main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What do you think of the all the actors in the PT?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Pogey, Apr 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Pogey

Darth_Pogey Jedi Master star 4

Apr 4, 2005
    With alot of topics on individual performances I wanted to make one where you just say your least and most favorite actors and stuff.I like Ewan McGregor, Liam Neeson, and Christopher Lee.

2. Philagape

Philagape Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2005
    It's hard to judge the acting because they all look like they're on a tight Lucas leash -- given weak dialogue and strictly directed

But the best are McDiarmid and Pernilla August

Worst: Liam Neeson. He phoned it in

3. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    hmm well for me they change with each film.
    I thought Mcgregor was terrible in TPM but was the saving grace on Clones and possibly the whole trilogy.

I will wait until RotS comes out before I pass judgment on Hayden. All newcombers deserve a second chance to the Lucas dialouge and directing style.

Pernalla August and Mcdairmid have been great.

Sam Jackson has simply been Sam Jackson with a lightsaber.

Chris Lee is a legend but he has only been onscreen for about 5 mins so its impossible to say.

As for Portman well the least said the better.

I do disagree with the above though I thought Liam Neeson as Qui-gon was the only good charachter in the film.

4. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    The acting was nothing spectacular in these films. Mediocre at best. Although there were some nice performances from Neeson in TPM, Ian McDiarmid throughout and McGregor in AOTC.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  5. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    They all do what they're supposed to do - a good job. Some of them are great, but most of them are "only" good. Just like the actors in the OT.

Hayden Christensen is my favorite actor in the PT. First of all, he plays my favorite character. Second, he does a bloody darn good job with it.
    I always believe in him. When he's in front of the camera, he is Anakin Skywalker. Pretty amazing, really, for such a young guy. He sure has talent.

Acting is experience
    /LM

6. Reverend_Duck

Reverend_Duck Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 20, 2005
    I didn't like Pernilla August's performance too much. Perhaps its because I'm a Swede myself, and therefore analyze it a lot more, but I wouldn't rate it above decent.

Ewan McGregor and Liam Neeson did great in TPM and AotC, and it'll be fun to see Ewan in RotS.

Natalie Portman and Hayden Christensen were not very convincing. Natalie often sounds like she's reading the lines off a paper, while Anakin sounds like that at times too, though I've read that this is because Darth Vader talks very formal and clearly. Whether or not this is true, I don't know.

I haven't thought very much about Ian McDiarmid's performance, but I'll probably appreciate it more as I watch the prequel trilogy on DVD after buying TPM and AotC last week, and even more later on when RotS premieres.

Finally, I think Ahmed Best did a great job as Jar Jar?a character that I like very much. Whether or not you like Jar Jar, however, don't you agree that Ahmed's performance, including body language, was fantastic?

7. Darth_Pogey

Apr 4, 2005
    I despise Jar Jar. But it was a pretty good performance.

8. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    I'm also Swedish. I think many Swedes have a problem with August's acting because of her accent. I don't think foreigners have any problems with it, but to us, it can be cringeworthy, because we think it sounds silly. Swedes are very critical towards themselves(and eachother), you see.
    I think she's great, though.

And I agree about Best. He and Jar Jar rule! :)

Jar Jar Binks - he is me
    /LM

9. Reverend_Duck

Reverend_Duck Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 20, 2005
    And I agree about Best. He and Jar Jar rule!

To put it short, he's the Best!

10. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    Hehehe :D

Word jokes - right on
    /LM

11. CrazySaber

CrazySaber Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 4, 2004
    Liam Neeson was good, Ewan was good, Hayden was good, and of course Ian was good. But I was very dissapointed with Samuel L. Jackson. I expected much better from him.

EDIT: Oh yeah and Christopher Lee was great, he has the best voice (besides JEJ of course)

12. R2-12point

R2-12point Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 12, 2002
    Ewan MacGregor is an excellent actor, although a bit lost in Menace.

Liam Neeson gives in Menace what is probably the best performance in any Star Wars film. Remarkable really.

Portman and Christensen are talented but not very flexible young stars. Both are likeable, beautiful, and have real screen presence, but like too many young American actors today, have especially poor command of their voice, diction and delivery. The trend is pandemic in American acting: they have good taps into their "souls", but, when denied that, are not very able to control their "instrument" (to use obnoxious Actor's Speak).

Portman's acting in Menace was good, I thought, but her turn in Clones was the most out of place in any Star Wars film. As for Christensen, he is gamely trying as a young actor with limited experience in an impossible role.

MacDiarmid is fine and professional, but not as stellar as many like to make out. It's a cool part.

Child-actor Jake Lloyd did not deserve the attacks he took, IMHO. The part, and those lines, were almost entirely unwelcome.

And then there's the animated characters and the minor roles. Almost without exception, Rob Coleman and his people have done bang-up jobs with their creations, easily beating the minor parts, which, true to Star Wars fashion in ALL the films, have been generally terrible and stilted.

13. Adm_Thrawn

Adm_Thrawn Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 19, 2004
    I'm glad Lucas decided to keep Ian McDiarmid as Palpatine.

14. Madcaplaughs

Madcaplaughs Jedi Master

May 7, 2004
    The actors and performances in the PT have been overwhelmingly positive in my opinion. I think many of the people on this board are extremely critical of these films. I watch them and have a good time. Does it really matter if a line is delivered a little flat or wooden? In any other movie it's okay.

Sorry for ranting:

I agree with the above post that the minor digital animated characters done by Rob Coleman and his team have been outstanding. Watto in particular stands out to me.

Best: Liam gave the best performance in the TPM.
    I feel that Hayden is unfairly attacked and did a great job in AOTC.
    Ewan's Obi-Wan is as good as Alec Guiness' Obi-Wan.
    I guess I'm in the minority with Natalie, but I have loved her performances in TPM, and AOTC.
    Ian deserves all the praise he gets on these boards. He is wonderful.
    Christopher Lee was fantastic.

Least: Jake Lloyd was adequate as Anakin. I think he got the job done. There are a few scenes where he is great.
    Sam Jackson came through in AOTC. I was expecting more from him in TPM when I heard he wouldd be in these films and did feel dissapointed he didn't make much of an impact.

15. BauconBatista

BauconBatista Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2004
    That may be the wisest thing ever said =D= I actually judge SW by what it WANTS TO BE instead of what I think it should be.

My favorite actors so far: Hayden, Ian, Liam and Ewan.

16. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    Ian is evil, Lee is simply menacing, Jackson is smoov, good Oz is, Portman is smokin', and Hayden is bombastic. :cool:

Oh, and Ewan McGregor makes me weak in the knees when he plays Obi-Wan. And I'm a dude. ;) :p

17. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    I've actually been fairly pleased with it thus far. I have a few issues with Jake Lloyd's performance here and there, but I think he nailed the character most of the time. I really liked Hayden's Anakin, though there were one or two scenes that I think should have been reshot. I liked Portman better in TPM than AOTC, but I don't her performances deserves the hate it garners from the fanbase. Ewan McGregor has just been good from the beginning, though his role in TPM was extremely restricted to responding to Neeson.

My opinion of the acting in the PT is actually the same as it is in the OT - the actors have a real feel for the character, but sometimes Lucas' direction seems to limit what could really be done.

18. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Please remember that in this forum, we discuss the movies and not the fans. Negative comments about other fans and JCers only serves to start fights and adds nothing of value to the conversation.

19. Darth_Pogey

Apr 4, 2005
    I can't believe my brother made this dumb topic. Don't tell him I was using his skreename

20. BareBodkin

BareBodkin Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2005
    Actors - great
    Direction - eh...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.