main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What do you think of LOTR: TCG so far?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by BigPoppaJabba, Oct 24, 2001.

?

What do you think of LOTR: TCG so far?

Poll closed Nov 6, 2001.
  1. Hey, it looks great! I'm gonna giver it a go!

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. I might collect it out of interest!

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. I don't like it (gameplay, art etc.)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I'm not a fan of Tolkein

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigPoppaJabba

BigPoppaJabba Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    I think the game is great! The assignment phase it tricky though, working out who to assign companions to. I played two games and in each Frodo (or Sam) was overwhelmed at the Bridge or Site 6. (Both decks won a game each).

I believe that having three or four companions to defend Frodo outweighs the negative of adding more to the twilight pool. We're only talking one or 2 tokens. I am going to try a game where the gandalf deck starts with Gimli and Legolas.

Can't wait to pick up a few packs

BTW: I got a Nazgul as my rare! Yipeee

2. Artie-Deco

Artie-Deco Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2001
    No, don't start anyone but Gandalf! Too many events require you to spot Gandalf.

3. Ocelot_X

Ocelot_X Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 16, 2001
    Starting Legolas and Gimli isn't a bad idea for a different deck though, especially if you have the rare versions. I got lucky enough to get the rare Gimli in one of my starters. Since you start them, you only need one of the rares, you can heal with the uncommon verisons. Gimli is cool with his damage+1, and Legolas is good because starting an archer can be strong, especially against Moria (the deck most likely to overwhelm Frodo anyway), since just about all the Moria guys only have 1 Vitality. Getting your ringbearer overwhelmed is a serious threat though. When I play I rarely assign leftover minions to anyone but Frodo (or Sam). At least 3 Bounders and 2 Sams semm necessary, and Hobbit Sword, Boromir Son Of Denethor, and Noble Intentions are also important. The Hobbit stealth events that let you hide from battles or get a strength bonus are great for keeping the ringbearer alive too. But a whole lot of tose cards that let you add burdens to the ringbearer seem pretty unnecessary. Getting 10 burdens before Site 9 seems pretty tough (unless they bid an outlandish amount at the start), why not just kill him?

4. Ocelot_X

Ocelot_X Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 16, 2001
    Speaking of Gimli and Legolas, even though I think they work well together now, I hope that future sets introduce cards that emphasize using them together, since they become such good friends. Especially the sets about The Two Towers, where, if I recall properly, is when they really became friends. They're like the Han and Chewie of LotR, they need buddy cards!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.