main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What do we know/think of the states of the world?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Obi Anne , Oct 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    When reading the discussions in this forum I've always noticed that people like to reference their views on a topic by comparing different states and and naitons oft the world. This got me to start questioning how we view different countries, and how much knowledge we have about them.

Therefore I would like to start this discussion. Every week I will choose a state/country to discuss, I'm very happy to get suggestions for which country should be discussed. The discussion would hopefully involve most questions and views that people have about the state, for example history, politics, economics, social systems, ideologies and mentalities. It's not necessary to find a truth, but rather to discuss how we percieve the state, and how our views differ.

I would like to start off this topic by choosing the state to discuss.

This week's state is Germany.

Right now we have a discussion in the senate about German-American relations, Germany also inevitably comes up whenever world war II is discussed. So how do we view Germany today?

Germany (jûr´mene) , Ger. Deutschland, officially Federal Republic of Germany, republic (1995 est. pop. 81,338,000), 137,699 sq mi (356,733 sq km). Located in the center of Europe, it borders the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, and France on the west; Switzerland and Austria on the south; the Czech Republic and Poland on the east; Denmark on the north; and the Baltic Sea on the northeast. The official capital and largest city is Berlin , but many administrative functions are still carried on in Bonn , the former capital of West Germany.

encyclopedia.com

2. Emilie

Emilie Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 5, 2002
    So uh...
    What do you want us to say?

3. rsterling78

rsterling78 Jedi Knight star 5

May 26, 2002
    It'll be interesting to see what direction Germany takes now that the first generation of leaders who have little if any memory of World War II comes to power. With the war and the Holocaust passing from memory into history and with the Cold War over, Germany is being forced to re-evaluate itself.

4. Darth Mischievous

Darth Mischievous Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 12, 1999
    Although I've been to Austria, I've never been to Germany.

It seems that Germany with this past election is becoming more anti-US. I'm not sure if this is the case for the everyday German citizen, but it seemed so with the candidate who won.

I think Germany has become much more relevant since the horror that was WW II and the Cold War. They are starting to once again reassert themselves onto the world stage. The question rises: Can we trust them as an ally?

We will have to watch them (their politics, I mean) closely.

5. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Why do you need to watch them more closely than others? Do you feel that Germans, and German politicians are more likely to pursue aggressive politics than any other state?

6. Emilie

Apr 5, 2002
    and I would also like to come over the "anti-US" part...
    Disagreeing with the USA is NOT being anti-american!

7. Lady_Lucas

Lady_Lucas Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2002
    Hi Emilie!
    She has a point... my husband is French and I am American. Sometimes he disagrees with US policy but he is not anti-American. Actually there are plenty of things he really likes about the USA(American football/Star Wars ;) )

About Germany: This is how I view it, for educational purposes I like to look at the big picture of history. Sure we all know the horrifying results of WWII and Germany's involvement. There is alot of other things to see learn about Germany.

The History of the German people go back to about 1000 B.C. ,when warlike tribes began to migrate from nothern europe to what is now Germany. They wandered, hunted and farmed. About 100B.C. they moved south to the rivers and the Romans called them Germani and the land Germania.
    The Romans tried to conquer them but they couldn't. Clovis, a Frankish King(now France) defeated the Roman governor of Gaul in 486. The greatest Frankish ruler Charlemagne(now France) came to power in 768. He expanded his kingdom over what is now parts of Germany and brought Christianity to the Germanic tribes. The Franks stayed and claimed parts of Germany until about 962 which was beggining of the Holy Roman Empire.
    1024-1125 during the Salian Dynesty many German princes sided with the pope.
    1438-The Hasburg family of Austria began rule of Holy Roman Empire. 1517-Reormation began in Germany.
    1618-1648- Thirty years war between protestants and catholics devasted much of Germany.
    1815-German Confederation was established.
    1914-1918, The Allies defeat Germany in WWI and the German Empire ends.
    1933, Hitler establishes a Nazi dictatorship.
    1939-1945, Allies defeat Germany in WWII, and divide Germany into four military occupation zones in 1945.
    1953-Soviets crush an East German revolt. 1989-Berlin wall opens
    1990-East Germany and West Germany officially united and became the single nation of Germany.

There you go! A brief overview of almost 3000 years! Quite a history. That is one thing I love about studying European history...there is so much of it! :)

8. Joey7F

Joey7F Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2000
    I have two mental adjectives for the stereotypical German

1. Nazi
    2. Enterprising

They usually don't overlap, and the fact that they have become the opposite of anti-semitic has lessened my tendency towards the first.

Also visiting there drove that home even more. They are very friendly people on the whole, though almost half of the Germans I spoke with were friends of my father and treated him like family so my opinion is probably elevated too much :).

--Joey

9. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Emilie is right. Just because a nation is NOT for America does not mean we are against America. And it goes for posters here. You guys have such a limiting, "black and white" perspective. Germans are independent in their thought. And it happens to disagree with US imperialism. Why is that bad?

E_S

10. rsterling78

rsterling78 Jedi Knight star 5

May 26, 2002
    Germans are independent in their thought. And it happens to disagree with US imperialism. Why is that bad?

LOL! [face_laugh]

I'm going to start a thread about "The Biochemistry of Triglyceride Metabolism" and see how many posts it takes to get to the "bash America" post.

I'm guessing it would take one.

"That lecithin cholesterol acyl transferase enzyme is just another example of U.S. imperialism! Fascists!"

LOL! [face_laugh]

11. chibiangi

chibiangi Jedi Master star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    Germany has good beer and sausage.

or so I've been told...

12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Thanks to rsterling for proving my point in a way I couldn't. :D

Germany has some fascinating aspects to it that no other nation does. I'd attibute this to post-war reconstructionism, personaly. IIRC, the unemployed are entitled to four weeks paid vacation each year! And, unlike many nations, Germany states can engage in treaties and foreign relations with other countries, which can't happen in Australia or GB. It also wanted a place on the Security Council as a permanent member, which flustered the UK! :)I would also submit Germany is an example of a nation effectively dealing with shame and guilt, and I personally believe Australia could learn a lesson from that. And of course, who could forget German beer, the second best in the world.

13. Gimme5secs

Gimme5secs Jedi Youngling

Oct 1, 2002
    What I think of Germany;

Nazi's
    Arrogance
    Berlin Wall
    Opression
    Technologically adavnced

Kinda weird huh?

14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah, I guess... ?[face_plain]

E_S

15. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    My views on Germany, I love the country, it's beautifull, people are nice there is only 1 little problem why I never go there,

the language ;) :p

IIRC, the unemployed are entitled to four weeks paid vacation each year!

Isn't like that in any other European country? ?[face_plain]

16. Lady_Lucas

Lady_Lucas Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2002
    Alot of us in the USA have some German Heritage and at the University I have met real German exchange students. When I think of Germany I think:

Warriors of old(past)
    Cold/aloof people(some)
    Nazi Germany(the past)
    Beer
    They have to be pacifist now

17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    It may be the standard in Europe, but it certainly isn't here, nor the US.

E_S

18. Emilie

Apr 5, 2002
    Well, when I think of germany, here is what comes to my mind :
    - Great language (8 years of it at school was the greatest experience!)
    - Great people (the nicest, coolest people in Europe)
    - Beautiful countryside
    - Great food
    - Great friends (Anja, Jenny, another Anja, Alex... among others)
    - Great politic (Go Schröeder, I am so behind you!!!)
    - and politically France's best friend forever more, because we struggled so hard in the last century that we made sure it will NEVER happen again! :)

I LOVE Germany!

And if I may add something, I'm noticing lots of people think of Germany as Nazis. this time is over. I have a little story about it (yes, again. I'm very found of little stories ;) )
    It happened when I was in Woodland High School, when I lived in California. I was an exchange student, and there was Phillip who was an exchange student from germany. So naturally, we got to talk to each other and became friends. After some time, a group of students came to me and told me :
    "how can you talk to him?
    - uh... what?
    - yeah, you know... After what he has done do you!!!
    - uh... what has he done to me? (I trully didn't understand what they were talking about)
    - You know! He occupied your country, killed everybody...
    - !!!"

I found nothing to answer. Come on guys!!! I just was so shoched that I stood there with an opened mouth and begunn to think there was something wrong with American students.
    I must have looked so stupid at that moment that they taped me a "stupid french *******" label on my forehead, and I had do deal with it for the whole year I stayed there... (Rsterling, by the way, that's how I started to wonder why I wanted to see the "New World" so bad. And it went worst and worst everyday. And now I think the way I do (and you know what I'm talking about) )

So please, get over the nazi Idea. That was 50 years ago. Germans of today are in NO WAY responsible for it (just like you are not responsible for the slavery on America!)

19. Joey7F

Joey7F Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2000
    I don't think most Americans think of Germans as Nazis anymore. Though of course that visual comes to mind. Also the drunken bavarian guy in traditional clothing is another image.

--Joey

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    That's called stereotyping! It happens alot. People think we're all like Steve Irwin, but there's a reason he's more popular in Europe and the US than here! ;)

When I think of Germany, I tend to think of...Germans..?

E_S

21. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    It may be the standard in Europe, but it certainly isn't here, nor the US.

Oh too bad :(

22. tenorjedi

tenorjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2000
    Meine Deutsch.....ummm can't think of the word; oh well....sucks.

I love the German language. I'm half German so of course I'm one of those odd-balls in school that took it over Spanish. When I think of Germany, I think of Beer, wine fields and of course automobiles.

I of course don't associate Germany with anything Nazi. I beat up a kid in school once for implying since I was half German that I was a Nazi. He stopped after that. One thing about the anti-american climate that seems to be brewing. Any country that experiences economic hardships tends to become more self focused, and so I'm not surprised that Germany is thinking of itself before the US.

23. lavjoricso

lavjoricso Force Ghost star 4

May 25, 2001
    I really like the German people.

When i think of Germany the first thing that comes to mind is 'beer' as i usually go to every German beer festival in my city. Drinking large amounts of 'Holsten pils' and being served by lovely German women in traditional German clothing [face_mischief] .

I also love the language.My Dad speaks some German and my partner and i intend to learn the language in the next year.

I've met Germans in over ten different Countries around the world and everytime i've had a great time with them.

I'll probably go to German next year for a European cup game against Leverkusen or Bayern Munich !!!

24. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    Meine Deutsch.....ummm can't think of the word; oh well....sucks.

For starters, it's Mein. Yes, yes it does. :p ;)

I lived in Germany for 7 years, so I consider myself to have a reasonably accurate idea in my head of Germans and Germany.

First, Germans are not Nazis. Germany is the most anti-Nazi country in the world. Unfortunately, it also has more neo-Nazis than any other country in the world. In fact, Germans are so ashamed of the whole thing that patriotism almost doesn't exist there, for fear of Nationalism. Germans are loyal to their city, rather than the country. Those who are patriotic often move away, to either Canada or the United States. Such is what happened in my family.

Second, Germany does indeed have good beer and sausage. Second best beer in the world, after Canadian, of course.

Third, the will of the German people is unlike anything in the world. The German people suffered, during the 20th century, almost as much as the Jews did, first under the First World War, then under the Treaty of Versailles, then under the Nazis, then under the Allied bombings, then under the Communists. And, don't forget the division of the country for 45 years. Germans have rebuilt their lives and their cities in a remarkably short time, and are now one of the most powerful nations in Europe.

25. lavjoricso

lavjoricso Force Ghost star 4

May 25, 2001
    I agree with everything you just said AT60,apart from the 'Beer' bit.

True German beer is really good,but Canadian ? [face_laugh]

Other than that,i totally agree :D !!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.