main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit What do you consider the most heroic death in the Star Wars Universe?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by wookieworth, Mar 27, 2013.

1. wookieworth

wookieworth Jedi Youngling

Mar 27, 2013
    When I read about Chewbacca's death, I shed tears.

I can just picture him standing on a mountainside shaking his fists as if he were challenging the moon about to crash into its planet just after after throwing young Anakin Solo back into the Millennium Falcon.

And then I think about Han Solo's reaction and how it affected him throughout the rest of the NJO series. This I consider the most heroic death of any of the characters within the EU of Star Wars. A close second is Anakin Solo's.

This isn't a poll as there should be plenty of differing answers.

2. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    Well, Ganner Rhysode was pretty much a moron, but he did have an epic death!

3. eddie1969

eddie1969 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 3, 2005
    I'm with you: Chewbacca's death is the most epic, and had the most emotional repercussions!! I did not see that one coming at all!!!!

wookieworth likes this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My thoughts exactly. Chewie went down telling the moon exactly what it could do to itself.

And I cried for the next two chapters plus the last chapter of that book when they revisit Sernpidal.

Chewie has my vote, although I haven't read Anakin Solo's death yet.

5. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    Ganner's death was freaking insane.

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Chewie, Anakin Solo and Ganner Rhysode. Best 3 deaths in Star Wars EU.

7. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    Difficult to parse such a question because to do so you have to define what 'heroic' means in the context of death.

For example: Chewbacca's death is emotionally impacting but accomplishes nothing. He dies defiantly, but his final actions change nothing. Ganner's death, by contrast, has very distinct consequences, had he not chosen to undertake an act of valiant self-sacrifice, going into a hopeless battle, there would have been a substantially different outcome.

That being said, I believe, if we aren't restricting this to EU only, that Darth Vader is supposed to have the most heroic death in Star Wars - something about turning away from the ultimate triumph of evil and sacrificing himself for the sake of his family while destroying the Emperor in the process. Of course, he screams 'Noooo!' now and totally ruins the moment, so I'm not so sure anymore.

In the EU though, hmm...I'm not an NJO fan so none of those deaths ever struck me that much. Death scenes of any character of substance are rare in other timelines though. For now, I'll give a brief shout-out to Celeste Morne, since she popped into my head first when the topic came up.

8. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Anakin Skywalker, ex-Darth Vader.

9. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    He saved the son of his best friend and a ship full of civilians.

10. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    Ganner.

Anakin Solo is one of the most beautiful, heroic characters the franchise has, and his death was certainly heroic and self-sacrificing, but my emotional reactions to his loss are largely tied up in other moments. I feel his actual death is designed to evoke a semblance of tragedy and grim reality. That doesn't mean it wasn't heroic, but...I associate it with tragedy more than heroism.

Ganner's death was pure heroism. The point where reality meets myth and we believe it.

11. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    ?

Chewie died saving Anakin Solo and a ship full of civilians he never even met, as Gorefiend mentioned. Those are the final actions that caused his death. Obviously saving Anakin had distinct consequences, and I'm sure those civilians thought survival was a substantially different outcome than death.

12. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  13. Minez01

Minez01 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 12, 2005
    Apart from the obvious responses above (Chewie/Solo) I'll throw in Bria Tharen from the HST - from memory, she took her team on a virtual suicide mission to steal the death star plans and beam them to Tantive IV?

my kind of scum likes this.
  14. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Phow Ji, Republic hero.

Plat Mallar.

15. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    The Emperor, dying at the hands of a deranged Sith Lord and his Jedi accomplice because he refused to surrender the galaxy to the forces of anarchy. :p

Seriously, it's Obi-Wan Kenobi. He surrenders himself to death without regret so that his old friend's son can survive to build a better future. What's more heroic than that?

16. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    Ganner

17. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Anakin Skywalker. Nobody ****s with the son of a Skywalker. Not even the Emperor.

minnishe and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  18. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    you all are wrong... there is only one heroic death in the entire SW universe surpassing even Anakin Skywalkers, Ganner Rhysodes, Chewies and others!

Owen and Beru Lars death.. faithful to Luke and defiant to the Empire to the last bit!

19. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    True. I would love to see Owen screaming profanities at Vader through the holoconnection as the stormtroopers had him and his wife at gunpoint.

"%^!& you, Skywalker! %^!& you up your %^$#& %$^&%$!"

20. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008

Ryus, cdgodin, Circular_Logic and 3 others like this.
  21. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    That was more... *******-y than heroic.... ;)

22. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    The lines between ******* and hero is thin indeed.

Err, I think I got that wrong.

Barriss_Coffee and kataja like this.
  23. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    And that idiot Luke named his son after liar Ben.. instead of heroic Owen... d'oh! please Sequels.. give me OWEN SKYWALKER.. not Ben

or at least BERU SKYWALKER

24. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    He obviously should have had a daughter and named her Biggs.

Ryus, Barriss_Coffee and kataja like this.
  25. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    He should have named her Ahsoka, after the wise hermit who trained him (better than Yoda!) between ESB and RotJ.

*ducks, and runs*

Barriss_Coffee and beccatoria like this.