main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What Do You Think of General Grievous?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Garth Maul, Jun 1, 2005.

?

What Do You Think of General Grievous?

Poll closed Mar 23, 2012.
  1. He is uber-cool. I wish there was more of the General!

35.4%
  2. He was a great minor villain.

36.7%
  3. He was a good minor villain.

15.2%
  4. He was okay, his personality bugged me.

5.1%
  5. He was okay, his voice bugged me.

5.1%
  6. He was okay, his looks bugged me.

2.5%
  7. His eyes were gross and dripped pus...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
  2. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    As most of you, I loved the General, I wished we had more scenes with him, maybe killing a minor Jedi or two.

He continued the long line of great and distinct SW villains and proved a worthy opponent for General Kenobi.

The CG was unbelievable, the best I've ever seen.

3. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I have a friend who's an animator and it took her several minutes to decide that he was true CG vs. some other kinds of techniques. Now that's CG!

Anyway, I thought he was great... cyborg/alien vampire escape artist with a grand, European flair and a chronic cough. He was a far less spooky than I thought he would be but it worked very well.

4. qui_gon_jinn_83

qui_gon_jinn_83 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 18, 2002
    Voted for the first option.
    I had expected something more "serious", but I love that they made him so "cartoony". He's such a coward too! It's great.

And I just really, really love the voice acting.

"General Kenobi! Hahahaha... You are a bold one!"

5. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    He is a good minor baddy. I wouldn't say he is great, but I don't mind him.

-Seldon

6. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    Blah, he didn't win me over until Utapau.

I really hated his stupid cough. I realize what happened to him in the cartoons, but why that had to carry over into the film is beyond me. The first time I saw ROTS, I laughed every time he coughed and it killed at attempt at seriousness. I hated his voice too, he was hard to understand.

He was basically everything I expected up until Utapu: annoying and campy. HOWEVER everything he did on Utapau was amazing, I only really hated him on the Invisible Hand.

He looked great, too. And he had cool lines,if only the voice wasn't so annoying to me.

Still, I can't say I'm upset that he had such a short role..

7. Worst_Jedi_Ever

Worst_Jedi_Ever Jedi Master star 1

Jan 13, 2004
    From all the pics I saw of him, I was expecting a MUCH more meancing "evil mastermind" type--then again, that's what you get for being even minorly spoiled!

I too was a little bit put off by his hunched-over walking and cough at first, but he's grown on me since. I think he fits the the Jabba the Hutt role perfectly--secondary villain with a unique personality, and a contrast to the main villain.

Also, did anybody pick up on the fact that if you were totally unspoiled and also stayed away from the EU, you would have had NO idea that this shuffling, almost elderly-seeming, cyborg could fight at all (much less use a lightsaber) until the confrontation on Utapau? Sure, you'd know he collects lightsabers, but would have no inkling that he'd use one, let alone four.

Did anybody have this experience? If so, were you blown away? Having seen the CW cartoons and read LoE, I was waiting the whole film to see him whip out the multiple sabers; I would guess you'd be quite shocked if you didn't already know it was going to happen.

8. leelee

leelee Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 4, 2003
    I think that he was really awesome! Man when he was twirling her four sabers I thought I was going to pee my pants it was so cool! I would have liked to see more of him, so let's hope he gets a deleted scene on the DVD!

9. Obi-Wan's Apparition

Obi-Wan's Apparition Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 10, 2000
    He was awesome and I wasn't disappointed at all. The CG was the best I've ever seen.

10. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    Uber-cool minor villain (continuing in the tradition of Darth Maul, Jango Fett and Boba Fett). I enjoyed watching him and thought the cgi was terrific. He was great in the time he was given, but ROTS had so much going on that any more might have been too much.

I actually thought he fit the separatists perfectly because he was menacing but not too scary. Anakin and Obi-Wan were cocky around him (understandable when you figure Anakin had just put in a "chosen one" performance against Count Dooku). Grievous would probably have put up a better fight if Mace hadn't crushed his chest, but I liked his persistent bluster and pompous personality, classic cartoon bad-guy stuff.

And he has a great death scene.

11. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    Great minor mustache twirler

Old school through & through.

- O_F

12. Mr. P

Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 1, 2000
    Just saw the movie again yesterday, and couldn't stop thinking - how awesome is grievous!! He is hilarious, not to serious but enough that you can tell he is someone to reckon with.

Mr. P

13. Darth_Zoo

Darth_Zoo Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    He was pretty underwhelming to me.

I imagined he'd be pretty hardcore and scary like his image and clone wars spot portrays. In actuality he was just hard to understand and pretty useless overall. He didn't kill or do anything haha (in the movies, now). Just sort of globe trotted and bang.

O~well I think my expectations were very high for him. I didn't have any for Jango Fett and thought he was really cool so I figured GG would top that.

14. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    I went w/ "He was a good minor villain." I think I was definetly underwhelmed about him from what I saw in cwc.

15. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    I thought we was a good minor villan. However in ROTS compared to Clone Wars cartoons and LOE I was dissapointed, he sorta got beat down like a punk. It did however provide a nice little side quest for the movie.

16. beedubew

beedubew Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 25, 2002
    I would've liked something more negative to choose from in the polls. I didn't care for his internal organs at all. Perhaps I don't understand why he wasn't simply 100% droid and that is why it was a bit ruined for me. It would also explain why this thing (I thought was a droid) was coughing all the time. I voted for his looks bugged me.

My opinion is open to change on this [unlike most other things...;) ] once I read some other thoughts on him in this thread.

Bee

17. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I think expectations play a huge roll. A lot of peolpe expected a darker, more menacin villain.
    Instead he was a more cartoonish moustache twirler but in that way I thought he was great.
    One reason that SW was a hit in the first place, and a reason it endured, is that it didn't take everything so seriously.

18. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    We haven't really had the "mustache-twirler" in the PT so far. And I enjoyed that.

Grievous would have been too much like Darth Maul if he was simply deadly evil badass.

I love when he's coughing hard on his Utapau entrance and has this huge hacking cough right when he answers the communication from Sidious.[face_laugh] Then smoothly, right into the bow.

He's always polite, I'll give him that.

19. CodeName_Targeter

CodeName_Targeter Jedi Master star 5

Nov 7, 2003
    But so uncivilized. ;) :p

20. Cow_Girl

Cow_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 15, 2001
    He didn't live up to my expectations, I thought that he had the potential to be much cooler than he was. I did not like his Voice and constant hacking

Oh! and those that referred to him as a "Mustache Twirler" Will love this gif! :D

[image=http://www.petridish.net/pics/17304/0000ee5z.gif]

21. beedubew

beedubew Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 25, 2002
    Cow_Girl, that is great!! very clever!

22. DarthBabe

DarthBabe Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 18, 2002
    He was a great minor villian. I liked him more than Dooku. But I wonder why does he cough all the time? He always sounds like he's on the verge of an asthma attack...

23. JediPrincessKas

JediPrincessKas Jedi Master star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I thought he was really cool. I didn't really have any expectations for him, so there wasn't really any way to be disapointed. I'd have loved to see more from him.

24. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    He was OK. Didn't love him, didn't hate him. If he had a better voice he could have been top notch. Also, it would have been good if he had killed a Jedi or two in the film to establish how tough he is.

I will say this, though - after watching him in Clone Wars, I was afraid that the cartoon would show him being more crazy with the sabers than the movie would. But give George credit, when Grievous started twirling those sabers it blew the cartoon away.

Overall, though, I liked the Clone Wars version of him better.

25. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    I thought he was great. I thought the voice was perfect. Don't know why but I just loved how he delivered most of his lines. Loved the way he talked so tough but kept running away. Launching the escape pods was great;you could tell he was just dripping with evil glee.

Cool design, menacing with just a touch of camp...100% Star Wars.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.