main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What do you think about a Rogue Squadron TV show?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by MaGnUs Darklighter, Oct 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    First of all, Star Wars is not science fiction, it's space opera. Second, even if you don't conform to acceptable scientific parameters, you still need in story cohesiveness... anything goes in stupid Mary-Sue fanfic, but a true work of fiction needs to be plausible, within the fictitious universe's parameters.

That's a pretty good observation really. Not many people will separate sci-fi from space-opera, and to be fair the lines are blurred somewhat.

Personally, I do prefer more science than I do fiction when dealing with sci-fi, but I have a strong science background, and prefer things to be feasible. To grab an audience and keep them interested your story has to be cohesive and plausible (I totally agree), and the OT had that, whereas the PT did not. Infact, the PT destroyed some elements of the OT for me.

Anyways, good points from both sides :)

2. SionsBrother

SionsBrother Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 26, 2006
    Maybe they should make it about Rogue Squadron during the Yuuzhan Vong War, maybe see Jaina
    Solo blow up some skips.

3. Lavaman

Lavaman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 19, 2003

:cool:I agree

4. DARTH_VRUC

DARTH_VRUC Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 20, 2004
    Sure, I actually agree with you. Jedi were an essential part of the OT. When I watched ANH at the humble age of 3 I ran behind the couch at the sight of Darth Vader. I almost cried when Obi died.
    Jedi were incredible, mystical warrior-philosophers, and it was a beauty to watch them fight. There was something incredible captivating in the lightsabre, when the humble, wise man was pushed too far and was forced to fight his opponent...
    I look back to the days of the OT with a nostalgia and a deep sense of something lost, and those are the them.

Wondering why I'm talking in past tense?

The Jedi, at least what they originally were, died. Not only in the movie itself, but as a concept. Now we've got blatant, flat, non-caring Jedi-action hero characters running all over the place, drawing their weapons and killing people for this-and-that! I'm not sure when did the mystic, shadowy figure of the Jedi-philosopher, who is much as an artist and an intellectual as a warrior (warrior, mind you, not a thug they're) disappeard. Jedi nowdays are so popular especially because they are now unstoppable, mindless killing-machines. And the mass viewer/player loves exactly that.

God's sake, there are fewer "normal" people in the PT than Jedi, not to mention main characters! How many potential subplots, which wouldn't have hurt at all the "space fairy tail" feeling of the Saga, were wasted to add more pointless saberfights!? A longer, deeper and more beliavable love story, the usage of a cloned army (leave the Mando stuff aside, I'm talking about human rights perspective), a more detailed look into the Confederacy and its "cause" (which in the movie simply didn't exist; then how did half the Galaxy join it, free cookies?!)...

If the TV show is about something, let it be of the ordinary men. Not about a killer for hire (as much as I love Boba Fett), not about action-heroes with shiny weapons, not politics(!).
    Let us know, feel, understand why did the Galaxy change? How did the population of the GFFA percieve the Empire and the New Order, why did the people fight for one side or the other?

Doesn't mean you have to turn it into a drama. But I don't want another set of "arena battles". Han Solo, Darth Vader, Obi-Wan were all truely deep and powerfull characters without loosing any of their charm, be it a funny, grumpy pirate or an evil lord...

5. DarthDubya05

DarthDubya05 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2005
    I Concur.

6. jedi-master-anikinrl

jedi-master-anikinrl Jedi Youngling

Oct 24, 2006
    I would think if would be awsome to have that because you can see what happens with Rouge Squad instead of on the video games and see how good they will do on the ships.

7. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Ive_Got_Two_Legs Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 18, 2005
    That article with the Lucas interview worries me.

For one, he's making it sound like it'll be after the start of the Rebellion, which is a pretty narrow time right before Episode IV. A lot of room for continuity problems there (especially with Lucas writing it - forget about Rogues showing up), we're just going to get a lot more of the same, and he's missing a golden opportunity here to show the Empire at its height.

Second, no matter what us fanboys think, to the public Star Wars will be Jedi more than X-wings. Making a show entirely about X-wing or TIE pilots would just have the public do what the guy in the very interview did, immediately compare it to BSG. And given Lucas' current writing abilities as evidenced by the PT, there's no way he'd contrast positively to BSG. Having it set during the Jedi purge with a fugutive Jedi would not only liekly draw more viewers in (as well as keep them for more than one episode), it'd also help establish the show more as 'Star Wars on TV' rather than 'bad BSG ripoff' to the public.

8. Golden_Jedi_Knight

Golden_Jedi_Knight Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2007
    I don't think Ford would be convinced to play Han Solo again. At least, this is what I believe based on what I've heard about his attitude toward the character. I would enjoy seeing him play an older Han Solo, though.

9. Golden_Jedi_Knight

Jan 6, 2007
    The time period between Episodes 3 and 4 is almost 20 years. I'm not sure how that can be considered "narrow." As for continuity problems, well, that depends on your definition of continuity.

It would be ironic to have a Star Wars TV series be called a "Battlestar Galactica ripoff." The original Galactica series in the '70s was essentially a Star Wars ripoff.

I have faith that Lucas will make this new series work well. He's done television before. He did the Young Indiana Jones series, which I enjoyed when it first aired.

I'm a little puzzled, Two_Legs, as to why you believe Lucas' writing abilities aren't currently good. Episode 3 was a very emotional movie for many diehard fans. I thought it was brilliant the way Lucas had Palpatine manipulate everyone to gain absolute power. Was the story perfect? No, but I don't see why you would say the writing was bad.

10. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Ive_Got_Two_Legs Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 18, 2005
    And people noticed and criticized it for that. It was also a crap show.

There were some good writing in ROTS, no doubt. But not enough to counteract the huge amount of piss-poor writing in ROTS, to say nothing of the other prequels. And I assume by "everyone" you mean Anakin since that's the only one Palpatine really interacts with in ROTS.

11. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    I have to agree with you there that the writing was terrible. It was extremely clumsy at times, and occasionally painful to watch.

12. Golden_Jedi_Knight

Jan 6, 2007
    By "everyone," I mean the Senate, the Jedi, the Separatists . . . pretty much everyone that matters to the story. The Senate was manipulated into giving Palpatine absolute power to do whatever it took to protect the Republic from the Separatists. The Jedi were manipulated into thinking the Separatists were the real threat when, in fact, it was Palpatine who was really behind the war. The Separatists were manipulated into fighting against what they saw to be a corrupt Republic. Granted, this manipulation didn't start in "Revenge of the Sith"; obviously, it ran through all three films.

Back to the subject of the writing in ROTS: I've accepted the film's flaws and not allowed them to diminish my enjoyment of the film overall. I thought it was a little strange that they had Obi-Wan and Anakin jumping around from one place to another during their battle on Mustafar, but then suddenly, Obi-Wan jumps from a floating platform back onto land and says "It's over, Anakin! I have the high ground!" [face_laugh] Gotta admit, they could've done the ending of the battle better than that.

As imperfect as the film was, though, I have to say that I was moved by the way it ended. The buildup from the person Anakin was at the start of the film to where he ended up was very dramatic. In the theater, some people around me cried when Anakin was being put in the Vader armor and Padme died. It was a great movie, overall, IMO.

13. younghansolo

younghansolo Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 2, 2002
    I would love to see a young han solo pop up as an imp pilot at some point. even if just for one episiode I would love to see Han and fel vs a young wedge. Maybe havomg Han feeling bad about what he was doing and leaving the service with a certain wookie.

One thing i dont want however is a galactica clone. I want good old fashioned star wars fun with a bit of everything. maybe the occasional jedi, or bounty hunter etc.

14. boba_fett_protector

boba_fett_protector Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 24, 2004
    A Rogue Squadron show might be cool, but with the show taking place between III and IV it won't happen. Not to mention, I'd rather focus on the more scummy characters - smugglers, gamblers, bounty hunters - that kinda thing.

15. Jamiebacca

Jamiebacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    I think there's nothing wrong with a rogue sqaudron-ISH show. And you could easily incorporate Jabba, Boba, TIE fighters, etc. in it.

Just as long as there's no more Jedi (unless they're under a certain crimson sabre - chop chop).

16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Actually it depends on what approach to continuity LFL and whoever ends up running this show decide upon- they might decide the Tv show has a higher canon ranking than other sources, or they might make it EU-integrated like the 3D Clone Wars show will apparently be.

17. Jamiebacca

Jun 17, 2003
    Continuity schmontinuity.

Who cares as long as it's GOOD!

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, you have to have some degree of continuity (at least with the films at the minimum)- afterall, if it doesn't fit in and evolve the saga's story, what's the point then?

19. Jamiebacca

Jun 17, 2003
    Hold on, I totally agree about continuity with films & tv.

In fact, here is my opion on what is canon: it's not the type of media, it's the level of GL's involvement. Anything which has Lucas' direct involement as story writer or executive producer is canon.

GL sat in on the Shadows of the Empire development sessions - it's canon.
    GL sat in on the development of the Clone Wars catoons - they're canon.
    GL wrote the stories for the Ewok TV movies - they're canon.

Any book, game or comic which was done without GL's direct imput: fills in the gaps, but isn't important enough to worry about. (guess that covers pretty much anything post ROTJ).

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, that approach is kinda an iffy one (though I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it being your personal approach to things)- there are a lot of novels, comics, games, etc that have had some level of input from Lucas, not to mention LFL classifies non-film content as secondary canon (equal to pretty much everything else published), even if it had direct involvement by Lucas.

And then you gotta factor in some of the posisbilities that have been hinted at for the TV show- Lucas apparently dictating Quinlan's survival in the comics so he could possibly appear in the Tv show, for example. So if that does happen, you gotta wonder why bother imlementing that level of coordination with the comics if your going to utilize a character in a manner inconsistant with the source material that made him so popular to begin with? There's gonna have to be some degree of continuity between the show and those non-film/tv sources, in that scenario.

Throw in the Clone Wars 3D show, which we know for a fact is coordinating with the existing Clone Wars EU material, and it hints towards a more inclusive approach to continuity being likely for the live action series.

21. Jamiebacca

Jun 17, 2003
    Well, I'm not too stubborn to see your point.
    Perhaps the EU co-ordinated while making the prequels has a heavier canon-ness.

This still doesn't change m mind about the EU books released before they started the prequels, though. There's enough holes there to fill the Albert Hall!

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Retcons are half the fun ;)

23. Darth_Shpydar

Darth_Shpydar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 31, 2006
    Fair enough to have your own opinion on the canon-issue (hey, everyone does it seems [face_peace]) , but that's not LFL's position on it. Of course though, GL has free reign to change or "violate" any existant EU through the TV shows. But as it stands -- per LFL -- the EU is canon.

24. Jamiebacca

Jun 17, 2003
    It is? Really?

Has there ever been attempts to 'explain' continuity issues in the EU by anyone @ LFL?

25. Darth_Shpydar

Darth_Shpydar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 31, 2006
    I'm not the best person to answer this, but the general concept is this --

The movies are the ultimate authority. When anything directly contradicts the flims, the films win out. The canon is divided into levels of "canonocity" (for lack of a better term).

"G" canon are the films and the word of Lucas himself -- i believe this may extend as well to things like the novelizations of the films, DVD commentary, etc.

The next level of canon is "C" canon This is almost everything else -- novels, comics, etc -- so long as they do not directly contradict film content (and, even if portions of them do contradict film content, the explanation for the conflict can be "retconned", that is, explained away somehow).

The next level -- which may in fact no longer be in effect -- is "S" canon. This one is a little unclear, and in fact may not exist anymore. Originally, LFL said "S" canon would include some of the older EU material, but this concept has changed. Whether there is an "S" level anymore is debatable. A common concept is that certain older material will be "S" canon until specifically referenced in another "C" canon work, which then makes it (at least partially) "C" canon itself.

The final level is "N" canon -- things which are specifically NOT canon. This includes the Infinities comics and anything that has been completely overruled by the films (with no retconning).

Others can explain this better than I; check over at the Lit forum for a few threads on this if you're interested. But that's it in a not-so-clear nutshell, as laid out by LFL.

The bottom line is that no matter what, Lucas wins. If he wants something, like the TV show, to contradict any existing EU, he can do it. But it should be noted that to date, Lucas has had Star Wars TV -- The Clone Wars series -- also be "C" canon EU material.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.