main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT What do you LIKE about the prequels

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by WhiskeyGold, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Rauno

Rauno Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 13, 2013
    Every scene with Maul, John Williams, Qui-Gon and that's only ep. 1.. I enjoyed the PT more than the OT.

Sent from my GT-S5660 using Tapatalk 2

2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    My favorite thing in the prequels is the AOTC Coruscant airspeeder chase. I was very disapointed when Disney cancelled the theatre 3d conversion just because of missing out on that scene.

3. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

I agree with this opinion as well . . . aside from the flaws. I can say the same about the OT.

4. TheWatcher

TheWatcher Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 26, 2013
    To me the greatest aspect of the prequels is the machinations of Palpatine. Its the most complete story with zero plotholes in it. However Lucas spent so much time wondering and plotting Palpy's schemes that the rest of the stories cringe in many respects.

In terms of characters Obi-Wan Kenobi is the great protagonist and savior of these movies. He is charming, heroic, witty and above all else admirable. Something not seen in Vader, meaning his fall is not as rough and tough and one would have originally thought. The villains are the standout of the prequels however as far as characters are concerned except for Mr. Vader who is just Palpy's teenage frankenstein (insert Alice Cooper joke here), all villains are in a way frightening. Maul's that guy you see who could (pun intended) Maul you over. Tyrannus is that kid in the class, the brain, the great athlete, Mr. Perfect, and he turned evil...he was in a way poised to be Yoda's succesor. (forget EU) If you watch the movies it implies such succesion. Grevious is our Rommel, our Himlers. Gunray and the confederacy are those coorporare devils that will sway the universe in war for coorporate gaon. And of course Palpatine a Machiavellian devil.

Visually the prequels sometimes got cartoony but generally speaking they look good. However the overuse of CGI is the films biggest flaw. Along with weak dialouge.

Presenting the order of Jedi as an amalgam of the Catholic Church and monk orders was pretty cool and unique, usually fantasy focuses on either eastern or western adaptations of religion.

The duels were epic in schale and excecution. But I have problems with showing old men fight like 20 year olds, you are invalidating the OT duel between Ben and Vader.

All in all I disagree that the prequels are awful. They are entertaining films that dissapointed alot of people for not playing on the same level as the OT. And people have every right to be dissapointed.

Barbecue17 and Yeahvin4 like this.
  5. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Cryogenic and FRAGWAGON like this.
  6. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Personally I find TESB and RotJ no less guilty of "invalidating" the duel between Obi-Wan and Vader in ANH. That fight is incredibly clunky and slow even by the standard set by the aforementioned two movies.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  7. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    I blame Nic G.

He's the one who told them to act like they were swinging sledgehammers in the OT.
    :p

8. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Palpatine's plotting forms the more "intellectual" aspect of the story, while other narrative strands are largely subservient to it. I don't remotely find the other strands cringe-worthy, however. The way Palpatine takes control is the most impressive part of the entire storyline, though, in my opinion; and is worth the PT, all by itself, for me.

Nice description of Kenobi. I like the way you vividly recount the villains, too. There is something quite rich and wondrous, I think, about the PT's panoply of bad guys. The OT tends to be dominated by Vader and grey-suited Imperial generals/bureaucrats, while the PT really broadens the palette of on-screen ne'er-do-wells. Yet they're ultimately swept away and the PT culminates with two lonely Sith staring out at a newly-forming death monstrosity. The multi-hued mosaic becomes somewhat deadened and monochromatic by design. To me, that's a lovely design feature.

I don't agree with these complaints. I can sort of agree on the "cartoony" charge, I suppose, though the frames look like one giant, rolling painting, to me. There could, I guess, simply be more dialogue in the PT, especially in II and III. TPM, I've noticed, has a slightly more "old world" feel to the dialogue, in the sense that it's both arch and throwaway. In the subsequent prequel installments, some of that throwaway quality seems lost, and maybe they suffer a bit for it. Y'know, give me more technobabble, or a bit more pre-battle chatter, or idle threats made in a native tongue. It's not a deal-breaker, though. Not in my eyes, at least. I think Lucas was going for more of a "montage" modality in II and III (e.g., look at Anakin and Padme's goodbye moment at the homestead in II; or Order 66 and the overture with Anakin marching up the steps of the Jedi Temple in III). These are stylistically-bold movies, in my view, and I wish people could look at them from a different angle.

Neat spot. This strange melding of east and west is all over Star Wars, of course. And Lucas' first film, the moody sci-fi masterpiece "THX-1138" (in my opinion), shows an early, abstract fascination with the intersecting entities of religion and government.

I don't think the more athletic duels in the PT invalidate the OT duel between Ben and Vader. For my money, they simply give it a fresh lens through which to view and regard it. Amongst other things, it can be said that Ben and Vader are both a little out-of-touch after years removed from the fray, and their duel is a bit creaky by design, like some half-remembered dance re-enacted "for ol' times' sake".

People have a right to feel satisfied, too. The prequels can also be said to excel in all the areas you believe they flounder; and no two people are ever going to have exactly the same opinion. On the other hand, as much as opinions can and will differ, I find it hard to take seriously the assertion that any of the SW movies are remotely close to "awful".

9. TheWatcher

Dec 26, 2013
    True I get what you mean. And yes the duels are contradicting in the OT as well, so I do retract what I said earlier.

Thank you :)

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  10. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    The opening action set piece of the Skywalker and Kenobi rescuing Palatine :), ONLY second to the opening scene to ANH :). EPIC for sure.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  11. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    The costumes on Padme.
    The Seperatists, especially Count Dooku.

Andy Wylde and Barbecue17 like this.
  12. Beautiful_Disaster

Beautiful_Disaster Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2005
    I love everything about the prequels. They aren't perfect, but they are an integral part of the SW saga, IMHO

13. Ezekial

Ezekial Jedi Master star 3

May 24, 2002
    The only good thing about the prequels was the work of the art department.

14. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    *Bows* Hello Youngling The Watcher. :) I found your post very well done and thoughtful. I personally prefer the OT. Yet, things I like about the PT are: The music, Count Dooku, the Jedi and Sith attire, the introduction of the lightstaff, Obi-Wan's Jedi fighter. I think that Christopher, Ian, and Ewan carried the PT by making a rather flimsy script and dialogue as credible as they could.

15. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    The more intense battles, the somewhat more in-depth plot are all pluses.

Andy Wylde and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  16. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    What do you consider more in-depth? Personally, I don't see it.

17. TheWatcher

Dec 26, 2013

I have so minor problems with OT...its the PT that bugs me but when it gets ot right it gets it very right.

18. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    What would that be to you? What is 'very right' in the PT?

19. TheWatcher

Dec 26, 2013
    To me he gets very right Palpatine's accumulation of power and manipulations. Lucas wrote this part of the PT spot on. He references Hitler, Cesar, the Borgias with it. By far the cleverest arc in the prequels.

Obi-Wan he gets right. Both in personality and story, he delivers much in part to Ewan's performance. but I think GL understood Obi better than any of the PT good guys.

The duels in general, are very good and entertaining.

All the visuals are amazing in general, save a few cartoony moments.

The villains; Maul, Dooku and Grevious. They are so badass! And really menacing in their own way. I wish GL wrote more marerial for them but it is goodbwith what he gave us.

Barbecue17 and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  20. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    I'm sure I am echoing others here, but in the OT, it's just straight up good versus evil. Whereas the PT, the 'good guys' are corrupt and being lead by the main bad guy. Granted, the Clone Wars seem somewhat pointless as Sidious doesn't care whether the CIS or Republic win.

21. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I know many feel that way but I don't agree. Tarkin in ANH wasn't straight evil. Peter Cushing can't do that. He goes against his true manner often in film but he likewise is true to himself in many ways as well.

22. son_of_skywalker03

Dec 7, 2003
    I'm sorry, but this doesn't make a lick of sense. Tarkin absolutely IS evil in ANH. He isn't even conflicted with the choices he's making. He's a straight up bad guy in every sense.

23. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Then either you're not looking or you don't know a thing about Peter. Possibly both. No, he isn't. He and Dooku both show morals. Tarkin saved a life, he detests lying, he is cautionary to Leia, he desires harmony and order. He's not even armed.

24. son_of_skywalker03

Dec 7, 2003
    And then he turns around and has an entire ****ing planet blown up because he can. Pretty damn evil, if you ask me.

Oh, and he wasn't too quick to "save" that life. He let the guy choke to death for several seconds before stepping in. And what does him "not being armed" have to do with anything? He is literally standing inside his weapon of choice.

25. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Dude are you trolling? He's not personally armed BECAUSE he is in command of the largest weapon in the galaxy.