main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What do you think about a Rogue Squadron TV show?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by MaGnUs Darklighter, Oct 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaGnUs Darklighter

MaGnUs Darklighter Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 27, 1998
    Maybe this has been discussed, I didn't see the thread in the index, but maybe it's been discussed as part of a larger thread.

I'd totally love a TV series based on the Rogue Squadron comics and novels, and maybe a spin-off featuring Wraith Squadron. It could either be a live action series, a la modern BSG (in the military/fighter action and pilot camaraderie aspects; it would be less realistic due to having aliens and Force stuff); or it could be an animated series in a JLU style.

What does everybody think? I might post my casting choices later.

2. loki41872

loki41872 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    Sounds like that might actually be pretty close to what we'll get!

http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/George_Goes_One_On_One_With_MTV_100693.asp

Thank God, if the show wouldve been about Jedi, I probably wouldn't have watched it. I've had enough Jedi with the PT and the animated Clone Wars series. Let's have some "Star WARS"!

3. mikadojedi

mikadojedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 25, 2003
    First time here for me. And I think a Rogue Squadron Live Action Show would be very good.
    Imagine Wedge Antillies, Adm. Ackbar, and other Rebellion Heros teaching the newer generation. This would be kick-butt post ROTJ stuff. Have Jiana Solo aboard. And yes, for sweeps, bring on Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher.

4. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Interesting. So I guess it will be more about the early days of The Empire and the Rebel Aliiance? [face_thinking]

5. MaGnUs Darklighter

Nov 27, 1998
    That's all fine and dandy, but I want Rogue Squadron set after ROTJ... but this will be cool as well, as long as Jedi are not all there is...

6. BAR_BAR_DRINKS

BAR_BAR_DRINKS Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2003
    'ell yeah!

bring onStackpole & Allston for scripts/supervising!

7. MaGnUs Darklighter

Nov 27, 1998
    Frakin' A!

8. Froghurt

Froghurt Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 31, 2006
    Would much rather watch the Jedi purge with a bit of this on the side!!

9. MaGnUs Darklighter

Nov 27, 1998
    Enough with the Jedi! :>

10. Jamiebacca

Jamiebacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    I'm sure the show will be good, no matter what!

11. Darth_Morder

Darth_Morder Jedi Youngling star 1

May 2, 2004
    First time in here, but... it'd be nice to have some series featuring some of rogue squadron stories, pilots even technicians, show their life n stuff, and using it as a platform to show more of the star wars universe. Perhaps, the series should not be based on the novels n comics, although certain events MUST be part of the storyline for sure, i think they should focus on the personal stories of some pilots, i don't know... like "Wedge Antilles Chronicles" or stuff like that.

However, I think that if a series like that would ever be produced, it should be "loyal" to the styles of the original trilogy, 'cuz that's where the magic of star wars is... simple scenarios, real... i don't know. The thing im sure of is that if it follows the style of BSG, the series would REALLY suck...

12. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I think the Series would rule.

13. Jamiebacca

Jun 17, 2003

How about it being loyal to something fresh and new?

14. Jedi-Queen

Jedi-Queen Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2005
    I agree D_M :)
    SW is what it is and I love the original concepts, it is magical and losing some of it's most
    important original elements (such as Jedi) would cause it to lose its magic.
    You can have fresh and new without losing the key components that made SW great.

15. loki41872

Dec 13, 2002

Jedi didn't make Star Wars great. X-wings, Tie Fighters and the Empire against the Rebellion made Star Wars great. I think Lucas has finally realized he needs to get back to what worked in the first place. It's no coincidence that the whole franchise started a slide halfway through "Return of the Jedi"

Jedi? Sure, the fanboys and girls love 'em. But the average people that made SW a success during the OT loved the spaceships and the war part of Star Wars.

The Jedi's story was finished with Episode 3. Let's be done with that now. The fanboys and girls can still have their Jedi-fix with the Clone Wars animated series. Let's have the live action series be more like the OT, with more realism and less mysticism

16. Jamiebacca

Jun 17, 2003
    Yes! This is what I was trying to communicate in another thread. There's SO MUCH MORE to the SW universe than Jedi.

17. Captain_Kazan

Captain_Kazan Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 16, 2006
    Realism?!? o_O No offense, but I'd hardly call X-wings and TIE fighters realism. ;)

18. Jamiebacca

Jun 17, 2003
    Smartass.

I think he/she meant higher on the plausibiltymeter.

19. Jedi-Queen

Feb 16, 2005
    "I think he/she meant higher on the plausibiltymeter."

Who cares about how plausible it is, this is sci-fi, anything goes.
    I agree Captain_K.
    I am sick of people tossing around the term fanboy/girl like it's a dirty word, grow up.
    I was around for the OT and your narrow minded view of how people interpreted it was definitely
    not shared by myself or any of my friends so I doubt it's a reflection of the general public.
    SW is a good vs evil story, the Jedi being good. They (O-W/Luke) were the heroes.
    So were the rest of the rebels, Leia, Han etc..., but it was the mysticism and power of the Jedi
    that was so captivating. They have to remain balanced while fighting evil, no easy task yet they
    have dedicated their lives to doing so which is admirable.
    Maybe that's the problem, admirable heroes are hard to find now so let's settle for those who
    just shoot guns or blow things up.

20. Jamiebacca

Jun 17, 2003
    ... so what's wrong with the show taking a new direction for the small screen? Focus on the grey areas - bounty hunters, mercenaries, the alliance, dangerously out-of-touch galactic government employees...

21. loki41872

Dec 13, 2002

Works for Battlestar Galactica.

And some of my best friends are fanboy/girls. And even they are burned out on Jedi.

22. Jedi-Queen

Feb 16, 2005
    "Works for Battlestar Galactica"

That is all it's ever been about, space battles etc..
    The new one sux btw, but that's a whole other debate that doesn't belong here [face_whistling]

23. Jamiebacca

Jun 17, 2003
    Um, the whole one was kind of crappy, too. It's all SW knock-off. Bah, Humbug! There's only room for one sci-fi series in my poor little head. (well Stargate is watchable - sometimes, I guess).

24. Darth_Morder

Darth_Morder Jedi Youngling star 1

May 2, 2004
    Kind of an out of date reply....

What do u mean by "fresh and new"?... episode 1, 2 & 3 are "fresh and new" and they kind of sucked. I just want something with less special effects, Lucas used so many effects on the new trilogy that theres nothing special about them now.... If by "fresh and new" u mean nu stories, characters n new ships etc, i totally support that, as i said before, the star wars universe is huge and there are thousands of good stories to explore, like the thing they're doing in the official site, that members of hyperspace can write stories for characters that appear like for two seconds walking around the sets... that should have been done a long time ago. And now, with the post-ep3 pre-ep4 series they seem to be taking that track, exploiting untold star wars stories.
    There are thousands of things to see in the swuniverse, and i want to see them...

That is true.

That is not true.

Im fed up with Jedi. The nu trilogy was all about jedi and it REALLY wasn't what i expected it to be, it was really disapointing. Honestly, i just enjoyed watching them all die in episode 3, it was about time :)

Episode 4, the first star wars movie, had very little jedi in it... obi-wan, darth vader, and Luke does not count as a jedi... the cool thing about star wars were the ships, the rebels vs empire thing, the planets, droids etc etc... everything presented as very natural, like if it was always there, no explanations about anything, it just started, tantive iv, star destroyer, lasers!.... i saw it when i was 8 years old the first time, and those where the things i loved, Jedi are not cool anymore, they're worn out... i want to see other stuff, i want to see a nerf hearder, whatever, there are "normal" people in the sw universe, i want to know about them... jedi no more.

I agree, but i do like stargate (sg1 and specially Atlantis) i think it's cool how they play with the theories about how every civilization on earth comes from atlantis bla bla... out of topic

25. MaGnUs Darklighter

Nov 27, 1998
    Me too, see below.

First of all, Star Wars is not science fiction, it's space opera. Second, even if you don't conform to acceptable scientific parameters, you still need in story cohesiveness... anything goes in stupid Mary-Sue fanfic, but a true work of fiction needs to be plausible, within the fictitious universe's parameters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.