main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What do you believe is wrong with society today?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Jedi Girl of Corellia, Sep 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tenorjedi

tenorjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2000
    Society wise it's a toss ups. Extremists in any form and Lawsuits.

Lawsuits are good when they protect a person or people from individuals or companies but they are the decay of society when they're to protect a person from themselves and their own stupidity.

Extremists, well the reasoning for choosing them is quite obvious.

2. B4DaDrkX

B4DaDrkX Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 8, 2002
    I agree with an earlier post. Religious zealots of all types. The kind that videotape women at abortion clinics, kill doctors, and come knocking at my door shoving their beliefs down my throat when I don't push mine on anyone. And the kind that blow up buildings, planes, etc. The world would be a much better place if these people lightened up and got laid. Maybe it would make them less tense and angry against anyone who disagrees with their primitive view of the world.

Or we could just kill them all. More wars are fought over/for religion than anything else. People use religion to hide behind to destroy and oppress. We need to rid ourselves of these ancient barbaric ways of dividing ourselves spiritually from others. Like John Lennon, I believe the world would be much better off with no religion and the animosity it spawns IMO.

3. Cheveyo

Cheveyo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2001
    What do I think is wrong with Society? I assume we are speaking of Western society, and or American society.

Arrogance and pomposity. A very VERY seldom few actually still have humility. Because of this social problem, "I am better than you, you are wrong, and I have been wronged; therefor, you owe me."

This single method of thought is the instigator of such social banes as frivolous lawsuits, road rage, riots, classroom violence, the Oklahoma City bombing, racial violence, cable television in prisons, countless wars, insurance fraud, some counts of theft, bar room brawls and most of the general rudeness that is found on city streets in the 21st century.

That, my friends, is what I think is wrong with society today.

4. Jarik

Jarik Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 21, 2000
    "More wars are fought over/for religion than anything else."

I saw a comic strip where a large caveman was beating up someone smaller. His buddy said, "No, no. First we invent religion to justify our actions and THEN we invent war."

5. Uruk-hai

Uruk-hai Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 26, 2000
    Society hasn't been the same since *dare I say it* the women's liberation movement.

6. chibiangi

chibiangi Jedi Master star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    Yeah let's blame it all on the feminists.

Smart.

7. Uruk-hai

Oct 26, 2000
    I'm not blaming it all on feminists, I'm simply saying that since the feminist movement began, western society has changed markedly.

8. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    Yes, women now have a say in politics. They have rights, they've entered the work place, not to mention that they've contributed to the world in many many ways...

But you do have a point. Feminist believe that they should be equal to men. Like that can ever happen. We will never be equal to them. Physically men are stronger, it is proven they have less complex thoughts (which in not a bad thing, it just means that we think differently, and men can't multitask as well as women).

So a woman would have trouble fighting in a war because if captured they could be raped and tortured in many different ways. In worse ways than a man. While women are better in other careers. The two sexes are not equal, they compliment each other. So we compensate for our weaknesses in different ways.

9. Bobavader

Bobavader Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 20, 2001
    not enough hooters bars

10. Ociredor

Ociredor Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2002
    The problem is that there's too much damn cycnism in the world. People tend to complain about the bad parts of life but never seem to focus on the good parts. They only care about themselves.

11. dizfactor

dizfactor Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 12, 2002
    I'm not blaming it all on feminists, I'm simply saying that since the feminist movement began, western society has changed markedly.

yes, it has. generally it's changed for the better in all the areas that feminism as seriously involved itself in.

12. Uruk-hai

Oct 26, 2000
    Nothing has all beneficial effects, not even feminism.

And I'd like to see this "proof" that men have less complex thoughts.

13. hanshootsfirst

hanshootsfirst Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 20, 2001
    1. Apathy

2. Our inability to accept our own inconsistencies/hypocrisies.

I'm not religious, but religion isn't the problem. It's a practice. How can it inherently do wrong?

Mankind's inability to update its religions or at least reconcile them with the age they find themselves in is what needs to be remedied.

If people need religion to get them through the day, they should be allowed to have it.

14. Darth_Corleone_80

Darth_Corleone_80 Jedi Youngling

Sep 5, 2002
    Simple. The problem with society today is that everyone has a different idea about what society should be like. And, of course, no one can full agree on what is right or wrong.

15. Obi-Wan McCartney

Obi-Wan McCartney Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 1999
    Personally, I believe the earth and society are better than they've ever been. Well, perhaps the environment could be a little cleaner, but that's it. Now is great, and better than 50 years ago for sure.

16. Leia800

Leia800 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 25, 2000
    A general lack of empathy. People are too concerned about their immediate pay-offs and how they're going to get ahead. We're told over and over again that nice people finish last. If one stopped and put themselves in others shoes...not to intrude in that persons life but to just step back and see where they're coming from...a lot of our problems would cease to exist. Instead of looking down on someone because they don't have the education/money/beliefs/looks/material possesions that we do, people could instead focus on the things that person has gone through to get where they are or what's going on in their life.Example: I used to work in retail at a mall, so most of the people I saw were the same cookie-cutter perfect blonde types. One day a lady with a near buzz cut walked in. I made a comment to a friend of mine about her hair that was derrogatory at best. It turned out that the lady had just gotten out of a series of Chemo treatments and had finally beat cancer. She had gone through something that would pale the stongest men I know and I had just made fun of her. Im not perfect, but I've changed since and I'll never forget that lady..hopefully she's forgotten me.

So I guess I wrote a really wordy way of agreeing with JediOverlord

17. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Lack of compassion, fear of being creative.

Greed.

Greed.

Greed.

E_S

18. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    It's weird when you have a tendancy to imagine what it'd be if you filled other people's shoes. You actually become much less apt to live in today's society, because you'll always be giving small favors and making little gestures to help others fell better, and seldom be getting anything in return - outside the circle of your friends. Human beings behave like social predators today, and that behavior is idealised in a great many ways. So when you're the odd man out, the "herbivore" of society, others just don't usually care, and you end up as mincemeat for your fellow human predators.

19. sultan_of_agrabah

sultan_of_agrabah Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 11, 2002
    That fact that we can ever be honest about ourselves. Everyday we say something in our head and hesitate to say it aloud becasue we are afraid of what people think."this might be queer, or man that is faggot stuff". The fact that our society has this vision of having perfect bodies and perfect peronalities and if we are anything less than that we are worthless. It's no wondert he suicide rate has gone up. More and more (especially teenagers) need to feel like they belong, and more and more society raises the bar. The "in" crowd, dominates and makes everyone else want to be like them, or be with them. And these people spend their time teasing and ridiculing the other, less than perfect people. It can also explain all of the school shootings. OUr so called "society" needs to shape up.

20. Darth Mischievous

Darth Mischievous Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 12, 1999
    2 words:

Irresponsibility and Immorality

21. Na Wibo

Na Wibo Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 28, 2000
    My opinion of what's wrong: People have too little control of their own lives and are taught to compete with each other to compensate for this. This leads to things other people have mentioned: greed, lack of empathy/compassion.

22. Tupolov

Tupolov Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Many things.

1. Too many people care too much what too many other people think of them

2. Money

3. The Media

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.