main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT What do you LIKE about the prequels

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by WhiskeyGold, Nov 17, 2013.

1. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    What do I like about the Clone War era? The same thing I like about the Rebellion era. Its Star Wars. But to give full details on just that half of the saga i would have to say the characters that era gave us. We actually get to know the bad guys in the PT Clone War era. The only villain I didnt really like was Grevious. Maul, Jango, Dooku, Zam, Ventress and Watto were great additions to the Star Wars universe. Plus TPM is the reason I own the Complete saga on Dvd. Qui gon, Obi Wan, Padme, Jar Jar, Shmi, Panaka, Anakin, R2. They made the movie feel like a fairy tale, like a sci fi fairy tale. I dont really like AOTC more than TPM and ROTS, but Clone Wars is a great show. The CGI anianimation I didnt really like, but the stories being told is what hooked me. They added to the list of interesting characters. When I play Battlefront 2 I ofter play as the Republic and Separatist. Im just very familiar with both factions.

DurararaFTW likes this.
  2. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Love your attitude man. I dont know why the Empire and Rebellion are still fighting after 30 years, but apparently they still are fighting.....that just seems like cowardly pandering.

Saga Explorer and -Jedi Joe- like this.
  3. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

I don't know about "cowardly pandering" on that particular story level -- you might reasonably expect remnants of the Empire to still be around, struggling for superiority in a power vacuum.

The pandering comes in, for me, in the heavy reliance on "classic" Star Wars imagery, and the fact that the teaser trailer is damn-near soulless in the fact it uses all these tropes without really telling you anything.

I mean, it's fun, but it also has a vague, anonymous quality, like an ad slogan for a carbonated beverage. The existing films are very bold and tell a beautifully rich story of rise, fall, and redemption.

Maybe it's just that everything is still "under wraps" (well, kinda), but so far, the only thing I really see is nostalgic exploitation. Is there a beating heart, or just a cold exoskeleton?

4. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    Oh yeah Cryogenic, after hearing the past couple of months of speculation I am starting to become more pessimistic than optimistic about this new series. I really don't want a OT 2.0 I want a ST 1.0. Though my optimism still remains heavy for the most part.

5. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    More or less everything.

6. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Wizards on lizards and whiskers on chickens. When the Acklay bites, when the kouhoun stings.

When Kenobi's feeling sad.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  7. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Whiskers on chickens?

8. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Dex! Lizard/chicken (basalisk)

9. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Lol oh. Fair enough.

10. Messi

Messi Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2015

TPM - Soundtrack, Maul, Battle Droids, Pod Racing, Watto, Sebulba, Neimoudians, Nubian J327, Naboo starfighter, MTT, Sith Infiltrator, Palpatine/Sidious, Amidala costumes, Qui-Gon, Coruscant, Republic Cruiser, Trade Federation Landing ship, Captain Tarpalls...

AOTC - Obi-Wan, Jango Fett, Asteroid field battle, Kamino, Kaminoans, J-Type Barge, Cantina Scenes, Dooku's Solar Sailer, Last scene Dooku/Palpatine.

ROTS - Obi-Wan, Felucia, Boga, Alderaan, Dex, Utapau, Anakin burning, Sidious rescuing Anakin.

11. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    I hope you like them Andy. I hope they are as good as the older 6, but if you happen to dislike them a lot, i hope you end up loving the GL6 more vs hating the disney films more. If that make sense. Id just hate to see you bad mouth the new Disney stuff, especially if the kids who do like it, like it a lot.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  12. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    If it happens that I am not a big fan of the new ones, I wouldn't tear them down or anything. I would just say they were alright. But I would never hate them or anything like that. And I am a big fan of Lucas and his work. So I would never have any animosity towards him or his material.

13. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    There;s not a lot I didn't like about them, I just wish the timeline was adjusted a bit.

Episode 2 editing wise always seemed a bit choppy to me at some points, and it bothers me on every viewing

14. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    I like that while there are elements in the movies that make them Star Wars, they are also their own movies and trilogy that sets them apart from the OT. Lucas could have easily shoved Padme, Anakin, Obi Wan, the two droids, and Jar Jar into one ship as we followed their adventures across the movies, similarly to what the OT was, but, he didn't. Even though a lot of fans would have been ecstatic as they would proclaim the PT felt like the OT. Instead we got movies that had elements that weren't in the OT, mystery, politcal intrigue, as well as expanding on the themes of the OT in the form of corruption and origins of different characters.

smoothkaz and FRAGWAGON like this.
  15. hairymuggle

hairymuggle Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 28, 2014
    Besides making Obi Wan my favourite character, I was pleased with how the prequels expanded on the Jedi and gave them a (fairly accurate, Asian-influenced) culture I can easily identify with. Also, more exciting lightsaber battles.

16. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    So let's see:

Ewan's Obi-Wan. I never quite understood Obi-Wan before Ewan's portrayal. I've been a fan of the character since Episode I.

Sir Christopher Lee, Dooku worked for me on every level.

Qui-Gon Jinn, I like that he is the one who sets things in motion.

Darth Maul: fun.

Dex: Fun.

Obi-Wan as investigator.

Padme in TPM. I could clearly see this was Luke and Leia's mom.

The Boga (supplanted the Tauntaun as my favorite SW beastie.)

Seeing the workings of the Jedi Temple (and laughing my head off at the Jedi Archivist - I worked with a librarian who made her look like the nicest woman in the galaxy.)

The younglings getting a chance to flex their minds a bit when Obi-Wan comes to Yoda looking for Camino.

Oppo Rancisis (dude! Great looking old Jedi Master.)

Camino, Genosis - loved those sequences.

Order 66: so sad.

Obi-Wan handing Luke over to Owen, just perfect.

The costumes were just lovely.

Chancellor Yoda likes this.
  17. Pain and Suffering

Pain and Suffering Jedi Master star 3

Mar 8, 2015
    I really like a lot about the prequels (they're not as good as the originals and never will be, and I do have some issues with parts about the prequels, but I'm starting to enjoy them more and more.) but especially the visuals (the costumes are really cool and so are the settings-there are a lot of awesome planets) are some of my favorite things about them.
    Also love the music. Go John Williams!

18. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    Let's just say it would be a lot easier to tell you what I disliked about the prequels.

Saga Explorer likes this.
  19. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    What do you LIKE about the prequels
    The lightsaber duels, the attractiveness of Anakin, Ewan as Obi Wan, the space fighters, the score.

....That's about it...

20. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Everything...

21. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Surprisingly quite a bit.

TPM - Pod Race, Qui-Gon, Duel of Fates, Darth Maul and some of the Naboo scenery.

ATOC - Speeder Chase, Jango Fett, Kamino, Count Dooku, Jedi Battle, Geonosis and its battle and detective Kenobi.

ROTS - Coruscant space battle, Darth Sidious, Battle of Hero's, Order 66 scenes, General Grievous, ending scene.

Theirs probably more but these are just a top of my head.

22. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    pretty much everything. mostly how different each film is and how much the pt differs from the ot. the pt does things very differently and a lot of people don't like that but that's part of why i love it.

FRAGWAGON and Saga Explorer like this.
  23. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    Some of the visuals in TPM.

24. deadly jp

deadly jp Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 27, 2014
    What i liked most about the prequel trilogy is
    -The end of rots how it neatly ties up the events of a new hope
    -Jedi order before being destoryed
    -The lightsaber fights (obi wan and quigon vs darth maul and obiwan vs darth vader)
    -Great actors like ewan mcgregor, christopher Lee and ian macdramid, samuel l jackson
    -Cool badass characters such as darth maul, mace windu and much more :)

25. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    Liam Neeson's Qui-Gon, Ewan's Obi-Wan, and Ian's Palpatine
    The score
    TPM lightsaber battle
    "This party's over."
    Jango Fett
    Yoda fighting (even though I wish it looked slightly less goofy)
    Natalie Portman being ridiculously good looking