main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What do you mean by "investment" ?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by Artie-Deco, Jan 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Artie-Deco

Artie-Deco Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2001
    I hear a lot of people complaining because of the loss in their "investment" in this game.

Help me out here. What on earth do you mean by "investment"?

Money? Surely you didn't start buying boosters for monetary gain! That would be foolish. That can't be what you mean.

The best I can come up with is this:

People spend time and money buying booster packs, learning the game and building decks, in order to play and enjoy the game. The time and money are your "investment" and your enjoyment is the "return" on your investment.

But if that's the case, why do you complain that your investment is wasted? I've enjoyed this game immensely so far, and will continue to enjoy it whether Decipher continues to print new cards or not. I've got enough cards to make 100 different decks if I want to.

If you've been playing this game since its inception, you've been enjoying this game for 5-6 years now. Just how long do you have to play to feel you've gotten a decent return on your investment of time and money?

If, now that Decipher's license is gone, you're regretting spending all that time and money on the game, well shame on you ... you shouldn't have bought into it in the first place.

(Shrug) I just don't understand the complaint that your investment is wasted. If I'm missing something, help me understand.

Thanks.

2. Red84

Red84 SWCCG Content Mgr. (Card Games) star 4 VIP

Oct 20, 2000
    I guess that you can say that the SWCCG has short-term investors and long-term. What you described fits someone with short-term investment goals.

To the long-term investor (which I believe to be a good majority of the SWCCG community), "enjoyment" means much more. For most players "enjoyment" also includes working on their skills and winning tournaments. And since only one person can win a tournament, there are many players out there who will lose that chance; some were just a card or two away and that card or two may have been in Episode II, or III, or whatever.

Also, there are the collectors. A collector is always in something for the long haul, and they like their collections to be complete. In this case, "complete" = cards for all six movies.

And though they aren't realy "long-term investors", you can't forget the new players who finally decided to jump in and try the game. I can imagine that now they feel abandoned because they learned all these rules and bought all these cards and for what.. most singles won't sell, only sets will so they can't get their money back. And perhaps the local player base will dry up on these players too. Not everyone lives near a major city.

Yes, the game is going to be around for some time yet, but it has lost its "official" capacity. Winning a tourny now just won't mean the same thing or be looked at the same way--especially with all the new themes and scenarios that will be tried. And you can bet that wotc and LL will do all within their power to keep D's game out of the limelight. I expect a very aggressive marketing campaign to sell the wotc game. Anything less will mark the wotc game for failure.

Actually, I am very excited to see what will happen when these two games go head to head. I am more pumped up about the SWCCG than ever. And though I think I already know who the winner will be, it will be interesting nonetheless. I just hope that LL is watching too.

3. Ocelot_X

Ocelot_X Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 16, 2001
    I think also the loss of investment comes from the fact that had the license not switched hands, Decipher would have continued making cards, and people would have continued buying them and enjoying the new stuff. But the game was killed prematurely rather than dying its natural death. For example, Middle-Earth CCG died a long time ago, so old players of that game don't resent Decipher's LotR game because Middle-Earth wouldn't have been around with or without it. SWCCG, on the other hand, only got canned so that SWTCG coould emerge. If not for that game, SWCCG would have continued, and many feel that the planned exapnsions and cards that never came represent a lost investment.

4. BigPoppaJabba

BigPoppaJabba Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    Holy good gravy!!!!!

I go away for a few of weeks, and the world turns upside down! I guess I should have seen it coming, but I wanted to stay positive.

On the investment side, I have NEVER bought SW:CCG cards for any monetary inmvestment. However, they were a time (or i guess you could say "fun" investment)

While the cards did cost me a lot over the years I've been collecting (since BB premier), I never expected or anticipated getting a return for my cash.

The return I did get was the enjoyment of collecting and playing. To me, that was worth it.

Do I consider my 5000+ cards a waste? NO WAY! There is no law that says THOU SHALT NOT PLAY THE DECIPHER GAME! I'll keep spending the same time on the game as I used to.

The question now is where do I go from here. I really like LotR:TCG, and I have bought the starters and a few boosters. Whether I will keep going remains to be seen.

Will I buy the new game? I don't know. Actually, I don't expect to. I've grown up with Star Wars. I've read many of the books. But the only thing I COLLECT is the game. I don't have the "I play it just because it's Star Wars" attitude that Wizards seem to be assuming many of us have. I kept collecting because I like the mechanics, the rules, the compliocations, the strategies, everything.

Back to the topic: investment. Will I keep putting money into the game. To me, it would not be "dead' money. I would like to see what happens to the prices.

What I really want to knowe is what will happen to this board. I don't want it to become a place where people spend the time saying "The Decipher game sucks" or "we're not interested in the Wizards game 'cos it's not the real one"

I want to be able to discuss the Decipher game freely. I want opinions on decks, strategies etc.

5. Red84

Red84 SWCCG Content Mgr. (Card Games) star 4 VIP

Oct 20, 2000
    As long as I am involved with this board and TFN, Decipher's game will always get the attention at least 50% of the time ;) and I'm not anticipating going anywhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.