main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion What do you think of Gary Whitta being hired as screenwriter for the first spin-off?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Darth Nerdling, Jun 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    I can't seem to find a separate thread for the other half of the Spin-off announcement -- the hiring of Gary Whitta as its screenwriter -- so I guess I'll make one myself.

I guess I'll start by expressing my very nuanced view on this topic: I don't like that Gary Whitta has been hired for the spin-off!!!!! He is totally dismissive of the PT, which I'm mostly okay with, but his spin-off is supposed to deal with Boba Fett, who is featured along with his father in the PT. It seems unlikely to me that someone who is so dismissive of the PT can write a screenplay that is faithful to and compatible with ATOC's versions of Boba and Jango, who is basically Boba's older identical twin as well as his father, meaning their personalities would likely be pretty similar.

I also wonder whether Whitta will write a screenplay that can't be appreciated by young kids, as this video of the following link suggest he's not too kid-friendly (and perhaps slightly psychotic), and yes, I know he's trying to be funny, but this seems a little extreme to me.

http://io9.com/why-screenwriter-gary-whittas-rant-proves-hes-perfect-f-1580629569

Finally, I question his talents given that he wrote After Earth, which I think most people who've seen it regard as being a total failure. As a side point, I also wonder why -- if he's so willing to be so snarky about the PT -- he doesn't make any snarky comments about himself and the failure of After Earth. (Actually, it's pretty clear why he wouldn't write snarky comments about himself. I'm just being snarky myself.:) )

EternalHero and The Revanchist like this.
  2. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    There's no confirmation that it is a Boba Fett spinoff. And Boba's personality doesn't really have to be the same as Jango's, as the two lived very different lives.

I have no problem with someone making a Star Wars movie recognizing flaws in the films... as long as they recognize that all six films are flawed, not just the prequels. Whitta does come off a bit strong as a prequel- basher, which I don't like (anyone who knows me knows I am a huge fan of the complete, six part saga-- really, a seventh film isn't even necessary), but hey... maybe something good might come out of it.

FRAGWAGON, Bob Octa and LunarMoth like this.
  3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Where has it been confirmed that he's writing a Boba Fett spinoff? That aside, my opinion is I don't care about his opinions on the prequels. I'll judge his work when I see it.

4. w4tkn

w4tkn Jedi Master star 1

Jan 25, 2013
    So these Spin offs are not Episode 7 related, shouldn't these start to go somewhere else now?

5. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    [​IMG]
    I honestly dont care what the writer of a spin off thinks about the prequels. I mean if he was writing one of the episodes then that would be a different story.

6. Granger

Granger Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    Nothing he's said concerns me too much, though he's a bit over dramatic about it. He takes Star Wars seriously and has high standards for what he wants in a SW movie. Best of luck to him. I do hope it won't be a Boba Fett movie as I'm firmly in the less is more camp with that character.

cwustudent and Darth Lurker like this.
  7. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    There's about 60+ pages of users (myself included) going around in circles about Whitta's comments in this thread: Gareth Edwards to Direct First Spin-Off!

To summarize, users seem to fall into two buckets: those who don't think a screenwriter's years-old internet forum postings in any way hinder his ability to write a good Star Wars screenplay (I'm in this camp) and those who think his apparent dislike of the PT films and changes to the OT over time (the "**** Lucas and his vandalized Blu-Rays" particularly rattled some) somehow disqualify him from ever working on a Star Wars film.

8. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Yep that about sums it up DW

9. Darth Nerdling

Mar 20, 2013

Nobody cares about After Earth?

The Revanchist and Dra--- like this.
  10. Young Yoda

Young Yoda Jedi Knight star 1

May 4, 2014
    I'm a big PT fan, but :

1/ He erased (or tried to erase) his old posts.
    2/ Now he is nice to George (https://twitter.com/garywhitta/status/466642742798745600)
    3/ He writes a script which must align with the Prequels and The Clone Wars, "immovable objects of Star Wars history" (http://starwars.com/news/the-legendary-star-wars-expanded-universe-turns-a-new-page.html) :D

So this guy has totally submitted himself for the job, and this is good.

Now I wish him good luck and I hope this will be a good movie.

11. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Seems like this has already been discussed ad nauseum in the Gareth Edwards thread...but I think his comments show that he's a true Star Wars fan. He takes revisions and alterations of the original material seriously; they bother him, so what? Also, the best writers have strong opinions about art, so his critique of the PT shows he has his own voice, or at least he believes he has one. ;)

The more relevant question is whether or not he's a good screenplay writer. I don't think we know for sure, but the evidence suggests he may not be -- or has had some bad luck.

However, Gareth Edwards is not only a director but writer too, so I think when all is said and done the spin off will look pretty good.

12. Padme's Love Slave

Padme's Love Slave Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 16, 2013
    My problem with it is that it's as if they just handed Star Wars over to some rude immature f-bomb dropping YouTube commenter. It's completely unprofessional for someone in the industry like him. Can anyone picture JJ Abrams posting comments like these? Or Lawrence Kasdan?

13. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Dra--- and darth ladnar like this.
  14. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    Here's my thoughts: there's an undeniable existence of a demographic who loves only the originals. If they want to try to tap that demographic, why not hire a guy who's a part of that demographic? "Star Wars won't be raping any childhoods under MY watch!", he may think to himself. And for some reason I'm okay with that.

resnictem, StrikerKOJ and Dra--- like this.
  15. markdeez

markdeez Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2005
    I'll give Gary Whitta his chance to shine, but I'm not overly optimistic about the choice

EternalHero likes this.
  16. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I'll tell you what I think once I see the movie.

17. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Title changed at author's request... and simply because it makes more sense this way. :p

darth ladnar likes this.
  18. Death_Jar_Jar

Death_Jar_Jar Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 30, 2014
    I think it's cool. He seems like a huge Star Wars fan, I liked his writing in 'Prey' and 'Book of Eli', and I'm sure he must have made an awesome pitch in order for Disey to hire him.

19. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    As long as he is excited for his movie, that is enough for me.

20. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Oh good lord, this again? Didn't we have this discussion in the other thread? People are allowed to have their own opinions, even the ones that make movies. As long as he does a good job in the end, that's what matters.

TX-20 and Darth_Downunder like this.
  21. klooney

klooney Jedi Master star 1

Jul 2, 2009
    No, maybe Bob Orci though.

22. markdeez

markdeez Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2005
    I just think maybe they wanted to give it to a fanboy, so they chose Whitta. Hell, I'd rather give it to Kyle Newman or Kevin Smith or anybody else, atleast they'd probably entertain :D

23. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Don't care about what he said in some forum years ago or even what he has worked on. Now that he's hired we can only judge him in hindsight after seeing the movie. If it's a good film with a good script then it will have been a good appointment. Until I see the results I'll keep an open mind.

TX-20, Dewback and Force Smuggler like this.
  24. Darth Nerdling

Mar 20, 2013
    I think there's a lot more to look at with this guy than just his opinions about the PT. I think the following are important issues to consider both pro and con:
    • Does Whitta have enough writing experience to take on such a major project as a Star Wars spin-off?
    • Do your opinions of The Book of Eli and After Earth increase or decrease your faith in his ability to pull it off?
    • Is this guy kid-friendly enough to write a Star Wars spin-off or do the Star Wars spin-offs need to be kid-friendly?
    • Whitta has expressed strong opinions about Star Wars over the years. What has he said? And do his views about Star Wars give you any insight about what he might do with a spin-off?
    • Whitta is clearly a big-time fan of Star Wars and has had a lot to say about it. Do you think this means his screenplay is more likely to capture the feel of Star Wars or do you think it makes it more likely that his screenplay won't seem new and different enough?

The Revanchist likes this.
  25. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    Have you ever taken a peek at the collective works of Irvin Kershner and Richard Marquand before they made ESB and RotJ respectively? They were nothing grand to brag about either.

And quit moping on about his reaction to the SE's and the PT. EVERY single worthy employer googles prospective employees and checks their social media goings on. You can bet that Kathleen Kennedy and folks vetted this dude and found that he has something that they think that he can contribute. They are not going to be careless about their new $3 billion dollar baby. That doesn't mean that everything will be golden, but it does mean that they will at least put their best effort forward to bring quality.

Six likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.