main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Awards What do you think of Award threads?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Sara_Kenobi, Apr 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Yeah, I meant EUC, not Literature. And Games are cliqued too (I just don't visit them often - I don't visit them at all, to be precise).

2. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I was happy to see such ideas getting out for the future Fan Fiction award thread for this year; but as mentioned, it was stepping off topic for what I wanted this thread used for.

I want to thank both Mar and Mely for sharing their ideas and thoughts here though, and wish them luck for what they're about to do with this years Fan Fiction awards.

Hopefully it will be all what we wish for it to be.

3. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I thought of something.

I should have went with this as a poll.

4. Fluke_Groundwalker

Fluke_Groundwalker Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 11, 2001
    Force Boat, anyone?

MAH GAWD!!!!! TEH FORCE BOAT!! PARTé!!!! WHERE ARE TEH SNAKS?!?!! TEH SNAK ATTAK!!!!

*ahem*

Frankly, I think anywhere you go, there are going to be cliques. It's a part of human life; where there is a large group of people, there is bound to be a few cliques.

5. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    I must agree with Fluke on this one. No matter how much you try to prevent it, if you have such large community like this one, there will always be smaller groups within it.

Heck, even in my high school class (and in Slovakia we have a different school system, so my class was about 30 people) we had several smaller groups. But the thing is, that during our senior year we were able to get together and become one community.

And this is what we're trying to achieve, even if it's just for the Awards - we want to get together with all the writers and readers and become one community, cliques aside. :)

6. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    It's funny, the one's mentioning cliques (this is after my post btw), are the ones who are part of them IMO.

Anyway perhaps that needs a thread all of it's own.

Rules for awards are a good idea but I'm sticking to my idea. Feedback, good or bad, is fine by me :) Awards...hmmm a nice bonus but one I don't long for.

7. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    It's been my experience that Fanfic was one big community.

It's things like the awards and social threads that have led to the fragmentation. I don't see them as being the solution.

8. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    It's funny, the one's mentioning cliques (this is after my post btw), are the ones who are part of them IMO.

Isn't that proof enough that we're trying to make difference? If people from the cliques themselves are trying to make difference, I think it's more encouraging than if people who aren't part of any clubs or cliques are trying to change things.

Believe me, I haven't been here for as long as some people, but I can see the need for uniting the whole board. And I know that the Awards have gained a reputation of a popularity contest, but that's why we're trying to change it.

It's things like the awards and social threads that have led to the fragmentation.

Well, then I think it's the high time to change things, isn't it?

9. Ginger_Jedi

Jun 4, 2001
    Isn't that proof enough that we're trying to make difference? If people from the cliques themselves are trying to make difference, I think it's more encouraging than if people who aren't part of any clubs or cliques are trying to change things.

That's all very well but it's the people who feel uncomfortable who brought it to their attention in the first place.

It's things like the awards and social threads that have led to the fragmentation. I don't see them as being the solution.

I agree completely.

Should you be coming up with rules, I think everyone in the entire forum (both this one and the fan fiction stories one) should have a chance to choose/vote for them so everyone who wants a say gets it.

10. Qwi_Xux

Qwi_Xux Jedi Master star 4

Oct 5, 2001
    Hmmm...well, I have to disagree with the clique thing. I'm certainly not a part of any. (And I'm not part of one and just blind to it.) I like talking to anyone and everyone on these boards, and hearing (or reading ;) ) their opinions.

Should you be coming up with rules, I think everyone in the entire forum (both this one and the fan fiction stories one) should have a chance to choose/vote for them so everyone who wants a say gets it.

Don't you see? If everyone got to choose/vote on the rules, then the argument would go on for months. What one person views as 'fair' someone else might think would screw up everything. Which is why Mely and Mar are doing their best to come up with honest regulations--to try to make sure everyone is happy. However, some people won't be able to be happy unless they, themselves, dictate as the 'proper' rules. This isn't supposed to be an argument about what rules should be deemed proper--this thread was created to get your opinion on awards. It seems to me that we're overstepping the lines of what the intentions of this thread were.

Even Sara, the creator of this thread, said:

I was happy to see such ideas getting out for the future Fan Fiction award thread for this year; but as mentioned, it was stepping off topic for what I wanted this thread used for.

I want to thank both Mar and Mely for sharing their ideas and thoughts here though, and wish them luck for what they're about to do with this years Fan Fiction awards.

Hopefully it will be all what we wish for it to be.

This isn't a dictatorship; Mely and Mar aren't trying to hold us down and shove their ideas down our throats; they're trying to make you feel more comfortable and happy with the awards. It's wonderful that you have the idea for people to vote on rules, Ginger, but there are too many different arguments that would spring up from that. Mely and Mar are simply trying to use the rules that are already there and make them better--for your benefit. :)

True in some cases. But most (such as SMOOCH) aren't 'cliques.' It's something that anyone can participate in to show the 'mush' that they've written, and get other peoples' opinions on it.

11. Ginger_Jedi

Jun 4, 2001
    Well I guess that's that huh.

Everyone's entitled to their opinions on these matters ('cause there's no longer one matter here ;) ) and mine remains unchanged. Sorry.

So how about we let this thread sink now? :)

Of course if ya don't want to I'm always up for more fun debating.

One more thing: remember the other issues that were brought up. They'll need addressing just as much as the award threads.

12. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    One more thing: remember the other issues that were brought up. They'll need addressing just as much as the award threads.

May I remind you that this thread is about Award threads?

13. DarthLothi

DarthLothi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 4, 2001
    I think we're pole-vaulting over mouse turds here, people. If you like the awards, participate. If you don't, don't. It's not like anyone's next royalty payment is based on whether or not they win the JC's Best Author Award. [face_plain]

14. Melyanna

Melyanna Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Everyone's entitled to their opinions on these matters ('cause there's no longer one matter here) and mine remains unchanged. Sorry.

So how about we let this thread sink now?

This is precisely the attitude we want to avoid. This subject isn't going to go away just by ignoring it.

I will be happy to remain open-minded about this issue. I think that a group like SMOOCH may look like a clique from the outside, but in reality, it just tends to attract certain kinds of people. The same thing can be said of the fanfic board. People who don't like NJO stories aren't going to read them, and therefore cliques, for lack of a better word, will form. Short of forcing everyone to read everything, there's no way around this.

But being stubborn and unyielding when others are trying to rectify the situation will not help at all. If you have an opinion on the matter, please feel free to express it, but if you're unwilling to listen to the opinions of others, you're unlikely to convince anyone.

Mel

15. Ginger_Jedi

Jun 4, 2001
    May I remind you that this thread is about Award threads?

[face_plain]

I think we're pole-vaulting over mouse turds here, people. If you like the awards, participate. If you don't, don't. It's not like anyone's next royalty payment is based on whether or not they win the JC's Best Author Award.

Exactly!

This is precisely the attitude we want to avoid. This subject isn't going to go away just by ignoring it.

OK, sorry. I felt this was coming to some sort of conculsion but I guess not.

I will be happy to remain open-minded about this issue. I think that a group like SMOOCH may look like a clique from the outside, but in reality, it just tends to attract certain kinds of people. The same thing can be said of the fanfic board. People who don't like NJO stories aren't going to read them, and therefore cliques, for lack of a better word, will form. Short of forcing everyone to read everything, there's no way around this.

That's not the kind of clique I mean. It's the way a group of people here barge in, give their opinion and leave anyone else feeling somewhat lost. The above are groups chatting about NJO or whatever. They're different.

But that's my point of view.

But being stubborn and unyielding when others are trying to rectify the situation will not help at all. If you have an opinion on the matter, please feel free to express it, but if you're unwilling to listen to the opinions of others, you're unlikely to convince anyone.

But am I not entitled to my opinion? I'm perfectly willing to listen to others and yes, their opinion is their own, they're entitled to it and people are welcome to adopt it but like you said, that takes convincing.

I don't want to have an argument with anyone but this is how I feel and I understand and accept I may be a minority.

16. Darth_Tim

Darth_Tim Jedi Master star 4

Feb 26, 2002
    That's not the kind of clique I mean. It's the way a group of people here barge in, give their opinion and leave anyone else feeling somewhat lost. The above are groups chatting about NJO or whatever. They're different. >>

Note it's odd that many of these "clique" types I've met sem to be a rather friendly and unpretentious lot. I was a newbie, I IM'ed some people, who I guess you could call members of a clique, and they were nice to me, treated me with respect and dencency, seemed interested in what I had to say...if people feel "intimidated" by FF authors, well, I think that's "another issue" as you put it.

This openness goes for many popular authors I've chatted with. But I digress.

"...barge in, give their opinion and leave anyone else lost"

Well, on a message board, that's what people do. "Barge into" a topic and give their opinion.

But that's my point of view. >>

And you are certainly entitled to it. But keep in mind that some people have come in here and offered specific and highly intelligent advice, while others have complained at great length about the awards while claiming "indifference," and still others have seem to merely complain or criticize, without attempting to offer any sort of constructive opinion or viable solution.

-Tim

17. Jedi-Jae

Jedi-Jae Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2001
    I think we're pole-vaulting over mouse turds here, people.

[face_laugh]

I see that southern backwoods eloquence is shining through again, Lothi. ;)

Mar, dare I ask about your sig...?

18. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    I already explained it to you, J-J.... ;) For further questions, ask Loreley. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.