main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What do they "Represent"?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Tion_Meddon, Feb 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RamRed

RamRed Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    Why does Mace represent arrogance in your mind? What has he done that other Jedi Knights and Masters haven't done to have him labelled as arrogant?

OT Luke: Human strength and eventual victory.

For me, Luke represents Human failure, vulnerability, impatience, strength and eventual victory.

Yoda: wisdom

Obi-wan: guidance

Maybe in the OT, but in the PT? I don't know about that.

2. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    My view of Mace changed in light of Episode 3, and I no longer view him as representative of arrogance. I'd now say he's most representative of recklessness, as he's a man of action and never looks before he leaps. It's a charge one could possibly level at the entire Order, but I think Mace exemplifies it.

3. Darth-Erevos

Darth-Erevos Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 19, 2006
    OK great thread!! Thumbs up for Tion Meddon!! =D=

I agree with many of the above but i ll post mine anyway :D

I believe except the representations of ideals important are the antithesis between some characters
    so..
    Luke - Anakin: aspects of choices
    Luke: heroism (with everything the comes with it, courage, stupidness (hehe), pure heart, selfisness)
    Anakin: the greyness in us all, therefore the most iconic and important character
    Yoda - Palpatine: aspects of wisdom
    Yoda: selfless wisdom
    Palpatine: selfish wisdom
    3PO, Jar Jar: naive helpfulness (something like the "fool" in shakespear)
    R2D2: witty helpfulness (something like the "machine god" in greek tragedies)
    Padme: compassion (the fuel of anything humanitarian,or alienarian:))
    Leia: independence (the fuel of revolutions)
    Han: friendship (the fuel of any balanced life)
    Mace: arrogance (the price of power)
    Qui-Gon: the always "unsettled" factor that wants things to improve and does not relies on its achievements (fuel of constant evolution)
    Obi-Wan: mentor, guide, the teacher anyone needs
    TF, Watto, Jabba: aspects of greed
    Fetts and Jam: amorality
    Senators: decadence
    Dooku: the danger to follow a wrong path with the best intentions (so common in history)
    Maul: brain wash and simplicity of the "hardcore" warrior

4. JediMartaHupla

JediMartaHupla Jedi Youngling

Mar 12, 2005
    I think Han kind of represents redemption of a sort, besides Anakin, because ya know, he thought he was in it for the money then he changed his mind and became a better person, etc. Same for Anakin except replace power with money.

5. RamRed

RamRed Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    My view of Mace changed in light of Episode 3, and I no longer view him as representative of arrogance. I'd now say he's most representative of recklessness, as he's a man of action and never looks before he leaps.

I find this even harder to buy, considering he only did this once . . . when trying to arrest Palpatine. In fact, Yoda made this SAME MISTAKE, when he tried to kill Palpatine, later in the movie.

My biggest problem with Mace is that he had struck me as the type of man who had the potential to develop his own individuality - just as Qui-Gon had. But he had allowed his loyalty to the Order and strict adherence to the Jedi Code to hold him back (something that Obi-Wan seemed to have suffered, as well).

One, I never considered Yoda as being selfless. Most of his mistakes seemed to have been made due to his desire to maintain the status quo for himself and the Jedi Order . . . and his emotions regarding the Sith.

6. Darth-Erevos

Darth-Erevos Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 19, 2006

One, I never considered Yoda as being selfless. Most of his mistakes seemed to have been made due to his desire to maintain the status quo for himself and the Jedi Order . . . and his emotions regarding the Sith.[/quote]

Yoda tried to maintain the status quo not for him, but because he believed that it was a status that served well for all the people and the republic. And its was such for 1000 yrs, around as much as his age. You can blame him for lack of adaptation but that is a common thing in old men, even if they are wise. Yoda tried to do things best for common good as he believed it.

7. Heliosphan

Heliosphan Jedi Youngling

Feb 23, 2007
    This topic rules. The brilliant thing about Star Wars is that it's such a fantastic morality tale with fantastic Archetypal characters.

8. The_Force_within

The_Force_within Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 19, 2004
    I think Darth Vader should be considered a seperate entitity than Anakin, because they represent the two outer-most characteristics of a person..where Anakin represents the good and wanting/greed, while Darth Vader represents the evil and wanting/greed.

9. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I was thinking if Padme still represented Freedom, after Episode III.

I think she still does. Anakin always wanted to "come back and free the slaves." I think Anakin sees something of Shmi within Padme, he even tells her that he didn't want to lose Padme like he lost his mother. He goes to the Dark Side out of his love for Padme, for freedom and a better galaxy. But then he hurts Padme, like how he ended up hurting freedom for the galaxy. Though Anakin isn't the one who kills her, Padme lets herself die of a broken heart. Just like how the Republic gave up its own freedom, like Padme said, "So this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause." Then their children become the beacons of restoring that lost freedom, in the rebel alliance, and they succeed when Anakin chooses Luke's life over the Emperor, choosing freedom once and for all, freeing the galaxy.

It almost seems like it's a torch passed on in the Skywalker family. Shmi wanted Freedom, but had no power over it and just accepted her place, showing her kindness only when she could. Padme worked for Freedom, and did have the power, but she gave up and failed. The third generation, of Luke and Leia, had both Shmi and Padme in them, they worked for Freedom and were willing to die for it. But in the end, they both became helpless and powerless again, like their grandmother, but did not give up, unlike their mother. This moved their father, Anakin, to choose, and he finally chose his family: Freedom. This redeemed the mistakes of both Anakin and Padme, gave Shmi justice, saved the galaxy, and balanced the Force.

10. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003

I find this even harder to buy, considering he only did this once . . . when trying to arrest Palpatine. In fact, Yoda made this SAME MISTAKE, when he tried to kill Palpatine, later in the movie.

One could say that Mace was also reckless in allowing Anakin to go off on his own with Padme and in attacking the Geonosis arena(since he wasn't counting on the battle droids being ready.)

I guess I'll do my new list though

Anakin: Choice and/or Human Frailty

Luke: Choice/Heroism/Hope/Strength of the Human Spirit

Qui-Gon: Compassion

Yoda: Wisdom

Palpatine: Evil(Lucas has compared him to the devil afterall)

Padme/Leia: Liberty

Obi-Wan: The Mentor

Mace: Recklessness/Arrogance

Han: Rebellion

Chewie and Artoo: Loyalty

Threepio/Jar Jar: The Fool

Dooku: The road to hell is paved with good intentions

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.