main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit What do you think of Jaina Solo (Fel) as a character?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Khalia Octa, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Khalia Octa

Khalia Octa Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 2018
    I, personally, have always loved Jaina. She is very relatable to myself, as a strong, spunky, young woman. But I've never really tried out forums or reaching out into the community, (until like yesterday xD) so I've never known what other people think of her. ​

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Best Star Wars character -- but one the books badly mishandled, especially in the late EU.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  3. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Jaina was fantastic in the NJO. She was a strong, independent young woman who kicked ass and wasn't afraid to tell people exactly how she felt. She was sarcastic and snarky in a way that was always in pursuit of what she knew was right. Characters like that always tend to become my favourites --- Nynaeve in Wheel of Time is a pretty good analogue. I loved both Jaina and Nynaeve. Neither of them put up with men's ****. Jaina was a well-rounded character in the NJO who played a variety of roles and shone in every one of them.

Then came Legacy of the Force, which scratched its head about what Jaina could possibly do in it for the first five books. She did nothing in Betrayal, was nearly left out of Traviss's first two books entirely, and somehow played a decently-sized role in both Tempest and Exile without having anything to do. It wasn't until the authors put together the Alema-hunting team that she had any kind of focus, and that was in Book six. But even that was brilliant compared to Fate of the Jedi, which didn't have anything for her to do for the entire damn series. Seriously, she did nothing more than sit on Jag's lap for the first like seven books. And don't get me started on the whole "Sword of the Jedi" thing, which meant nothing to nobody and was desperately grasped at by authors who had absolutely nothing else for the character.

4. Khalia Octa

Jun 23, 2018
    Yes, they could have elaborated a heap more on her role as the SotJ. If they were able to start/complete/publish the series SotJ, it may have been explained more then, but sadly that won't be happening.

kalzeth and Tython Awakening like this.
  5. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    Boring and **** tbh. Same as all the Solo children (except Jacen briefly). Maybe she got too Denning'd

6. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    I thought she was awesome and also happens to be one of my favorite black series figures.

7. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I loved Jaina as a character but I feel like the fate envisioned for her (Empress) was at odds with everything we knew about her.

Khalia Octa likes this.
  8. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Jaina is defenetly one of my favourite SW characters and alongside Jacen and Tenel Ka one of my personal SW main characters opposed to the big three.
    Though I agree with some of the above statements that Jaina was mishandeled in the post NJO EU.

9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    What do people think, should have been done with Jaina after the NJO series?

10. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Oh, I have an idea, but it'll be controversial.

First of all, having her younger brother slaughtered like a womprat and having to have to kill her own twin after he went mad would severely damage anyone mentally and emotionally.

That having been said, here's where I saw Jaina (and wish LFL saw her a few years ago). It is a period of renewal, where the Galactic Alliance has returned to the name the New Republic and moved their capital to Hosnian Prime as a sign of future positive change. Han has had the Millennium Falcon stolen, but he doesn't care as he recently miraculously found an exiled Chewie alive on a forgotten Yuuzhan Vong prison world. This is detailed in a final prose/comic book work before Episode 7.

in early 44 ABY, Jaina journeys with her Uncle Luke, cousin Ben Skywalker, and husband Jag on an archaeological research journey to the lost Sith Temple of Darth Plagueis.

There, the group discovers the deceased Plagueis' secret from his records: Using the Dark Side, Darth Plagueis could drain the life from a healthy Force sensitive individual and transfer it to a sick or injured person, regenerating that person's cells to prevent them from dying at the cost of the healthy Force sensitive being sacrificed. Palpatine had no knowledge of this temple, and had killed Plagueis before learning this power himself. Greatly disturbed, Luke tells the group that this knowledge must never be spread as the Jedi have no Light Side defense against it (any nearby Jedi can be drained at the whim of a darksider) and they will never speak of this knowledge again.

Leaving the temple, Jag runs into a Sith trap that fatally wounds him. Desperate to save her husband, Jaina uses Plagueis' knowledge to drain the life from Ben Skywalker, killing him and restoring Jag before a horrified Luke can stop her.

Jag, realizing his life was saved at the cost of Ben's, denounces Jaina as a murderer. Luke, horrified at watching his son die in agony, resists the dark side urge to cut Jaina down, but tells her that by Jedi and New Republic law she must return to the known galaxy where she will definitely face life in prison for Ben's murder.

However, at the last minute, not wanting to see his niece's life wasted in prison despite her crime, Luke tells her that this will only happen if he can "catch" her, subtly and nonverbally telling her to flee and live in peace and exile but never to return to the Republic, as she will be arrested.

In tears, Jaina flees into the Unknown Regions, while Jag returns to the Imperial Remnant and has his marriage to Jaina annulled. A broken Luke calls his Jedi Order together and, trying to spare them the same agonizing fate as Ben (the Jedi have no defense against the Plagueis draining power if anyone used it) orders the Order to disband immediately, with all members returning to civilian life.

Han and Leia angrily demand answers about what happened to Jaina, but Luke flees to the first Jedi Temple to try to research a way to counter Plagueis' power, and if life can be preserved without cost to another. In the Unknown Regions, a broken and demoralized Jaina is recruited by Snoke into his up-til-now unknown government based on the Old Empire: The First Order. Jaina vows revenge on a galaxy that took everything that mattered away, and renames herself Kira Ren.

And thus we have the premise of The Force Awakens, taking place in 44 ABY to match actor ages, EU compliant and released to massive success without alienating the EU fan base (with only Legacy decanonized). Disney realized that they could make a general audience friendly movie that tied to the EU without required reading of any novels (vague references to the Vong Wars will add depth the way mentions of the Clone Wars did in the OT), and the movie is a big hit. At least, in my imaginary 2015 anyway.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  11. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Well not turn established characters into villians for no reason other than shock value and lacking creativity. I would have prefered it if they had just kept Jaina with Jacen and the other Jedi of their generation and made then the main characters instead of just henchmen for the big three. Have them go through their own stories and adventures. Have Jacen and Jaina play of of each other with their different worldviews and learn from it. Give Jaina actually something to do on her own other than being Lukes go to assassin and worry which boy to choose for more than ten years.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    As the internet lingo goes these days: "I'll fight you."

I assume by fight people mean "argue civilly but with passion" but there you go.

13. Khalia Octa

Jun 23, 2018
    Tbh, I don't really know. I've never been a writer or anything (not that that means I can't think up ideas). In my opinion, FotJ and LotJ weren't too bad, but if they were tweaked so that Jaina's character was more indepth, rather than assuming people had read the NJO series.

14. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    Absolutely loved Jaina in the NJO, it's a real bummer that they couldn't be bothered figure out anything meaningful to do with her post NJO.
    The Jedi allready followed Luke like the IKs follow the Empress, and they allready were controling who got put into positions of power. Grand Master (I'm assuming) Jaina deciding that the Galaxy would be better off with the Jedi running things directly seems like a pretty logical extension of the trajectory the Jedi were allready on to me.

kalzeth and Khalia Octa like this.
  15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, so specifically we have this constant dilemma with the Jedi -- do the Jedi follow the will of the Force and stay out of politics or do they serve the public good as the guardians of peace and justice in the Republic? It was a dilemma the Old Jedi Order never mastered either and this led to their downfall. But that wasn't the first time -- we saw it come up again and again, as with Revan during the Mandalorian Wars.

So rightly, this question came back up again during the Vong war. The Jedi had their factions -- initially it was just Kyp's splinter group advocating action and Luke as the grand master (not yet in name) advocating restraint. Eventually this sort of morphed into a harder split between the Kenth Hamner style Jedi and the Luke style Jedi (if I'm remembering correctly, it's been a LONG time).

Jaina was never a member of Kyp's faction and memorably got misled by him. But she was the Sword of the Jedi, and she was actively involved in public affairs as a member of the NR military. So it made sense for her to be a part of that public Jedi faction, as opposed to the more monasterial Luke faction.

I see the Imperial Knights as a schismatic Jedi sect -- not exactly a hostile schism, but a definite split from the traditional order. And it makes sense for Jaina, especially as she gets involved with Jag and his whole dealio, to become the leader of that group of Jedi and to really establish Imperial Knight traditions. But she wasn't just a knight, she was the empress too.

It all made natural sense to me -- unfortunately though it didn't seem as if the books were that keen on connecting the dots. But the dots were still there, waiting.

16. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Basically, I never jived with the "redemption of the Empire."

I also think the Jedi were not interested in ever ruling anyone.

17. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Jaina was never my favorite of the Solo children but she wasn't a bad character by any means. I find it ironic that princess leia-hero of the rebellion was the mother of the first Fel empress.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I mean that's a different story entirely -- when they first announced the Legacy comics I wasn't too keen on the notion myself. It seemed like fanservice and whitewashing the Empire, which is not great.

But then they won me over. :)

The EU gave us 400 years of Jedi chancellors, so I'm pretty sure that the Jedi ended up being pretty comfortable running things :p

Well, both Leia and Jaina are their own people and not really defined by their relationship to others, no? Because one could easily say the daughter of Darth Vader would make a fitting mother to an empress, but that's sort of ignoring the role that different personal choices and development had in all that.

Besides, the other Solo twin became an actual Sith Lord, so. y'know.

kalzeth likes this.
  19. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    The jedi ruled during a period of tremendous crisis and the near collapse of galactic civilization. The New Sith wars especially the last 400 years nearly destroyed both the jedi and the republic.

kalzeth likes this.
  20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    If the claim is that Jedi don't rule, the above is just rationalization.

Anyway, I think the Jedi-as-monks and Jedi-as-knights dichotomy was very real and Legacy just finally did something with it. :)

As far as ruling goes, the Fels had this notional idea of ruling as a public service -- very Arthurian and idealistic. Subject to criticism (especially by partisans of the Galactic Alliance) sure, but it's a real distinction from the Sith notion of rule.

Mia Mesharad, kalzeth and Daneira like this.
  21. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I feel obligated to bring up the example of Roan Fel. A Fel who fell from this righteous path, growing corrupt with entitlement and impatience, so much that he tried to use a bioweapon on the most heavily populated planet in the Galaxy. Not all of the Emperors in the Fel Line were noble idealists.

22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    You might say he failed to live up to an ideal, yes. Reality tends to be a little messier than ideals allow for. I said what I said very intentionally.

Something John Ostrander once said -- and I have to paraphrase him instead of quote him here because I can't remember the exact wording -- is to remember that they're still Imperials, still authoritarians. They don't believe in democracy or any of that stuff.

So even the most ideal Fel emperor may not in fact, be ideal. ;)

Darth_Duck, Mia Mesharad and kalzeth like this.
  23. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I wonder if Jaina had anything to do with the Imperial mission and victory without war programs.

24. SkywalkerShine

SkywalkerShine Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2007
    That would be something. As for me thinking about Jaina as a character, I would have liked to hang out with her. She's intelligent, doesn't take mess from anyone, and would do anything to help her loved ones. However, I felt really bad for her due to the loss of Anakin and her killing her twin brother. At that point, she truly needed peace. She and others around her went through a lot...

kalzeth likes this.
  25. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    One thing I didn't like about Jaina(or how the writers handled the issue) was her killing Jacen. There should have been far deeper psychological repercussions for this than what was shown in FOTJ.