main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What do you guys do?

Discussion in 'Archive: Scotland' started by S-ROD, Feb 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. S-ROD

S-ROD Jedi Youngling

Feb 21, 2008

I am always interestted in hearing about the vocations of other self confessed nerds like myself. I am a multimedia designer and am currently trying to get design work in the Glasgow area. So whats your 9-5?

2. Tone

Tone Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 17, 2005
    I work in a school doing pupil support and I teach people Gaelic.

3. JED1

JED1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 1998
    I'm an Account Manager in a Government organisation working in the Trade & Investment sector!

4. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Not Scottish, but I'm a part-time student restudying one last module in a BA in Tourism Management, and I'm currently in employment limbo, but in the frame for a Travel Consultancy job with Travelcare.

5. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    I work in a HE college as a Learning Resources Assistant (Library and computers basically) for 4 days a week, the rest of the week I work as Learning Support with students who need assistance in their college work.

Incidently, I did a year of training as a multimedia designer - stuff like photoshop, flash, director, etc ;)

6. Miso_Jace

Miso_Jace Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2007
    Currently working part time in a boring retail job, also a student.

7. Stormtrooper_fan

Stormtrooper_fan Jedi Master star 5

Aug 23, 2003
    Not Scottish either but I make Jewellery, Greetings Cards, and gift wear but am branching out into Bath & Body products and also Wedding stuff (Garters, stationary, favours, silk or crystal bouquets & bridal wear etc).

Best job I ever had working for myself :)

8. Cobar_Yik_Jedi

Cobar_Yik_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2005
    I'm disabled and unable to work, but i prefer to say I'm a full time dad and ordained minister of Jediism, when i could work though i was a chef

9. MrDankDonk

MrDankDonk Jedi Master star 4

Mar 28, 2001
    journalist, in glasgow city centre

10. Miso_Jace

Jun 1, 2007
    What publication do you write for?

11. MrDankDonk

Mar 28, 2001
    :) not giving away that much personal info.

But its the big newspaper bulding up next to the multi-storey UGC, cowcaddens end of town...

12. Miso_Jace

Jun 1, 2007
    Ahhhh I know what you're talking about. Do you find it to be a rewarding job?

13. MrDankDonk

Mar 28, 2001
    in the sense that they pay me a monthly salary for writing pretty much what I see fit to put in my allocated section of the publication..... which gives me lots of room to direct my own working day ..... it is rewarding.

However, I'm also union rep hereabouts, and am frequently reminded that current owners are DIDDYRIDES of the worst kind, and not at all concerned with the quality of the publications so long as they have the requisite number of advert pages and can be produced on a constantly reducing budget.

so, its good to be involved in creative stuff, and have a job with a bit of brain, but the more you know about the business, the more you realise that the management classes are awful awful shallow people.

what you studying?

14. Miso_Jace

Jun 1, 2007
    I think the above is true for the management level of almost every company! Certainly in my experience anyway.

This past year, I've been doing Psychology, Sociology, History & Politics at college, but I have been accorded a conditional offer from Strathclyde to do English & French this coming September, so now that my exams are finished, I'm just anxiously awaiting my results at the start of august.

15. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Just to update from last time, I now work for Orange.

16. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Better change yer colours then :p

17. MrDankDonk

Mar 28, 2001
    can you find out why, after I was sold a phone contract on the basis that I'd get FREE wanadoo broadband as part of the package, they kept taking the broadband direct debit out of my account, and now owe me the best part of £300, but its impossible to talk to the plamffs because of the call centre barricade they put up between their customers and anyone who might actually be able to deliver customer service ?

18. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    I could try, but I only deal with registrations, and even then I only get to talk to retailers.

Just complain, (If you already have, just complain some more).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.