main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT What do people have against darth vader building c3po?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Lord Tyrannus, Oct 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    I thought that was a pretty cool idea. Why do people hate it so much?[face_shame_on_you]

tommy-lin likes this.
  2. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    Because it's one of too many coincidences between the PT and OT that make the galaxy feel far too small. Besides that, it felt contived, and an attempt to appeal to fans of the OT by shoe-horning in yet another familiar character.

"We have to get Threepio in the story. ... Ooh, I know! Anakin's good with machines! Let's make him construct Threepio!"
    "Oh, um, Mr. Lucas? Maybe we can have Threepio make an appearance on a ship somewhere, or..."
    "He was built by Anakin."
    "But wouldn't that create some inconsistencies with the first trilogy?"
    "He was built by Anakin."
    "But..."
    "You're fired."

3. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Shoe horning? What does that mean?

I agree with you that the galaxy had to be big. In sci fi, based on science and astronomy, galaxies are huge. I read one article claming that Padme should've been on alderaan, not naboo. I disagree. Adding a new planet to the story just makes the galaxy and universe more bigger and detailed. Other websites complained about Coruscant and mustafar not being in the originals. Which i think whoever wrote that is wrong. We need a bigger galaxy, not a smaller one.

I disagree with u. It felt "contrived, an attempt by shoe horning another yet familiar character"? What? Kinda like how yoda knew chewie?

4. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    Shoe-horning basically means wedging or jamming something into a story simply for the sake of having it in the story.
    Yes, Chewie and Yoda knowing each other is another example. Absolutely.

5. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    I think anakin building c3po was a cool idea. Regardless of c3po's origins, what I really liked about anakin and c3po was "like father like son". Both father and son had the same 2 pair of robot companions. It was cool. Agree or not?

Maybe c3po could've been just found on anakin's planet, and anakin found him, kinda like how ratchet found clank.

6. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Once you found out that Anakin had worked and repaired things for his owner, Watto, it isn't too hard to imagine the likelihood that he would be able to find parts to rebuild droids, too. And especially commonly seen ones as protocol droids that were littered around Watto's shop, junkyard, and every Star Wars movie in existence, for that matter.

Although Lucas has always stated that both droids would be in all the Star Wars films, it still comes off as a shoehorned idea to make Vader Threepio's maker. But since he plays such a minor role in the Prequels, it really isn't that big of a deal. Plus, he's just a machine. Most people in the Star Wars galaxy don't give them much notice anyway.

7. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    To all the people who don't like Vader making c3po, where do u think he should have come from?

8. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE

PoorGreedo likes this.
  9. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    From who? When? Why? How? Where?

10. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Things dont just appear out of nowhere. Maybe from another galaxy? I like c3po being anakin's companion, like he was to anakin's twin children, a parallel, but anakin building him was boring and pointless.

11. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    Learn to take a joke.
    Obviously, like everything in Star Wars comes from outer space. It's a galactic space opera.

12. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    That's your opinion. The Jedi Council Forums are not a place for endless continuity debates and speculation.

13. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    This is not a continuity debate. It's just a discussion on a certain plot point, other ways it could have happened, etc.

14. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    And the forums are not a place for the kinds of discussion you like.

15. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Ok.

16. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    lmaaaoo this conversation is hilarious.

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  17. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
  18. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    I guess we have concluded the conversation.

19. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    At last - and may it last. [face_praying]

=D=

[face_party]

20. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I thought it was a neat idea that provoked a lot of speculation, but simply having C-3PO involved with characters and on a planet he would later not know made for an awkward resolution by Episode III.

21. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    what is wrong with this particular plot point?

where to begin?

hmm,

1. as has already been stated, makes the galaxy too small and was a rather laughable lazy way to tie the trilogies together, he might aswell have made Yoda very good friends with Chewbacca..oh wait!

2. the proticol droid making industry mustn't make that much money, if ten year olds can make them.

3. Anakin knows 6 million languages? (ok I might be taking thhis to the extreme) but young audiances who take things literally will assume Anakin programmed him to know this many)

4. whast use does a proticol droid have to Shmi, is she in the habit of taking in lost strangers from all over the galaxy to which some wouldn't speak "intergalactic basic"?

22. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Anakin didn't build him from scratch. He just found most of the pieces to him and put him back together.

23. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    been awhile since I've seen the scene where Anakin shows Padme C-3PO

is there an exact quote in which Anakin says "I didn't build from scratch"?

I'm not doubting you or calling you a liar, I just can't remember.

24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It's mostly in the novel of TPM that Anakin's building of 3PO is expanded on.

25. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    Oh

I don't take too much notice of the novels especially ROTS's "Padme was Naboo's youngest queen" thing.

but anyway isn't C-3PO always talking about Anakin being his maker :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.