main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit What do you hope Rey's story post Ep. IX end up being?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by jamminjedi23, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    Star Wars is for all of us, not just a select few. The way I see it, if folks want to abandon the Franchise for whatever reason, others will join the franchise. It is the nature of the beast.

I believe Luke will survive this Trilogy, now the next trilogy could be a different story.

2. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015

I personally think they would have a very hard time trying to get Mark Hamill to come back and do more films after this is over. He will be almost 70 by the time Ep. IX comes out.

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Thanks for clarifying, it did seem like a very odd choice of phrase for you. Unfortunately, variations on the theme of 'if you don't like development X, get lost' aren't something I see as a good idea, even if in jest.

Which is why debates over how success / failure of story X can be determined by fans gained / lost are pointless, there's no way to know.

Easy solution - Animation!

4. Ewan Tibbetts

Ewan Tibbetts Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2016
    Not necessarily. Luke could change many of the Jedi's traditions to prevent them from being destroyed by evil again. Perhaps he uses dark side abilities like in the EU. Much like how the Sith had to change to survive, the Jedi could have to change to deal with Snoke and his new breed of dark side user. The Jedi would survive but Luke would be the last semi-traditional Jedi. :luke:

5. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Ewwww.

Where's the dislike button? :p

EDIT: Seriously, though, after that poem of the Whills with "resolving of gray through refined Jedi sight", and Rebels' Bendu gumpf, I am pretty worried that Luke or Rey is going to have an arc where s/he posits a new "balanced and holistic" view of the Force.

Which would be fine . . . except the Jedi already have a balanced and holistic view of the Force and reframing them them as some kind of "light side extremists" is annoying.

Kylun, Ghost, Snax Rebo and 4 others like this.
  6. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Jedi Ben, I definitely didn’t mean to imply COW should leave. Rather, I meant that SW is probably something too precious to her for her to actually give up like that, as much as she may want to. I could've phrased it better, no doubt; all I meant was that she's said she would leave before, but I think it's her love of Luke in the OT in particular that keeps her around, and even if she doesn't like the way the ST turns out, she still has that to hold onto.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  7. Ewan Tibbetts

Nov 13, 2016

The Jedi might not be "light side extremists" but they do almost exclusively use light side abilities in canon. I always unlocked lightning as soon as I could in Jedi Academy ;)

8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I'd say that's a far better version RF, sounds more like you too.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Which shows you really missed the point of being a Jedi.

10. Ewan Tibbetts

Nov 13, 2016
    That is why... I fail. :yoda:

11. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Somewhat off-topic and completely unlikely to happen in canon, but it just occurred to me that if Luke took the place of the Father, Rey the place of the Daughter, and Kylo the place of the Son on Mortis, paralleling the Ones in the Clone Wars Mortis arc, they would be fulfilling the role that was asked of Anakin all those years ago. (I actually don't think it's a good idea at all, since who the Ones were and why exactly they or the Chosen One needed to be on Mortis was never made clear--but at least it would come full circle).

Snax Rebo likes this.
  12. Ewan Tibbetts

Nov 13, 2016
    As far as I understand the Ones need to be in balance to prevent the light or dark side gaining too much power in the galaxy. When they all died the problem was solved. There's probably a "Rey is a One" theory out there.

13. Ewan Tibbetts

Nov 13, 2016
    Does anyone have thoughts on the relevance of this Yoda quote to episode 9's ending?

14. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Considering all tie-in media is canon, this includes the canon novel Dark Disciple. And I didn't understand how this quote from Yoda correlates with Quinlan's redemption at the end of the novel (which Yoda was present for).

15. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    I don't know, but if IX ends with another redemption, I suggest editing that quote in future special editions to:
    :p

Jedi Ben likes this.
  16. Ewan Tibbetts

Nov 13, 2016
    sidv88 La Calavera I think it means you will never be able to escape the consequences of your actions. For example, despite redeeming himself, Quinlan's life never returned to normal.

17. MillenniumFalcon2015

MillenniumFalcon2015 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 18, 2013
    I want to see the Vong going up aginast Luke and Rey and their Jedi Order too or a new faction of Mandalorians and their fleet of warships including Pursuer-class starships from the Nagai-Tof War in the old Marvel comic series from the old Canon or their Besu'liik Starfighters from Legacy of the Force and Crucible from the old canon in Episodes X-XI-XII which should come in 2021-2023-2025.

18. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I'm sure we will get another form of the Empire instead as the baddies of a post ST trilogy. With the darksider being Rey's daughter.

19. Snax Rebo

Snax Rebo Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2017
    She would be the first female darksider on screen too, if that happened. How do we not have a lady dark-side villain in the movies yet?

MillenniumFalcon2015 likes this.
  20. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Asajj Ventress was around in the Clone Wars movie, and I always thought Disney would use her for spinoffs (like an antagonist in a Han Solo movie, for example). And then (spoilers for canon novel Dark Disciple)
    Disney killed of Asajj immediately in one of its earliest canon novels, Dark Disciple. I just don't understand why print media was closing off opportunities for Ventress to appear on film. What if a director wanted to use her?

Snax Rebo likes this.
  21. Snax Rebo

Feb 1, 2017
    sidv88, I believe that's what happened in the original script for the DD arc, so why change it?

22. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Palpatine's apprentice after Maul, Darth Tyrannus, was originally planned to be an old lady witch/hag of alien species... until they found out Christopher Lee was interested in joining.

Snax Rebo likes this.
  23. Snax Rebo

Feb 1, 2017
    Oh what? I never knew that! I'd imagine her character somewhat inspired Ventress. Anyway, I'd take Dooku/Lee over Witch-Lord, so I think Lucas made the right decision.

24. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    They didn't need to novelize the Dark Disciple arc at all (Ventress already had closure riding off into the sunset as a bounty hunter on the show). They could have novelized Siege of Mandalore (which hasn't been novelized yet and may never be), which would allow for old Clone Wars stories to continue without closing off storytelling opportunities in future film/tv. Also, unlike Ventress, Maul's arc from the show did need some resolution (which Son of Dathomir didn't provide)

25. Snax Rebo

Feb 1, 2017
    I'll take any arc we can get, and it's been stated that all the unreleased arcs are canon. People were excited for the DD arc, so not releasing it makes less sense. I'm with you on the Siege of Mandalore. If it were up to me, it would be released as a DTD movie, fully animated and all.

One can dream, right?