main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What do you hate most about the NJO.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AurraMouse, Sep 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    The destruction of so many planets like they were..........cities. Now even a small loss of life seems awful to me. The authors have made their points.

Does every planet in the galaxy have to fall? What good were the sacrifices of Padme and Anakin Skywalker, and Ben, and Yoda, and countless billions? What of the hard efforts of Luke and Leia? Does it all come to nothing? If so, it undermines the saga before we even have the whole of it.

2. RingoJuna

RingoJuna Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 18, 2001
    The wait between books, and that is all

3. DropsofJupiter

DropsofJupiter Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 27, 2001
    Where do I start? [face_plain]

The abuse Han and Leia's relationship was put through for so long. Driving Mara's illness into the ground. I got so sick of reading about it. I don't hate Mara, she's a cool character. What I didn't approve of was how many times the authors made a point of saying just how sick she was. Ok, we get the point. You don't need to go into pages of detail over it! Especially when you're ignoring the original couple of Star Wars. Not to mention the stupid way it was the illness was resolved. Please! :mad:

Luke's unwillingness to take action. Kyp is too extreme, but Luke needs to realize that in order to protect the Jedi, he and his fellow Knights will have to fight. It's either that or face anniliation. :(

Jacen Solo. Before the NJO I liked all the Solo kids, but Jacen has gotten on my nerves. I think he needs to go mediate on some uninhabited planet for a long time and watch how the galaxy needs him. Maybe then he'll once again use the Force to preserve life. He's done it before, and he should do it again. [face_plain]

Finally, killing major characters. I didn't find that a good way to start the series. Poor Chewie. :_| And then poor Elegos' gilded skeleton. That was brutal. :(

4. menilma

menilma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 25, 2001
    now I hate jacen and suddenly anakin is invincible. I never really got that he was SOOOO much better then his siblings.
    maras illness sucked and the vong have now taken over almost half the galaxy. it will be very intresting to see just how the authors manage to make the NR win without being unrealistic [face_devil]
    but some of the NJO books are good and some of the other books were bad, everything can't be thrawn.

5. Lady_Cat

Lady_Cat Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2001

1. The way they handled Han and Leia's relationship.

2. The way death, destruction, injuries are being presented with so little emotional impact.

3. The way that Luke is written as being self-centered and self-absorbed. As long as he, Mara, and the baby are not threaten he is not going to take any action.

4. The dropped characters and storylines.

6. Balance_Point

Balance_Point Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2001
    The wait for each and every book. We only got three this year, and one of them has yet to come out. It can be excruciating. Hopefully next year will be better.

Other than that, I love the NJO. I've enjoyed each and every book, and while some are better than others, there hasn't been a bad one yet IMO. I can't wait for Star by Star.

7. -Vergere-

-Vergere- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2001
    Q: "What do you hate most about the NJO."

A: Nothing. There are many angles and perspectives explored in this broad story arc which are both refreshing and familiar at the same time.

Most people that hate this series hate it most because they are frustrated with the lop-sided victories of the YV and utter inaction on the part of the NR and jedi to fight back IMHO. But that is exactly the sort of feeling that the editors and authors wish to evoke. The YV pose a threat which cannot be extinguished in a matter of 2 or 3 books. Furthermore, the unique point about this series is that the NR and jedi are at war with themselves as much as with the enemy (they don't agree on many things and the Peace Brigade/NR people are ready to hand over refugees and jedi for their own sake). And in a broad story arc like this, things must get alot worse before they can get better. It is simply the nature of the beast. You may understand that, but you may not like it.

8. Emiaj

Emiaj Jedi Master star 2

Jun 10, 2001
    The typos. Especially in Rebirth.
    OH! It just makes me so MAD!!!

9. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    I have a whole list of things that I dislike about the NJO, but above all, I don't like the darkness, violence, and devastating loss of beings and worlds in that GFFA, and the fact that the adult SW books have morphed into a new Young Jedi Knight series. The only characters who accomplish anything are the teenagers, while the Original Trilogy characters and all other characters over the age of 25 are portrayed as old, weak, tired, stupid, and useless, Luke Skywalker most of all.

10. _JM_

_JM_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 26, 2001
    I dislike how divided the New Republic is, though this is consistent with the other novels.

All through the years we got told that the Old Republic had become a sewer, disunified, weak, powerless, impotent...and so the Empire was not created by the overthrow of a functional government (as we finally heard Queen Amidala say "It is clear to me the Republic no longer functions...") and so wasn't as bad as it could have been.

But now after a few short decades the New Republic has fallen if anything further from being a unified organisation than the Old Republic did in thousands of years which seems to belittle the sacrifices made to create and defend this government.

(And I'd also rather that the "old guard" were not being so badly overshadowed by the Solo youngsters, maybe slightly overshadowed to show a shift in emphasis but not completely)

11. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I hate the fact that Mara is cured. The BWB (if you have to know what that means, PM me) deserved to die in VotF and the fact that she's now spawning a new generation just BUGS me! Why couldn't Luke have found a GOOD match?

12. Galleon

Galleon Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 26, 2001
    What do I hate, gee where to begin
    first I must say that I don't hate all of NJO, strongly dislike, yes, but hate, not yet but give it time and I think I can build up that kind of emotion.
    While I don't hate all of it there are numerous points which I do hate.
    -As mentioned by several other people, the Solo kids are getting annoying!
    -Also a common mention dropped plots and Storylines. One of the things that I was looking forward to in NJO is a unity between novels which the Bantam series lacked, and instead look at what we get.
    - The drooping of characters also annoys me, I liked Ganner and Danni and would like to see what is happening with them, like how Ganner reacts to Kyp now etc.
    -MARA JADE, one of my favorite characters, is starting to bug me, and to me it seems like they are trying to kill her with out killing her.
    - Vong while I liked them in Conquest, look to me like they just stepped out of a episode of Flash Gordon or something.
    - Star Wars has bitten the hand that has fed it with the other main characters, Weather you want to admit it or Not Han, Luke, Leia, and Chewbacca have become a part of world pop culture and the constant abuse that these characters and other classic Characters like Wedge have been taking. These are the characters who built this universe and now they get what? A moon crashed on them, a broken home, and a Coward, Gee where do I sign up for the Fan club. :mad:
    Oh well that's all for now, like I said I don't hate it yet and in fact I enjoyed VP and Conquest.

13. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    Hate is a word I reserve for things like buildings being bombed and innocent people getting killed. The NJO is just irritating. I don't quite understand character hatred either. Some fictional characters I merely find annoying, but never to the point of hate.

The overwhelming feeling the NJO gives me is disappointment. Too much wasted potential.
    Poor characterizations of favorite characters
    I dislike the choices that were made that resulted in splits in the fan base. I am not interested in reading the same story over and over for years. Vong, Vong and more Vong. I find it too violent and sometimes juvenile.

14. doctordrinkalot

doctordrinkalot Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 3, 2000
    The NJO is just depressing. The vong are depressing, losing the galaxy is depressing, the jedi are depressing. Every book has such hopelessness and despair.

15. barnsthefatjedi

barnsthefatjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 17, 2001
    The NJO is good, by and large. Kyp is great, the violence is great and long overdue, as is the death.

The Vong are a bit cheesey as an alien, but their bio-tech is intriguing in parts.

16. I-poodoo

I-poodoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2001
    I like the NJO, but as with most things there is room for improvement.

1. forgotten characters (Lando, Ganner, Danni, and Droma)
    2. Dropped stroy lines. probably connected with forgotten characters.
    3. The stymying of the Jedi schism...either have Kyp turn Dark, Kyp take the proactive Jedi and have no longer any allegiance to Luke, reinstate the Jedi council, Have Luke reassert his authority, or have Luke smooth things over with Kyp in a compromise.
    By the time of Balance point it was past time to take this schism problem to the next level by choosing any of the options stated above. Instead we have the problem shown to us in Onslaught brought home in Ruin, brought home in AoC duology, brought home to us in BP, brought home to us in Conquest, and most recently Brought home to us in Rebirth.
    LFL...Del Rey we get it. The Jedi are devided on the edge of being ripped apart...you've made that abundantly clear. Now either rip them apart, or seal them back together. Don't just keep telling us the Jedi are on the edge of the precipice when they never fall off or never climb to safety. They've been on that cliff hanging there for way too long.
    4. Never letting us see the schism problem from Kyp's eyes or that of one of his followers. A good chance to give some perspective on whether overaction is of the darkside...to show whehter those thar are quick to action such as Kyp, or his followers's motivations in feelings.
    5. Jacen's prevarication...it's even tiring me out, though I'm still quick to defend him and his spiritual journey, But it is time for him to find the focus he's looking for.

Summed all that up in a cry directed to LFL and Del Rey "IT'S TIME! dO IT NOW!"

17. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Anakin and Kyp. They annoy the heck out of me. They're going about everything all wrong!

18. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
  19. The_Answer

The_Answer Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2001
    I mostly hate all of the spelling mistakes in SbS. I mean did Del Rey ever hear of an editor. Other than that I have been in love with the njo since the very beginning.

20. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    What do you hate most about the NJO:

a) the Vong. Too much like the Borg of Star Trek and too much sci-fi for a fantasy series like Star Wars

b) the Jedi being too emotional

c) Anakin dying. He was going to be a great inclusion in the Jedi

d) Jacen with his mulling over what is and is not a Jedi

e) Jaina - plain boring

f) Kyp Durron - He is just a Sith Lord he is not a Jedi at all

21. King of all Jedi

King of all Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 8, 2000
    The only thing that I don't like is the seemingly repetitive structure of the books.

It seems that nearly every book begins with a space battle, then the Jedi have a meeting where Luke and Kyp butt heads, we read about one or more of the Solo kids' discomfort at feelings inside Luke, etc, etc.

Dark Journey was a refreshing change.

KoaJ

22. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    a) The unoriginality: Granted SW was never that original but after a Civil War spanning 20 years, the only follow-up is by having a load of bastard aliens invade, thus creating another BIG war? I would have preferred SW explore other kinds of war, the kinds of war that occur on both small and large scale: Guerilla and economic warfare for example.

b) The dishonesty: LFL/DR wish to do a series that focuses on the next generation? Fine but say that's what you're doing instead of selling it as the continued of adventures of Luke and the gang plus kids, then focus on the kids.

c) The depressingly believable politics, being taken to the point of self-destruction. Zahn and MAS and AA all used political storylines but there the point was politics can be used for the good or overcome. In NJO the message is politics is bad and cannot be stopped from wrecking things. I want to see the positive elements of politics that used to figure in SW, along with the negative aspects.

d) The Solo kids. I find these characters plain unlikeable and I've read several stories with teenage heroes, the difference being the teenagers were likable and much better characters.

e) The failure to follow up plotlines, a minor gripe, but if a story is sold as a pre-planned arc I don't expect gaps in the story. The VP-DT gap was valid, the BP-EOV was not as there was a story to be told there, same for DT-AOC gap.

f) The violence that has raised SW from family friendly storytelling to 12 minimum. Totally indefensible.

There is much I can like about NJO but at present those aspects are oveshadowed by the negatives.

Jedi Ben

23. JacobDaly

JacobDaly Jedi Youngling

Jun 2, 2001
    It feel like each book is a separate story, not part of one large story arc.

The best example is Annakin: In one book Annakin barely survives being hunted; in another he figures out how to see Vong in the force; in another he dies; in the next he's barely remembered.

Why waste all of the development of the character and his skills just to kill him and forget all he went through?

Another - What happened to that chick Jacen rescued in Vector Prime? I thought she was going to be a central character and we've not heard a peep about her...

Etc.

The books aren't in any way cohesive. We need to get Zahn writing all of them...

24. Possessed-Freak

Possessed-Freak Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2002
    [rant]

a) The 'realism' so many people like about the NJO. Sorry, but SW is not supposed to be real. I read Star Wars to ESCAPE reality. If I want to read about death and destruction, I will read the paper. When I get through with the paper, I want something light and entertaining... Star Wars used to be it.

b) The repetiveness. People critisize the reused plotline of SW before the NJO. Sure, they changed the plotlines, but now it is repetitive yet again...

c) The fall of the government that WAS SUPPOSED to replace the Empire and work so much better. The Empire outlasted the N.R. as the core government!

d) Stupid short-term replacement characters... Chewie died, so we need another co-pilot, FOR ALL OF 2 BOOKS!

e) The death of major characters. People argue that the deaths make the books more believable, I disagree. Countless series devote themselves to a core group of characters who never die, or die of old age, that is what SW used to do. Now, just to get shock value, they kill people off under the idea of 'furthering' the plot? Really, Chewie's death did what? Made Han pathetic for 10 novels, and then he woke up to 'reality'. And what about the other major death? Well, it furthered the plot by... changing another one over to the Dark Side only to revert back before the end of the novel. Oh and the 'sacrifice' helped a mission succeed, sort of...

[/rant]

25. NikeSkylark

NikeSkylark Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 20, 2002
    what i hate most about the NJO is other people complaining about it

~NiKe SKyLaRK~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.