main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What do mods look for?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Jedi_KNick, Apr 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Sometimes there are users who have caused problems in the past and have a clean notes section because some mods were forgetting that part of their job to keep a running history.

2. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    I can't remember if you guys already do this, but a user's notes should be wiped clean after 1 yr of no trouble (course, this still means I gotta wait about 10 months for mine to be clean thanks to a new(bie) mod, but whatever :p )

3. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    if we asked a MOD, could we see our rap sheet?

(does it include bannings from trivia games...are you keeping tabs on our intelligence? :p)

4. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Only group I've ever been a part of is FIGS...and we've always been completely open about our desire to rule the JC as evil, dark overlords.

5. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Wait, if grammar is so important for a modship, how did I get promoted?

//half joking.

6. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    5. Spelling and grammar. Yes, I do believe that spelling and grammar are important things for a moderator to have (and no jokes, please).

You spelled your own name wrong (not a joke, just an observation).

7. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Notice the "(and no jokes, please)" there? ;)

8. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    Notice the "(not a joke, just an observation)" there? :p

9. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Well, next time I'll say "no smart comments." Of course, you'll just say what you just said... [face_mischief]

10. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    It wasn't smart, just smart-ass :p

11. Quakake

Quakake Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 4, 2002
    I can't remember if you guys already do this, but a user's notes should be wiped clean after 1 yr of no trouble

Sounds like these user notes are like a credit rating. Maybe there should be a way a user would be able to see them and add a rebuttal to the notes to insure that the information is accurate. Or is that already possible?

12. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

The only thing in a person's admin notes are why they were banned (occasionally they're just warned), for how long, and by whom. There's no need for a rebuttal.

13. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    Any danger of me getting answers to my specific questions ? Or should I start my own thread ?

14. nashira

nashira Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2002
    pm an admin with your questions, Malkie.

15. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    PM an admin ? Is Comms redundant these days ?

Just to clarify, I publically asked the questions and asked anyone involved to PM me the answers. I don't really see the point in PMing everyone I want an answer from. Infact, I want an answer from you too, and you are not an admin.

So far I've had a chat with one mod, and a former mod (who agreed with me on a certain candidate). Pretty poor turn out really.

I think you've used the "Programmed Mod Response #2" at the wrong time.

edit 2 just to expand further.......seriously, its like having a conversation with a brick wall these days. Obviously you guys made a decision based on sound reasoning, I'd just like to understand these reasons given that you've overlooked quality candidates on this occasion.

I get the strong impression that you are on your proverbial high horse with a "we're the mod squad, don't question us, don't answer back" attitude, making it a killer trying to actually have a conversation with anyone on anything.

Then you start accusing people of being drama monkeys, or stirring trouble, or whatever, when all we really want is a fun and enjoyable internet home.

Seriously, its a real killer.

16. nashira

nashira Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2002
    no, actually, I don't feel comfortable telling you (and publicly) why we did or didn't promote the recent mods. If you want those questions answered, PM AN ADMIN. They will decide what to tell you.

17. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    Malkie, you have every right to have your questions answered but the quickest way to have this resolved would be to PM Kimball or Grilled. They would be able to answer your questions more effectively than anyone else IMO.

18. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I get the strong impression that you are on your proverbial high horse with a "we're the mod squad, don't question us, don't answer back" attitude, making it a killer trying to actually have a conversation with anyone on anything.

Hey, that isn't fair. Speaking personally, I haven't replied to your points here because I don't have a clue about your questions. No point wasting your time.

19. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    I'm presuming Kimball, GS and Raven have all read my requests as they are the dedicated mods for this forum. Repeating myself is a bit of a drag, but I suppose in the end thats exactly what I'm doing in this thread.

Hey, that isn't fair. Speaking personally, I haven't replied to your points here because I don't have a clue about your questions. No point wasting your time

Like I say, its the impression I get - I'm not stating it as fact. I'm concerned that you don't have a clue about my questions as I'm pretty sure you would have been invited to vote on the recent promotions. I'd hope you'd have taken the time to learn a little about the candidates and their various attributes. (unless you abstained).

Or, more worringly you voted according to the opinion of someone in the MS that you trust, thus perhaps propagating a biased opinion.

20. -_-_-_-_-_-

Apr 28, 2002
    Grilled, Raven, and Kimball have alot of things on their hands on a daily basis besides checking every post here. It would be fair to assume they haven't seen your request or may have overlooked it by chance. A PM would surely grab their attention.

21. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    A PM would surely grab their attention.

If that was the case, then why haven't you responded to my PM to you regarding your double standards ?

edit - damn typo

22. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    malkie, if you want to know why your suggestions were not chosem the answer is simple.

While we considered everyone that was mentioned to us, the MS then decided to promote dashy. We are under no obligation to promote anyone that you (or any other user) recommend to us, nor are we even obligated to consider any user suggestions.

In the end, the MS decided almost unanimously that dashy was the best candidate for the new JCC mod. You are not required to like it, but you are required to accept it and recognize his authority.

Kimball Kinnison

23. -_-_-_-_-_-

Apr 28, 2002
    If that was the case, then why haven't you responded to my PM to you regarding your double standards ?

I'm not really sure what you mean by double standard, but I replied to several of your questions through PM. With all due respect, I have a forum to moderate and hundreds of users whom post in it by the minute, so forgive me if I don't have the time to play PM tag with you.

24. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    ok, I would have accepted "we're not going to tell you" two days ago when I asked. Honestly, I was just trying to be a helpful JCC member by suggesting people. When they weren't selected I would have appreciated some feedback. I wasn't, so I posted in Comms and was met by a brick wall, and generally poor attitudes. It really doesn't make me want to be a helpful JCC user in the future.

recognize his authority

thats desperate for a South Park quote.

25. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    ok, I would have accepted "we're not going to tell you" two days ago when I asked.

Then it would have been the Ivory Tower/Mod Squad conspiracy follow-up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.