main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

St. Lou, MO What do you think about the packaging for the DVDs?

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by quigon_brian, Jun 21, 2004.

?

What do you think about the packaging for the DVDs?

Poll closed Sep 19, 2004.
  1. *****

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  2. ****

7 vote(s)
    46.7%
  3. ***

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. **

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CuppaJoe

CuppaJoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 24, 2002
    I'm still buying them.

2. CuppaJoe

Aug 24, 2002
    " I'm still with Diva on this one, it's like changing the Bible. "

[face_laugh] hahahaha.....ya serious?

Welp, for those interested:

http://www.millenniumfalcon.com/millenniumfalcon_otdvd_rotj_anakinchristensen1_sm.png

http://www.millenniumfalcon.com/millenniumfalcon_otdvd_rotj_anakinchristensen2_sm.png

The video:
    http://www.cinemablend.com/new.php?id=297

They're George's movies, and just becaus ea change like this doesn't mean you gotta hate them suddenly. It's only the insane purists (I'm speaking in general here, not meaning any of you) that are going to be pissed, the average movie goer is going to care less what he changes, so it's really no big deal. They're movies. Besides, I think it's cool. And no one knows if it's real or fake (I actually am skeptical about it...looks kinda photoshoped). He's doing this because he can. He had no actor to play a younger Anakin years ago, because he had no idea of what Anakin would look like. So you can just say Sebastian's ghost was just a temporary thing. But, c'mon, it'd be silly NOT to buy the dvds, right? People have been beggin' these dvds to come for years and for improvements to be made, and fans complain about stuff, nitpicky kinda stuff, and George starts to think "hmmm..maybe I should change this......or if I change this maybe people would agree with me more...." but ya know, theyre his movies. He cant do everything for the fans.

Look on the bright side, Han shoots first again!!!

3. Dagobah_Diva

Dagobah_Diva Jedi Master star 4

Sep 24, 2002
    It's just that those movies were some of my fondest childhood memories...and they're being ripped to shreds and replaced with new things. I'm not happy about it but it won't keep me from buying them.

The changes are real. I talked to a guy who had ROTJ on DVD already (don't know how he pulled that) and he confirmed it. The "ghost" is now Hayden but Shaw still remains in the "dying of Vader" scene. Sure, Lucas can change what he wants since he made them, but if I ever get the chance to speak to him, I'll make sure he knows that I think the changes suck. Just try growing up with something that you love and all of a sudden it's altered.

4. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    I'm with ya Diva, all the way. I hate that MF.com site, they're so mean there. I've been banned but I never even registered. No loss.

5. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    MF.com has proved useful to me quite a bit recently. Yeah, they're uptight there but I don't post and just use everything they post so I think I win.

As for the changes to the movies, I like them. When someone who has never seen Star Wars watches all six movies, seeing Hayden at the end of ROTJ redeemed and in the Light will be much more emotional than an old guy who they'll have to struggle to recognize. No disrespect to Shaw, but I do believe that it will hold more emotion. Besides that, the rest is mostly cosmetic. I applaud putting Ian in ESB because he is the Emperor. I've heard audio on that scene and it sounds great. And changing Boba's voice doesn't bother me, it doesn't sound radically different anyway. Remember, they're George's movies and if he wants to change them he can. Personally I think this will help newer fans get into Star Wars, which is always a good thing.

6. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    I'm with Diva and Dajuan. Having to go back and actually change the original movies shows just how weak the prequals really are. It demonstrated how, through lack of for(c)esight, Lucas left himself a bunch of plot holes that he's being to stupid to figure out how to fill in.

And instead of trying to deal with these plot holes, it's like he's sweeping them under the rug and saying "what plot holes?" I don't know how many of you have read the book 1984 but it's similar to how the government in that book would control its citizens: By removing anything that could ever make them question its infallibility.

7. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Chiss, there also comes a time where the movies cease to be Lucas's and become ours as a culture. I think that time has passed, these are our movies now, not his. I think one of the deciding points for that was when NASA made a public SW joke about that moon that looks like the Death Star.

I guess I can always to with these movies what I do with the SE, buy it, watch it once in a while, but usually just watch my regular videos. I guess I can always get the Sparrowed versions of the original originals. Anyone want to go in on that with me?

8. quigon_brian

quigon_brian Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2001
    like I said folks, as soon as I get a DVD burner (which might be this winter if santa thinks I've been good enough) I'm planning on producing original trilogy DVDs using a transfer from the laserdiscs.

I've still been looking around to see if there is anyway I could ghetto rig a digital transfer from the player to my computer like somehow converting the output into a firewire port. If anybody knows a lot about that stuff, feel free to PM me. If I can't figure it out I'm going to have to simply transfer it throught the video cable. It will still look really good, but not as great as I would like.

As far as the subject of George changing the movies yet again, I highly recommend South Park episode 609 - Free Hat
    in it, the boys go to see the re-re-re-release of ESB. In it, the entire cast has been digitally replaced with ewoks.
    They get mad and start a club to stop directors from changing their movies. They actually have some really thoughtful lines and make some good points in the episode.

you can go on any file sharing program and download it. the file should be about 36 megs. if you don't want to do that, I can IM it to anyone when I get back to school in 2 and a half weeks.

9. chiss_man

Jul 1, 2002
    Chiss, there also comes a time where the movies cease to be Lucas's and become ours as a culture. I think that time has passed, these are our movies now, not his. I think one of the deciding points for that was when NASA made a public SW joke about that moon that looks like the Death Star.

Actually Lucas can do what he wants with these movies, he owns them. I think it would have been better if he had worked the PT to fit better with the OT, not the other way around, but since its too late for that then it's good there is an attempt at some level of continuity. Besides, like I've said most changes are cosmetic at best. The story itself remains unchanged. Unless you had an undying love of the Emperor's slugs...

10. CuppaJoe

Aug 24, 2002
    Dajuan, they are his movies. They won't cease to be, either,
    if he wants to have fun with them, let him have fun with them.

Chiss_Man, that's exactly what I was saying...he's doing this basically for new audiences. It's not like it's the absolute main version of star wars, there's always going to be two or three different versions. So he says, "maybe I can do this.....just for fun." So, it's not like he's destroying the movies. The original versions will ALWAYS EXIST. So you shouldn't not buy the dvds just because of one change...that'd be kinda childish :p

11. DarthShoey

DarthShoey Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2003
    So, has it been confirmed that Han shoots first again. For the most part, I was o.k. with the changes he made.

But I gotta tell ya, by changing that scene in the Cantina, he basically changed the entire character of Han Solo. Han shot first. This establishes that he is a pirate, a smuggler, simply - not a good guy. He obviously was not afraid to get his hands dirty. I liked that about his character. Would he stiff our heroes and leave them high and dry? Why not? He just fried that green b@st@rd to a crisp. Han was my favorite "good guy" from back when it all started. That tiny, little change made all the difference in the world.

It's kinda like watching "The Breakfast Club" on regular T.V.

"What about you Dad?
    (Bad voice over) "Flip you."
    "No Dad, what about you?"
    (Bad voice over) "Flip you!"
    "NO DAD, WHAT ABOUT YOU??"
    (Bad voice over) "FLIP YOU! BAM"

Loses something fromthe original.

I know others have said this before, but it's true. Greedo shooting first really stuck in my craw.

12. chiss_man

Jul 1, 2002
    Greedo still shoots first, from what I know.

13. CuppaJoe

Aug 24, 2002
    I've read several places including MF.com(which I think is a VERY funny place) that Han shoots first again. Hope it's true.

14. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    I don't care if the changes are cosmetic. I want the movies I grew up with. They won't always be available either. One day my versions will break and I'll be outta luck. They are not selling that version anymore.

Brian, if you are serious I will take a set please. I'd just really like to watch my favorite movies on DVD.

I agree with you Tim with your synopsis of Han's character. They never should have changed that scene. It made his transformation to respectable all the more powerful.

Also I don't beleive not buying them is childish. It is making a statement that you will not buy something you don't agree with. Watch the baiting Cuppa.

15. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    he's doing this basically for new audiences.

While in the mean time, pissing off several of the established fans who are the ones that have been around for a long time and are the ones with the money. The "new audiences" are mostly kids that don't have money to spend. Not to good of a marketing strategy George...

So you shouldn't not buy the dvds just because of one change

If it were one SMALL change, I might not mind. But this is taking serious liberties. He has the right to do that as the director, but I, as the consumer, have the right not to buy it. Not being able to tie up plot holes and tie up continuity is just a sign of bad, lazy writing. If George wants to be knows as a lazy writer, so be it. But I know damn well that many of the fans could tie up the plot holes without having to go back and change the originals.

...that'd be kinda childish

Pot, meet kettle.

16. Dagobah_Diva

Sep 24, 2002
    I don't think the younger fans really need the changes to tie it in with the new ones. If you really like SW you will already have seen the OT. My seven year old has seen all of them and knows that the "ghost" is Vader/Anakin and why he appears that way and not as Vader. If she can understand it, I think others can manage.

I do agree with Chiss's statement that it will be more emotional for Hayden to appear and we know that he is redeemed.

This is going to be an endless battle of the younger among us against us older fans. A New Hope was the first movie I ever saw in a theater. I'm emotionally attached to a certain version. You younger folks are attached to the newer ones because you have "grown up" with them.

So is Lucass going to eventually release our good ol' versions on DVD?

17. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    I don't think he is. As far as he's concerned the other versions no longer exist.

18. Dagobah_Diva

Sep 24, 2002
    Did you notice my intentional typo? I have a whole love/hate thing for him.

19. chiss_man

Jul 1, 2002
    According to Lucas, these versions are the finished versions and that the originals will never be out on DVD. There's always rumors that an "Archive Edition" will be out in 2006 (which would be the originals) but that is unconfirmed.

I still stand by my statement that these changes will make the saga as a whole flow better. I just found out today I'm going to be an uncle and when I show the kid Star Wars, it'll be easier for them to get into it. These changes are not for us so much as for the casual fan, and I do believe that is a good thing.

Besides, I've seen a lot of DVD screenshots and the visual quality is AMAZING. I would think you would buy them just to see such a crisp looking version of the OT. I know it would be an incentive for me (as if I needed one already).

20. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    This debate will wage forever with no side gaining the edge. Diva's right it's younger crowd vs. the older crowd. Where the break line is I don't know.

I see your typo now Diva, funny. I feel the same way some days.

21. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    I still stand by my statement that these changes will make the saga as a whole flow better.

And I still stand by my statement that if Lucas weren't such a crapy writer and had someone help him with the screenplay (like in all the OT movies) it wouldn't be full of plot holes and needing to hack a classic to pieces.

22. chiss_man

Jul 1, 2002
    I already said I wish that the PT was made better to match up with the OT, but in lieu of that this is the next best option.

23. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    He's still got an Ep III to go fix everything in. Wouldn't really take much. But no, he takes the easy way out.

24. CuppaJoe

Aug 24, 2002
    Well, sometimes it is younger crowd vs. older crowd, but I know several people who have grown up with the original trilogy and LOVE the prequels. But the thing is, star wars is going to live on. I think eventually, even if it takes up to ten-twenty years, all the star wars(including the prequels) films will be viewed as classics on a whole. Even most of the actors have said that this next film is the redeemer, and have admitted that Episode I (even though it actually got mostly good reviews, except for that of die-hard movie geeks) was awful, Episode II got a little better (it also had mostly positive reviews, except for that of ebert and peter travers) and Episode III is gonna bring us back to the OT. Even if the average movie goer likes it, the "purists" are still gonna bash. Episode III can't be perfect for everyone, even if it does deliver. Personally, I think it will, because I kinda think Lucas intentionally "bored" us with the first two episodes, and Episode III is basically the main reason he's making this trilogy. It's the only one he's been thinking of these past 12+ years, and maybe, just maybe he rushed through the writing of Episodes I and II, eventhough it took a while, in eagnerness to get to Episode III? Who knows.

25. DarthShoey

DarthShoey Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2003
    Hey CuppaJoe - save some crack for the rest us buddy!

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.