main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit What do you think of Jaina Solo (Fel) as a character?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Khalia Octa, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I'm not sure ironic is strong enough of a word.

"I don't believe in democracy or freedom but order through enlightened tyranny."

2. SkywalkerShine

SkywalkerShine Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2007
    There should be a "What If Jaina redeemed Jacen" from Star Wars Theory. That would be interesting.

But yeah, Jaina killing Jacen always bothered me too. Sure the guy did really bad things, but he was still her brother. I'm pretty sure there could have been a way to help him. If Darth Vader who terrorized worlds and Kyp Durron can be redeemed, why can't Jacen?

At that point, Jaina's actions always bothered me.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  3. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I think they killed Jacen because they didn't want to reiterate the usual story.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  4. SkywalkerShine

Aug 16, 2007
    Oh yeah, that's true. But on the bright side, he did reach out to warn Tenel Ka to escape through the Force.

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  5. kalzeth

kalzeth Jedi Master star 3

Aug 26, 2017
    I am okay with Jaina through legacy. Maybe Traviss could have made her significantly stronger and not so lost that Fett had to basically show her everything about fighting.

A significant change in FOTJ could have been Ben and Jaina going looking for signs of Jacen. Maybe here we see what it means to be sword of the Jedi as he is the one to take down Abeloth. Meanwhile Luke recovers from what happened to caedus on coruscant and the schism occurs with him there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    Khalia Octa and SkywalkerShine like this.
  6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    When Invincible was about to be released, I remember hoping that Jacen would stay alive but stay unredeemed.
    So that in the next series we might have gotten something similar to TOTJ Redemption.
    Or Jacen stayed evil and then Allana would be groomed as the next hope.

And then it all fell flat.

SkywalkerShine and kalzeth like this.
  7. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Darths Maul, Tyranus and Sidious were all beyond redemption. Vader was the exception, not the rule. Caedus was incapable of turning from his dark path. He was zealous in his pursuit of what he thought was a noble goal. There was no redemption by any means for Darth Caedus.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

8. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    All the same(and I personally believe Caedus redeemability can be argued either way) Jaina realistically should have had deep psychological repercussions for killing her twin. FOTJ did not show this.

9. SkywalkerShine

Aug 16, 2007
    Understandable. You're definitely right. I didn't think about that. Thank you for pointing that out.
    My apologies. As you can see, I'm not too bright when it comes to conversations like these. ^_^;

Oh yeah! I agree on that. That sort of situation can mess up a person...

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  10. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    It would have been interesting to see how THe Sword of the Jedi series would have gone. Would Jaina truly of been the star of the series with the big 3 having little involvement. Or would Luke, Han, and Leia still been the key characters of the series? It was obvious by the last few years of the EU that they weren't willing to let go of the marketing prowess that the OT characters had. Would they have finally done that with SOTJ and allow the marketing to be wrapped around a pure EU character that many Star Wars fans didn't know of or would it have been more of the same?

11. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Luke Skywalker's 3rd Lesson from Episode 8: Darths Maul, Tyranus and Sidious were all beyond redemption. Vader was the exception, not the rule. Kylo is incapable of turning from his dark path. He is zealous in his pursuit of what he thinks is a noble goal. There is no redemption by any means for Kylo Ren.

Rey: Oh ok, thanks Luke. I'm glad I stayed for that final 3rd lesson instead of running off like I initially planned. :p

12. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    The way I see it, it wouldn't have been Del Rey's "next NJO" flagship line like LOTF or FOTJ. It was only supposed to be a trilogy, after all. There were always plenty of book series about EU characters - the Reaves books, Zahn's Thrawn/Mara books that aren't Big Three heavy, Death Troopers/Red Harvest, all the Old Republic stuff, Karen Traviss' Mando/clone books, etc.

SkywalkerShine, kalzeth and sidv88 like this.
  13. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    You joke, but that's actually a pretty valid lesson. Imagine if Rey had learned that lesson before racing off to the Supremacy.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

SkywalkerShine and sidv88 like this.
  14. Khalia Octa

Khalia Octa Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 2018
    I like this idea.

Also, yes, she would have been mentally unstable with the recent loss of her younger brother and then the "murder" of Jacen.

SkywalkerShine and kalzeth like this.
  15. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Snoke...wouldn't have died?

Voltron64 likes this.
  16. SkywalkerShine

Aug 16, 2007
    It would've been awesome for Jaina to have an official apprentice of her own. I know she kinda had Danni as an apprentice, but to see an interaction with her and an apprentice would've been cool. :)

Khalia Octa likes this.
  17. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    The Jedi mandate is to preserve life, not take it, unless in self-defense. Even Snoke's. Besides, killing Snoke might just have made things worse anyway.

It's like the whole dilemma of killing the evil Gollum in Lord of the Rings. Because Frodo and Bilbo didn't do it, it inadvertently saved Middle-Earth.

18. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I recall Crucible was very much marketed as the Big Three's retirement. I think SOTJ would be focused on Jaina with the Big Three having likely minor roles or appearing maybe at the end and beginning of the trilogy.

Denning did say something about them having another trilogy planned so I don't know what the post crucible EU would have looked like if there was no buyout.

kalzeth and SkywalkerShine like this.
  19. Khalia Octa

Khalia Octa Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 2018
    YES @SkywalkerShine !!! This would have been awesome!!!

SkywalkerShine likes this.
  20. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Step One: **** the Legacy comics.

Nom von Anor likes this.
  21. SkywalkerShine

Aug 16, 2007
    For sure!!! Man, that would've been awesome. But hey, there's always fanfics. :p

I take it you don't like the Legacy comics? ^_^;

Khalia Octa likes this.
  22. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Oh and you know what the worst part of Jaina post-NJO was? That the authors regressed her character to be completely defined by her love life. "Will she or won't she! Who will she choose? Stay tuned for next week's episode of The Bachelorette!" And you could even tell how clueless the people behind the series were, as Denning literally said at a con during LOTF's run "I like her and Zekk better, and I'm writing the last book, so nyah-nyah Aaron!" (some paraphrasing has been done, but that was seriously the gist).

Like yeah she had romance in the NJO but it wasn't the focal point of her character, it was just something that happened to her because it happens to every hero in adventure fiction. And then at the end of the series she basically said to Jag "I can't come back to Csilla with you. Maybe we have a future together and maybe not." I'm really not sure how later authors took that as a cue to write her as a character in Sweet Valley High.

23. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    The whole "Jaina needs to train with the Mandos to learn how to kill Jacen" idea was such a big facepalm, and a clear manipulation to try and shoehorn big bad cool Mandos into the story in an important role

Oh god yes I hated that so much. Galaxy-affecting **** is going on and her being engaged or not is such a huge concern to her and her friends/family? Give me a break, that's not the character from NJO

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  24. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Don't forget this. Paraphrasing as well.

25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, no, no, no, no - I'm a big fan of the Legacy comics, but everything I've heard says Troy Denning certainly wasn't.

With Krayt turning up in Apocalypse, had the books continued Denning might well have been able to render them a 'alternate timeline'.