main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion What do you think of Gary Whitta being hired as screenwriter for the first spin-off?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Darth Nerdling, Jun 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Good news everyone... the separate Spin-Offs forum is coming soon.

darth ladnar likes this.
  2. Padme's Love Slave

Padme's Love Slave Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 16, 2013
    One day you bash the prequels. The next day your name is on After Earth. Karma. lol

3. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Liked Book of Eli, haven't seen After Earth, don't care about his forum comments.

4. Summers1913

Summers1913 Jedi Knight star 3

May 12, 2014
    The only thing I have seen of his work is Book of Eli. And I really enjoyed that. If he is doing the Boba Fett movie I hope it has the same feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mortimer Snerd likes this.
  5. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    But will it have a cameo by Tom Waits? If it does....oh man....nerdgasm.....

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  6. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Screenwriters are a dime a dozen, and Whitta might make it as far as Arndt. He's a very, very mediocre choice with thoroughly moderne sensibilities. Can't Marvel snap him up or something?

Love Gareth, though.

darth ladnar, dolphin and EternalHero like this.
  7. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999

This (regarding the Kershner/Marquand comment).

While I do have my reservations about Whitta, more so than any other director/writer linked to a SW movie, I am optimistic.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  8. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    I'm not familiar with him, so I'll just suppose he is a good writer for now. If he is a good writer and writes in the Original Trilogy setting, with little to no prequel references, I am fine. If he is good at what he does, and fits the Star Wars style, so be it!

With that said, if he uses this platform yo bash on the prequels, he will get on my nerves quick.

9. Zinnzade

Zinnzade Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 6, 2013
    Lots of far better writers out there available, that they shouldn't have to use someone who hates so many of the Star Wars movies.

FRAGWAGON, Acroyear and darth ladnar like this.
  10. Acroyear

Acroyear Jedi Master star 3

Mar 24, 2001
    Gary Whitta is a TERRIBLE choice. What was Kathleen Kennedy thinking?!? What was it on his resume that impressed her? I'm not impressed that he is a gamer/fanboy. He comes across as a complete hack. I hate to see SW be cheapened by some rank amateur like Whitta.

cwustudent likes this.
  11. Acroyear

Mar 24, 2001
    I'm sorry, there's nothing about Whitta to defend. Kersh and Marquand were much more talented than this Whitta hack.

darth ladnar likes this.
  12. Acroyear

Mar 24, 2001
    I'd rather that it not be a fanboy at all. If they chose Whitta because he was (or is) a fanboy, it was a dubious pick. What ever happened to talent and competence? I don't want Star Wars to be reduced to a video game style movie. I hope Kennedy will come to her senses and fire Whitta, but I know it won't happen. Maybe his screenplay will be rejected or rewritten by someone else. I want a strong story, memorable characters, witty dialogue, etc. Not endless garbage of Boba Fett flying around blowing things up.

13. Acroyear

Mar 24, 2001
    Mm.. he can be 'excited' all he wants. But his track record so far leaves much to be desired.

14. Acroyear

Mar 24, 2001
    Yeah, Whitta comes across as a snotty and petulant fan boy. He lacks class.

Grytpype likes this.
  15. Acroyear

Mar 24, 2001
    Star Wars shouldn't be put in the hands of someone like Whitta.

16. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Use the edit feature to avoid double, triple, quadruple, quintuple and sextuple posting please

[​IMG]

17. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    Yes, he is great as Jango.

I think the spinoffs will set in the ST era, and I never understood the disproportionate wild enthusiam for the Boba in TESB, but if they came up with a really clever idea of how Boba survived RotJ, I'd be all for it because Morrison is old to play a pre-RotJ Boba and I'd rather he wasn't in the helmet the whole time with a good actor like Morrison in the role.

As to Whitta, I don't like the thoughts of a hater been involved a Star Wars project, though he isn't the only one, and I don't like that he tried to cover it up - and did it badly which makes him not very imaginative in that.

However, I assume the idea he pitched (if that was how it was done) must have impressed Kathleen Kennedy and others.

It must have been some pitch though because BOok of Eli and AfterEarth weren't very interesting.

18. mratm23

mratm23 Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2014

19. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

Nope.

Those are the only ideas people have come up with "so far".

I wonder if Lucasfilm paired Edwards and Whitta, or if they meet and teamed up themselves to approach Lucasfilm.

Does anyone know if Lucasfilm sent out word that they were looking for writers and directors or if they are doing the approaching to people they are interested in?

20. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

I think it is going to take a lot more than him being excited.

He can have all the opinions he likes but trying to cover up the things he has said shows a lack integrity - not necessary to writing a good story, I suppose.

We can't judge him on his "inexperiance" - screenwriters can often be very busy and have a lot of work done on scripts but the rules of screenwriting credits can mean they don't get the credit.

However, those two movies were not very good at all.

21. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I posted that way back when people were complaining that he didn't like the PT. As long as he is enthusiastic for his movie I am fine with whatever his opinions on the original six movies.

22. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

Yes, but the point remains the same - it takes more than enthusiasm and excitement

23. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Well I am assuming that he would do a plot he liked. If he didn't like it then we have problems. Till we know more I'm not that worried.
    I don't know about his previous movies so[face_dunno]?

24. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

That would explain why you aren't worried

at the dame time though Kathleen Kennedy did hire him or at least had enough say that she could have stopped it so there must be something there

25. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe he had a good idea or liked their idea? Keeping an open mind here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.