main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT What do you LIKE about the prequels

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by WhiskeyGold, Nov 17, 2013.

1. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    Well, I think the sentiment might be that it's more easy to relate to the PT's political story than the OT's political story. What I mean is, most of us who post on these forums don't live under a dictatorship. But many of us do live in democracies and experience the day to day frustrations as a result. Thus, I think it can be easier to get involved with the PT's political story (for some) because we can see why it might turn out the way it did, particularly for those who live in the US. We live in a state of perpetual war where nothing seems to get done due to inefficient bickering. You'll find a lot of people who might feel as Anakin does in saying that those who don't agree should be "made to" by "someone wise" for the common good. It's politically naive, of course, but I think it resonates well for a lot of people because we've all felt that way at one time or another.

You don't necessarily need the OT to see that story through to the end as the PT is, in part, about the dangers of choosing the quick and easy route instead of actually learning to deal with the inefficiencies of democracy. The OT has a political story, but it's much less prominent. It's largely nonexistent in ESB and most of ROTJ. ANH is really the only one that delves into it on more than a surface level.

And, of course, you have to specify what you mean by "done" -- if someone just wants to watch the fall of the Republic, then the story is basically done with by the end of the PT.

2. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

Oh dear. I made a mistake with this comment. I meant to say that AOTC is not ONLY my favorite movie in the PT , it is tied with TESB as my favorite SW film.

3. DARTH FATHEAD

DARTH FATHEAD Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 22, 2013
    Sidious was great in all 3 movies you couldn't take your eyes off him when he was on screen, Lee as well.
    The end battle in Ep 2 was unreal so was the Yoda Dooku fight

4. Mzukiller

Mzukiller Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    What he said. I actually really enjoyed the prequels.

5. Big_Benn_Klingon

Big_Benn_Klingon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2013
    My favorite part of the prequels is that they busted open, by a thousand fold, the scope and depth of the SW universe. The prequels widened the SW universe in a way I could have never dreamed of when I was a kid in the 70s and 80s. So much more to sink my imagination into. For me, love of SW is just as much (if not more) about losing myself in a rich fictional universe than any specific characters or character stories.

The things I love are too vast to list but some highlights:

-The freaking clone wars! (and by extension the Grand Army of the Republic)
    -Palpatine
    -The space battles, for the love of all things sacred, the space battles. There isn't anything in the OT that holds a visual candle to the Jango/Obi chase or the battle of Coruscant - anybody who says otherwise isn't being honest with themselves

6. lucaslinda

lucaslinda Jedi Master

Jul 21, 2003

Darkslayer and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  7. DLINE

DLINE Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2013
    I love the new characters and the clones ad just the story! ;D

8. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Wow! Thank you, Linda. :)

Nice to have some words of encouragement after being back on IMDb's TPM board and dealing once again with the pit of snakes that is the IMDb community. I keep saying I'll leave there for good, and this time, I just might. Thanks again!

Darkslayer and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  9. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Carbon1985 ya the political story of the fall of the republic is what I meant. :) Should have been clearer

10. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Nice.

11. LordThanatos

LordThanatos Jedi Padawan star 1

May 18, 2013
    I like everything. :)

12. Skelter

Skelter Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    The fact that Han Solo, and Chewi are not there to annoy me with their useless lines, and futile efforts at trying entertain me.

-NaTaLie-, Jarren_Lee-Saber and Samnz like this.
  13. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Absolutely everything!

Andy Wylde and Komodo9Joe like this.
  14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Honestly, I say otherwise.

Frank T. likes this.
  15. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013
    I liked the fact that it was more Star Wars and the PT (even for those who hate it) brought Star Wars back to the forefront of pop-culture.

16. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    Another shot/generalization at OT fans gets a pass here at TFN without any warning.:rolleyes:

17. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    My favorite part about the prequels is the prequels.

18. Big_Benn_Klingon

Big_Benn_Klingon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2013
    "Another shot/generalization at OT fans gets a pass here at TFN without any warning.:rolleyes:"
    Carbon1985, Today at 3:18 PM Report

huh? Im saying that I think those space battle scenes are better than any OT space battle scenes - 100% opinion (bordering on empirical fact IMO, lol). Is it the honest part? It wasn't meant to be particularly serious and was actually aimed at CGI haters, altho I suppose I wasn't clear enough.

Sorry I'm new to the forum, are OT fans some sort of oppressed group that need moderator intervention (serious question)?

19. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

You win this thread :p

20. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    No, actually it's usually the other way around. PT fans are given the knockaround even here, but some OT fans don't react positively to the OT and PT being compared.

21. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    Seconded.

22. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Nope not at all. And they are the huge majority of the "oppressors". (I can pull up at least 10 instances right now that are far, FAR worse than what you said if there is any doubt) Just certain people, because they have been admonished form time to time, take it upon themselves to try to make it look like the mods are being unfair, which couldn't be further from the case.

23. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    The TFN mods, in my opinion, come down quite heavily on BOTH sides.

Now and again, a person may think a miscarriage of justice has occurred, but this usually takes the form of -- as above -- crying foul when one relatively innocuous comment is seized upon as proof of OT-armageddon.

I'd like to think that fans are generally mature enough to give other fans a degree of breathing room in voicing their opinions, pro and con, without pouncing and politicizing their comments at the first opportunity.

That said, the original comment was a tad reckless, perhaps, and could have been phrased a bit better: a slightly-unfortunate conclusion to an otherwise (in my opinion) solid post.

Iron_lord and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  24. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    What do I like? That they exist. The music was epic. The locations were often times immense, and visually quite stunning. The music was epic. The lightsaber combat was mostly capable of balancing swiftness and grace with overwhelming emotion. Sometimes it was more of the former, other times the latter. Some blended both together quite spectacularly (Obi-Wan vs Anakin). Did I mention that the music was absolutely epic? Pretty much every bit of Episode III is what I was hoping for from the prequels. The opening. The closing. The looks of fondness and brotherly love between Obi-Wan and Anakin until Obi-Wan has to depart for Utupau. Anakin's turn and subsequent storming of the Jedi Temple. Order 66 occurring immediately after that. The Senate Chamer scene when Palpatine declares himself Emperor. The dual duels being equal but opposite in what they're showing. I see the fight between Yoda and Palpatine as a theological fight between bitter factions of the Force. I see the fight between Obi-Wan and Anakin as a fight over their own souls (and ultimately, the galaxy's as well), so to speak.

There's plenty I like, and even love, from TPM and AotC, but RotS is right up there at the top of my favorites in the entire Saga. Eclipsed only by TESB. And those two often times switch places.

25. CaptainRegor

CaptainRegor Jedi Master star 3

Nov 15, 2012
    To keep it short:
    The senate - YES I like the politics of Star Wars
    The characthers.