main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What Do You Think of General Grievous?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Garth Maul, Jun 1, 2005.

?

What Do You Think of General Grievous?

Poll closed Mar 23, 2012.
  1. He is uber-cool. I wish there was more of the General!

35.4%
  2. He was a great minor villain.

36.7%
  3. He was a good minor villain.

15.2%
  4. He was okay, his personality bugged me.

5.1%
  5. He was okay, his voice bugged me.

5.1%
  6. He was okay, his looks bugged me.

2.5%
  7. His eyes were gross and dripped pus...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arrowheadpodracer

arrowheadpodracer Jedi Master star 5

Apr 9, 2002
    uber cool. I bought the action figure and the Unleashed figure.
    I wish there was more of him in the movie.

2. origjedi

origjedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2001
    I liked him. Didn't think he was "great" but an enjoyable character nonetheless. I like the "moustache twirler" description.

Some of my family asked why he coughed so much, I related it to classic monsters. There was always something off or wrong about them. A limp, missing eye, 3 arms, etc. Distinguishes him from the other bad guys. Especially wielding four lightsabers!

3. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    I didn't like the voice. They should've hired an actor. The way he says "Sidious' makes me cringe, and not in a good way. I described him elsewhere as "too 'mwuhahaha!'", but "moustache-twirling" is a better term. Some like it, some don't. I guess I just had different expectations from the EU material.

And for those that don't know, the whole cough thing started as a joke with George coughing into a microphone, or something like that. (I think it was posted on TOS a few days ago.) I'm sure the chest-crushing thing was added later to explain why he does it.

4. generalgreivous4

generalgreivous4 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 5, 2005
    He was a really cool villian, and thought he was great.

Through I agree with Obi-Wan, comparing to the concept art, he is a little shorter than expected...

5. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Between "Uber-Cool" and "Great Minor Villain".

I really liked the way he looked and moved, and I loved the voice. "Ahhtahhk!"

6. Lexi

Lexi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    Great minor villain, but, like someone else here said, I would have liked to see him kill a Jedi. I thought he was scarier in Clone Wars.

7. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    I liked him as much as every other secondary villain. I just wish his saber fight was longer.
    It's like, 'Four sabers! Wow! OMG! He spinning them awesome! This is gonna be great! This is- It's over???'

8. Spare_Parts

Spare_Parts Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002
    I didn?t know anything about Grevious and had no expectations for him. I thought he was uber cool.

For a minor villain he had good memorable lines, amazing CGI, unique personality and pretty cool death scene.

9. TurnedJedi

TurnedJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 7, 2002
    I liked him. He was fun, with his coughing and his coward behaviour. But he wasn't used much, yet I don't want him to have been given more screen time. What he got was enough for the purpose he was suppose to serve.

10. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    I think he was a great minor villain. Served his purpose well and was in some entertaining scenes.

11. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I have really mixed feelings.

At first, I was highly skeptical of Grevious, and didn't really like the idea when I'd first heard about it. But by Season 3 of Clone Wars, I'd really fallen in love with Tartakovsky's interpretation of the character. He was more athletic than anyone since Maul, and fought with the deadly, graceful athletics of a gazelle. There was a positively simian character to the way he patterned his attacks, and I was just eating it up. He'd proved himself after all--a really good fighter and convincing enough tactician that was fun to watch in battle, while he still had some weaknesses.

Then came EPIII. I was deeply disappoint. He'd seemed to have lost of all of his grace and rhythm. He just spun lightsabers around, and seemed like a completely ineffective idiot. They even made him completely tactless and ignorant in his position as a leader. Why, of all things, would you think it would be a good idea to threaten the leaders of a fraying alliance with death? Wouldn't that just rush them further out the door?

I also happened to like his voice in Clone Wars better. So yeah, Tartakovsky's interpretation of the character really spoiled me, and left me really disappointed. But one of my larger criticisms is that the character seemed entirely unnecessary in EPIII. He didn't do anything that someone else already in the movie couldn't have.

12. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    I didn't think Grievous was anything special. He was just a snivelling middleman between the Separatists and Sidious, he was too easily felled, and all in all he was little more than flashy eye candy. The novelization sheds a bit more light on his character, such as his interactions with Dooku and Sidious.

I'd almost say he's the evil Jar Jar of Episode III. He's none too bright, he speaks funny English, and provides some badly needed humor in the film.

13. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    After seeing Revenge of the Sith on opening night, I remember turning to my girlfriend and saying, "I think that Grievous was cooler than Darth Maul and Jango Fett combined."

What can I say, I've always loved the over-the-top campy villian, and the General was just that. I loved the voice, I loved the walk, and I especially loved the cough (which is something I didn't know about until I'd seen the film). I really wished that we would have seen and heard more of him throughout the film.

:cool: Mace Windy,
    revenge of the wind!

14. Ana_Labris

Ana_Labris Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    I loved how over the top he is, and the whole cough + accent and giggling(*) *gggg* Adorable! He went out like a punk tho.

(*) And I was someone who was expecting a stupid and horrible Jedi-killing villian who'd take Anakin's place as main 'butcher' of the order. So yes, that means a lot coming from me : ))

15. leelee

leelee Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 4, 2003
    Yeah I really love the part where he's laughing and coughing too

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.