main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What do you guys think of this?

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by MyEternalRest, Sep 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MyEternalRest

MyEternalRest Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 24, 2002
    Fans have been asking just how the Clone War cartoons will fit into continuity of Episode II and III and we've managed to find a few details. Basically, Durge and Asajj Ventress have been considered standard EU characters who aren?t in Episode III. As we know, the animated series The Clone Wars take place between Episodes II and III and on no way have influenced the master himself as he's worked on the production of SW3. In fact, Lucas rarely has input into the EU stuff in the animation, books, comics, etc except laying out the broad area where the authors and animators and artists can work.
    So basically The Clone Wars will help you 'enrich the story' like say Animatrix, but they definitely aren't required viewing to get the most out of Episode III. But us? We're not going to miss a one.

2. slobadog

slobadog Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2002
    I thinks its good.

3. Rise_Of_Thrawn

Rise_Of_Thrawn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 24, 2003
    He has little input into the overall storyline because it is not his job to create the storylines of the Expanded Universe. He goes over the storylines/plots and accepts them for publication, though, in case there is something he does not approve of.

4. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    Lucas has to approve the storyline of each major novel, but apart from that, he doesn't do much else, IIRC...

5. MyEternalRest

Mar 24, 2002
    Then while Eu may be cannon to a certain number of you you have to admit that while it may be cannon it is so to a lesser extent than to the movies? As far as Lucas' telling of his story.

6. Rise_Of_Thrawn

Aug 24, 2003
    Troy Denning uses the phrase "Playing in Lucas' Universe" for what the EU authors do.

I'm tired of people thinking that SW is ONLY GL's story and that everything he says is holy and everything else is "crap." Star Wars is Star Wars, no matter who writes it.

7. MyEternalRest

Mar 24, 2002
    I'm not saying it isn't Star Wars; I'm saying since it is GL's story(I don't see any way of getting around this) the movies are more something from the original creator as opposed to an expander and therefore a little more cannon(if indeed there is a degree but I think if any agreement is to be made there is some compromise)than the EU.

8. Iron_Fist

Jan 30, 2003
    Look at it this way:

[image=http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/HateMail/RSA/Continuity.png]

The movies are guaranteed canon, while most of the EU is canon, but not all of it is. The part that is not is "Star Wars Tales" and "Star Wars Infinites". ;)

Oh, and BTW, it's canon, not cannon. ;)

9. Rise_Of_Thrawn

Aug 24, 2003
    We all know that Lucas made the movies and not the novels. It doesn't make the novels any less Star Wars, only less Lucas. There's a big difference there.

10. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Attn: MyEternalRest

[image=http://www.xbox-connection.com/hostedimages/TheEUIsCanon2.JPG]

11. SirLancelot

SirLancelot Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2002
    god i hate that term, canon.

its so trivial and pointless in nature. i dont care if something is canon or not. canons to me are nothing more then a battlefield impliment.

to me the proper term is accepted continuality. which most novels, comics, and IIRC the cartoons fall under. unless it is the dreaded infinities. which are fun to take a different look and see some cool what if situations.

As for Lucas having limited input over the EU, i like the idea. the truth is he still controls what comes out, and if something really dosent jive then he can veto it. The idea of him giving a general story i like. becasue that way the authors and srtists can have alot of freedom but still withen acceptable boundries. in a way it brings new life into the industry, and allows many more stories to be told.

12. MyEternalRest

Mar 24, 2002
    ousley, you saying that it is is of no more signifigance that me saying it isn't.

13. Iron_Fist

Jan 30, 2003
    Psst... he's referring to you spelling it "cannon" instead of "canon" ;)

14. Gaeri

Gaeri Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 12, 2003
    Then while Eu may be cannon to a certain number of you you have to admit that while it may be cannon it is so to a lesser extent than to the movies?

As I understand it, LFL has put out a hierarchy (for lack of a better term) of continuity. On this list, yes, the movies are ranked above the novels and comics and so forth, but all are included under the heading of "canon" or "continuity".

Different degrees when it comes to "canon" is not uncommon. I study religious studies at my school, so I'm going to use the Bible as an example (it's habit) - - but I am in no way equating SW to the Bible. Just showing how the term "canon" can be used. The entire New Testament is considered "canon", but some people believe that there are discrepancies among different chapters. The official Roman Catholic Church's opinion is that the most recent viewpoint is the correct one. If an early chapter says one thing, and a chronologically later chapter says another, the latter chapter is considered to be right, with the reasoning that the early author may have said something incorrectly and the next author fixed it. There is a hierarchy of chapters in the Bible, going chronologically backwards, but the whole thing is nonetheless considered among the "canon".

---> Thus having different degrees of canon-icity (is that a word?) in the SW universe is not a totally wild idea, though I maintain that Bible "canon" and SW "canon" are in no way related.

15. A-WingsRule

A-WingsRule Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    According to Lucas Licensing Editor Sue Rostoni, "Canon refers to an authoritative list of books that the Lucas Licensing editors consider an authentic part of the official Star Wars history. Our goal is to present a continuous and unified history of the Star Wars galaxy, insofar as that history does not conflict with, or undermine the meaning of Mr. Lucas's Star Wars saga of films and screenplays." Things that Lucas Licensing does not consider official parts of the continuous Star Wars history show an Infinities logo or are contained in Star Wars Tales. Everything else is considered canon.

:)

~Clear skies

16. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    ousley, you saying that it is is of no more signifigance that me saying it isn't.

I said it's "canon" and you said it isn't "cannon."

Of course it's not "cannon," because

[image=http://www.xbox-connection.com/hostedimages/TheEUIsCanon3.JPG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.