main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What do you do about writer's block?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Kit' , Apr 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    I've searched the back pages for a topic along similar lines (so as not to make this redundant) but I couldn't find one.

I was just wondering if people did anything in particular when they had writer's block? Recently (as my friends will attest, I've only posted one story post in last 4mnths of so), I've had really bad writer's block and there has been nothing I can really do to get over it...

Just wondering what other people do...

Kit

2. Melyanna

Melyanna Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    It depends on the extent of the block.

If I'm stuck on a scene, I move on to another scene, either in the same story or in another. Usually the next morning in the shower I figure out what to do with the scene in question.

Other times I end up in a situation like I'm in right now, where nothing seems to work for weeks at a time. In those cases, I find it best to look at other things going on in my life. For example, in the last couple of weeks I've been under a tremendous amount of stress, and the fact that I can't seem to write anything with any amount of ease probably has something to do with it.

So in other words, do yoga, get in touch with your inner sanctum, and find a way to relax. ;) Hopefully the words will flow again.

3. Jemmiah

Jemmiah Jedi Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    I have always found the easiest way to defeat writer's block is to continue to write. Even if it's a load of rubbish, even if you don't want to do it, just the act of typing the words down is enough to get things flowing. :)

4. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Sometimes I go for a long walk, half an hour or more, and think about things. It's a way of relaxing and getting away from stress.

5. TheSwedishJedi

TheSwedishJedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 15, 2001
    I usually stop writing and let it sit for a while. Write on something else or stop all together. Sometimes my brain just needs to stop and refuel. I'll usually think, many hours later and far away form my computer, about where I want to go with the story and how and usually something pops up that I hadn't thought of before.

Just try to relax and not think about it so hard. Sometimes your brain works on problems you're having without you knowing it and things will suddenly click.

6. mouse2

mouse2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    If it's for a certian story, I'll put it to the side and work on something else. Then once my brain gets on a different wavelength something comes to me.

If it's just in general, then I read anything that I can get my hands on. :)

Of course like Jane said take a long walk, or go for a drive. That's when the ideas come when you have nothing to take notes with! :D

7. Darth_Tim

Darth_Tim Jedi Master star 4

Feb 26, 2002
    Usually, I just move on to another scene, even if it's just outlining it or putting in a couple lines of dialogue. I'm lucky in that my fic is big enough and varied enough that there's usually SOMETHING I can write on it at a given time.

-Tim

8. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    I try to catch myself before DWB occurs. Just put the fic out of my mind, reading is a great way to do that. Depending on what you read you can get some great ideas for your next post!

9. I-poodoo

I-poodoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2001
    I pace around the house, the act of moving my legs seems to help move my brain out of the mud it was stuck in.
    If it's something more severe, I do something that requires little brain power. Watch TV (the news, weather channel, or a soap opera), play a video game (fighting games require no brain power-just button mashing), or take a shower. Usually I get an idea that'll help conquer that blockage and make me run to this here computer.

10. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Sometimes I do housework; mindless tasks such as cleaning the refr--I mean bathroom, doing dishes, vacuuming. It doesn't really help writer's block, but at least I have a clean house at the end of the day.

11. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Jedi_Anakin_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 27, 2001
    Know what u're going to be writing b4 you sit down. If you have at least a rough outline of your story written out, you will always know where your post falls in your story and what u're building up to. I know that a lot of people don't outline, but it really helps avoid Darth Writer's Block.

Here's a quote from Terry Brooks in a Q&A at the end of the Episode I Novelization that pretty much sums it up: "Read, read, read. Outline, outline, outline. Write, write, write. Repeat." :). Hope that was somewhat helpful.

12. FELICIA_ZEZILI

FELICIA_ZEZILI Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 5, 2001
    Usaually if I have writers block it means one of two things: I've written myself into a corner (which I have done before) or I've got my mind on another story and have lost interest in doing the other one.

If it's the first I'll write what's inevitable (just to have something written) then move on to the next scene. once I'm done the chapter I just go back and rewrite it by then I have a plan.

If the second I just write the other story part I was thinking about. Once thats out of the way I can focus on the other story.

At the moment I'm haveing dialogue writer's block anyone got any cure for that?

Felicia Z.

13. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Outline, outline, outline.

Interesting. Stephen King wrote against this in On Writing.

14. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    ONly issue is that sometimes the ideas do come, and then I sit in front of the computer and they die...

Dialogue block? (Know how to get over this!). Normally I see if I can role-play it out with my boyfriend and flatmates. It sounds dorky but it seems like if you start the dialogue up you normally get ideas.

Kit

P.S: THANK YOU to everyone who has posted so far. I'm going to go try out as many of these ideas as possible!

15. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Work on a different story until something sorts itself out. I've got a story that's been languishing on my floppy since January of 2001, because I've done the "written yourself into a corner."

So... I put it away, did something completely unrelated to writing, then had an idea related to a completely different plot bunny... The first story is STILL waiting to be completed.

It helps to have more than one story going for you. You can switch back and forth if the ideas aren't coming.

16. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Plaigarize! ;)

17. Jaded Skywalker

Jaded Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 1999
    For me I do one thingy if I am stuck in a scene or just a general lack of words.

I'll look outside my window or go on a walk. Then, once outside, I will find something that catches my eye. If it is a fallen leaf, a drooping flower, a cat on a widowsill... it doesn't matter. Then, in my mind or on my computer if I am just looking out the window, I write as much as I can about that one thing. I try to make is as pretty and poetic as possible. I try to write at least half a page on the topic.

By the time I have let loose all adjectives and descriptions the juices are once again flowing and my mind ready to write on real things.

:)

18. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    I usually find that getting away and relaxing helps me. It doesn't matter how, just something that you enjoy doing. That is usually when the ideas come. I also find it helpful to talk things over with someone. Conversation can often spark an idea.

19. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Jedi_Anakin_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 27, 2001
    "Interesting. Stephen King wrote against this in On Writing."

Whatever works for individual people. I respect Stephan King as a writer, but he isn't some kinda deity, ya know?

20. JM-Anakin-Solo

JM-Anakin-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2002
    I haven't ever really suffered from total writer's block. I have 3 stories that I am working on and they are very different. So if I get blocked on one I go to another.

However, sometimes I can get short term writer's block when I am unsure of what to do in a scene I am in the middle of writing. When this happens the first thing I will do is start pacing. I run several different scenarios through my head and usually one of them will fit.

If that doesn't work then I turn on the TV or start a movie. Taking my mind off it allows my subconscious to think and it usually will find a good solution quickly.

Another thing I do is take a shower. For some reason I do my best thinking in the shower. This almost always gives me some idea of what to do.

The final thing I do is to just go to sleep. I'll think of what I have so far before I go to sleep then when I wake up it will usually just hit me. When I was recently at the beach I knew I wanted to right a fic about the beach, but I wasn't sure what. I went to sleep that night thinking of all I had seen that day. When I woke up I had been dreaming my story and it hit me. I sat in bed for an hour just thinking about it and making mental notes. Then for the rest of the day I was on the beach swimming and relaxing and taking in all the details.

Hope that helped. :)

21. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Whatever works for individual people. I respect Stephan King as a writer, but he isn't some kinda deity, ya know?

I know :).

22. Flask

Flask Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 22, 2000
    I agree with Jemmiah. Continue to write even if all that flows forth is a load of substandard rubbish. The rubbish can be refined or scrapped entirely later on.

23. GreyJediAntarFodoh

GreyJediAntarFodoh Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 3, 2001
    I respect Stephan King as a writer, but he isn't some kinda deity, ya know?

Are you kidding me? I've got two words for ya, Shawshank Redemption.

About Darth Writer's Block... I'll tell you how I defeated him if I ever do.

24. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I usually step back from the computer for afew days if it's really bad. I find that as a great way to fall back into the swing of things. But then if that doesn't work it makes me re-think of what I'm writing in the first place and why. Usually, to me, if you're stuck for to long, that might mean it's time to wrap up the story and finish it. Catching writers block is usually a sign that the story is done, or nearly finished, or the writer has taken on to much and needs a break.

25. C_Minor

C_Minor Jedi Master star 3

May 21, 2001
    Talk and walk.

If you find you hit a certain point in a scene when you hit writer's block, a lot of the time you'll find it's because you can't logically figure where it should move to from there. Hearing the words you've written helps immensely. Start reading the dialogue out. Play all the characters, do it convincingly, and you'll find once you've hit the end of the page, your mouth will keep moving. Works like a charm. It might not get you out of the situation completely, but it'll get the ball rolling again.

Failing that, role play works well. Find a mate on line, take a character, and just improvise, bouncing off eachother. A fresh perspective is great in these situations. You might noe be able to use any role play, it being very rough (unless you've had a lot of practise, much of my dialogue comes from RP) but it should give you a few new ways to look at the scene you're stuck on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.