main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania What do you miss most?

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Caramello-Jedi, Dec 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caramello-Jedi

Caramello-Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 30, 2003
    When you leave Australia what do you miss most? The weather? Certain foods? Friends, etc?

I'm an exchange student at the moment in Finland and I have been here for 11 months and I have 3 weeks left and I was wondering what people miss most when they travel outside of Australia or live in another country for any amount of time.

I would say I miss the weather being all sunny and warm and Tim Tams and decent steaks and sausages. Thankfully my parents sent me Vegemite.

2. o__O

o__O Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 21, 2007
    Our unique fauna and flora, which is nowhere else in the world.

3. woppo

woppo Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 30, 2004
    I miss the aussie beer,

4. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005

5. Caramello-Jedi

Oct 30, 2003
    So true. In finland you done have such a variety in some ways. All the trees kind of look the same and you just don't have the wide variety of colours. I have also lost count of the amount of times that I have been asked if I have ever seen a Kangaroo. In finland if you see a wild animal its either a moose or a reindeer.

And I can't say I drink beer but if anyone ever comes to Finland don't drink the Finnish beer. It is from the few sips I have had absolutely terrible.

6. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    I miss the open bush when I'm out of Australia. Where else in the world can you take a two hour trip and find yourself somewhere ... so uncivilised?

:)

7. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    Sunshine. Pure, unadulterated sunshine.

And being outdoors.

8. jediguy

jediguy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2000
    At the moment, good weather. Sunshine. That means no mist, frost and bone-chillingly cold smoking areas at bars (heard of heaters, guys?). Certainly friends and cheapish prices. Coopers Pale, Asahi and yes, even XXXX. My lovely apartment. A bed that isn't a couch. The beach and warm water. Having a tan. Summer festivals. Worst of all, Daft Punk.

What I don't miss? Tight t-shirted bogans in clubs. Brisbane's ridiculous excuse for a public transport system. That hideous fluoro trend. Cigarette prices.

9. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    I miss the accent, also:

milo
    vegemite
    lolly cake
    jaffas
    pineapple lumps

10. Caramello-Jedi

Oct 30, 2003
    What on earth is lolly cake?

11. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    Seconded

12. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    sunshine, and the cadbury chocolate.

love the wine too.

13. Caramello-Jedi

Oct 30, 2003
    I have to say the best thing about Finland is they have an extremely large range of wines from all around the world including Australia. I don't miss the wine I can get it here.

I have decided that I miss Christmas in Australia.. it just doesn't have the same feel over here.

14. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    whats funny about that is for me a sunny christmas is too weird.

next year for me it wont be the same.

Remember you are actually having a white christmas.

15. Caramello-Jedi

Oct 30, 2003
    But it isn't a white christmas! I'm in the south western part of Finland near the city of Turku... it just so happens that it is the warmest part of Finland. This is the second year in a row that they haven't had snow at christmas.

16. woppo

woppo Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 30, 2004
    Can get a white christmas down here in Tassie, often see snow in the highlands in dec

17. Caramello-Jedi

Oct 30, 2003
    Yeah I read a forecast online about the storms and stuff in Aust. recently and just before christmas saw that there was snow forecast in parts of Tassie and the Victorian Alps... it's the middle of winter in Finland and there's no snow! It was +5'c this afternoon at about 4pm when the sun was starting to go down!!! It should be colder!

18. Pigalek

Pigalek Jedi Knight star 5

May 23, 2001
    My bed and tim tams

Oh and having lizards running around my back yard :D

19. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    My home, and how quiet the street is. Dallas was so busy and noisy, even Bali was 'go, go, go!'. Like they say, Still call Australia home! :p

20. Caramello-Jedi

Oct 30, 2003
    You went to the wrong countries.... I ended up living in a house surrounded by forest last year at one point. And even in the suburbs the noisiest thing was the dog and the kids around the place. I actually am hating the noise here in Australia now... Damn hospital around the corner from me!

21. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    I miss taking the bus and the train. Traveling to the beach just because I can to read a book whilst there.

Oh, I miss a really good cappucino. Seriously, the coffee is good but the so called places that make Cappucino really suck at it.

OMG I am a cofee snob.

22. Caramello-Jedi

Oct 30, 2003
    My aunt is a coffee snob... she was visiting Finland briefly(went into Helsinki for a couple of hours before she flew on to Tallinn, Estonia) and when I met up with her in Tallinn all she and her husband could say about Finland was to complain about the fact that they asked for a cappucino and got made to serve themselves instant coffee type stuff... the stuff you see in movies in American diners! I don't think she was in a proper coffee shop or else she was in a franchise type place and a cheap one so it was her own fault!

23. Norrad_Roff

Norrad_Roff Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2001
    Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.....

24. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    most diners have the same coffee its kinda cheap but it least its hot.

get it from mcdonalds at night and you are lucky its even warm and not burnt.

Although gloria jeans really burnt the crap out of their coffee and boiled it too.

couldnt drink the stuff for at least ten minutes.

Cibo was great as was a MCcafe cappucino or flat white.

burger king sucked even though it was instant stuff.

25. Caramello-Jedi

Oct 30, 2003
    Haha! I don't do coffee myself. I have met very few Aussies who like Starbucks. I've not met anyone who has had a complaint about Gloria Jeans as a whole but there are some that are just terrible and you should never go to for coffee or anything else for that matter. And I didn't even realise McDonalds itself here still sells coffee... I thought all the coffee selling went over to the McCafe?!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.