main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit What do you think of Jaina Solo (Fel) as a character?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Khalia Octa, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Would have been hard to reconcile anyway.
    Though, @Sinrebirth would be up for the challenge.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  2. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I find it hard to believe that denning as much influence as he apparently had in the writer's room would be to render legacy a different timeline or something to that effect.

Surely Lucasfilm's Holocron keepers(the sort of prelude to today's story group) such as Leland Chee, Sue Rostoni, and Shelly Shapiro-would have intervened to prevent that sort of an issue?

SkywalkerShine and kalzeth like this.
  3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, if that was so why allow Krayt to turn up early in Apocalypse?

kalzeth likes this.
  4. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Didn't legacy war come out around the same time? So Apocalypse worked well marketing TCW, Legacy and the post NJO together.

As for Krayt-he didn't reveal himself though he did tell Luke that he was of a Sith group Luke didn't know of.

Even in Ascension-the one Sith were teased when the party went to Korriban(Luke, Jaina, Ben, Vestara IIRC)-with the one Sith hiding maybe a half a mile away in the tombs from where the heros were.

Lucasfilm editors did intervene when Denning broached his resurrect Anakin idea in Invincible(though he later said he wrote that as some sort of personal fanfiction designed to counter balance the dark and depressing end of the novel).

So there were some lines they would not allow Denning to cross(or any of the other writers).

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    kalzeth likes this.
  5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Still want that Inferno attempt to have created an alternate timeline where Anakin lived, ala A Destiny Altered fanfiction by An Origami Fish.

SkywalkerShine likes this.
  6. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    The best Inferno AU is Only Right by Adahn.

Well that's the best Star Wars fanfic ever(in my opinion).

7. SkywalkerShine

SkywalkerShine Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2007
    Totally agree! Best fanfic ever! :cool:

8. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Denning: "I think of those comics as one possible future."
    Canon: "Hi that's not how I work."

Honestly, the LOTF/FOTJ team's biggest mistake was worrying about Legacy at all. It was ninety years in the future --- the post-ROTJ novels could have kept doing their own thing for like sixty more in-universe years before starting to set it in motion. All they needed to do was have Skywalker and Solo-Fel babies be born within vaguely-defined periods of time, which of course they would have done anyway. Even the Felpire/Imperial Knights/Imperial Mission could have been saved until Jag was an old man, if they had wanted it that way.

Instead they played this weird game of flip-flop where Jaina gets engaged to Jag but then lol j/k she isn't anymore and whoops haha she is again, and Jag is the leader of the Empire for no reason and lulz gotcha he isn't anymore! And the GA is now ruled by a Triumvirate and haha we got you AGAIN suckers! We are so good at this!!!!1

Like seriously... what the hell was that? It wasn't clever misdirection --- it was awkward fumbling. Seriously, planning team: Calm down. Ninety. Years. Your hands are not a tenth as tied as you think they are.

9. SkywalkerShine

Aug 16, 2007
    Exactly! We haven't even gotten a chance to have a storyline for Allana as a teenager/adult!

Khalia Octa and kalzeth like this.
  10. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    That... was another thing they fumbled. Hurrying the babies into teenager/adult storylines. They skipped the Solo twins' twenties so that Ben could be old enough to have an arc in LOTF. Your twenties are such, such an important and defining period of your life, but that decade was flat-out skipped save for the three books of Dark Nest. The skip from The Unifying Force to The Joiner King I can kinda understand --- a bit of rest and relaxation after fighting and winning a galactic war is in order --- but I would have taken a three-year skip rather than the six they did. All we know about Jaina's twenties beyond Dark Nest is that she spent the first five years hunting some guy named Three-Eye and the next five... building ant colonies with Zekk? While Jacen spent the first five years studying abroad and the next five... ... being aloof? I dunno.

It was such wasted potential. They spend a whole series of kids' books on the twins' youth and a whole series of adults' books on their teenage years, developing them into the next generation of galactic heroes --- then you blink and suddenly they're thirty. They were yesterday's news and Ben was the new flavour of the month. It was short-sightedness that always bothered me, and I was shocked that they didn't get tired of Ben after LOTF and skip ahead eight years for FOTJ to fast-track Allana into being a teenage hero.

11. Khalia Octa

Khalia Octa Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 2018
    I kinda think that the Dark Nest Trilogy was confusing. Especially for Jaina's personality, I don't think she would just run off and get entranced by these bugs and become torn between two men. It's like she became addicted to the bug's minds or something.

12. Khalia Octa

Khalia Octa Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 2018
    Yes, this would have been great too see, if they did it well. And, Jaina could have been Allana's master! I think that would have been nice.

13. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I really wish there was a series set between DNT and LOTF.

We know next to nothing of what happened between 36 and 40 ABY.

Khalia Octa and SkywalkerShine like this.
  14. SkywalkerShine

Aug 16, 2007
    Now that you mentioned it, your twenties is an important part of your life. People want to see what new things you can do, how you've matured, and how you can handle certain situations. Yes, relaxation from a really tough war is important, but let's at least see what new adventures the young and old can be in. Star Wars is a big galaxy. I'm sure there are things our characters can do. :)

But yeah, I personally didn't like the time skip from late teens/early twenties to now thirties either.

Ohmygosh! I've always thought the exact same thing! Jaina being her niece's master. Just like Mara was to Jaina! It's the circle of life! Ahem.... ^_^;

Ain't that the truth, my friend.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    Khalia Octa and kalzeth like this.