main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit What do you think of the forcesaber?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by StarWarsFan91, Apr 9, 2013.

1. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    So what do you think about the concept of the forcesaber, and its existence in DoTJ?

Do you mind basically having a "lightsaber" in an era, before the invention of lightsabers?

Would you have preferred if there were no forcesabers?

Personally i don't mind it. I like how there are differences with the lightsaber, such as not having any buttons, and being activated by the darkside, making it a weapon that sure wouldn't be used by the future jedi. It's also interesting to have a weapon that only force sensitives can use, unlike the lightsaber.

Though i wonder about forcesabers in the context of the force wars. I don't think the followers of bogan in that war used forcesabers, so perhaps the je'daii Order never learned how to build their own forcesabers.

2. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    The Forcesaber is somewhat annoying, and to be honest I would prefer if they hadn't been included in Dawn of the Jedi.

With that being said, I also have come to realize that they were probably an inevitable addition to the comic.

3. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Another Dawn of the Jedi thread! Huzzah!

[​IMG]

I think the Forcesaber is a great idea. The way it's ignited by concentrating on the dark side of the Force is cool in its own right, but having only one in the story and it not being the Je'daii's (with them awe-struck at it) is a neat twist on top of that. It really goes well with other primitive-yet-"new" Force powers seen in the series. The unfamiliarity with lightsabers is actually driven home by the Forcesabers seeming like the most significant part of Daegen Lok and Hawk's shared vision, the effect it had on those two characters, and the reaction of the Je'daii to the vision (unless something in Force Storm makes me wrong about that, I don't have that yet). I think if the Rakata could make the Star Forge they could make the Forcesaber, so the origins of the weapon work well too.

4. jfostrander01

jfostrander01 Writer: Dawn of the Jedi, Agent of the Empire star 3 VIP

Oct 26, 2001
    To Jan and myself, force sabers made sense. It was a given that later hyperdrives were derived from the Rakatasn force powered hyperdrives, so perhaps lightsabers were also derived from an earlier Rakatan force powered weapon. Lightsabers had to come from somewhere,. And there ARE significant differences between a forcesaber and a lightsaber, the biggest being that you have to use the dark side exclusively to power them. The swords harness aggressive feelings.

-- John

5. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    I can't really see a logical reason to be offended by forcesabers. But I also don't mind that K'Kruhk is in the Triumvirate.

6. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I don't mind forcesabers.

7. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    As long as they aren't LOL OMG BETTERER! than lightsabers, I'm cool with it and it's not exactly inconsistent with what we've seen in the EU. But I'm always leery of seeing new things like this in chronologically ancient EU, because of its tendency to romanticize the past.

8. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I like them a lot. They are a part of the "ultimate dark side weapons arsenal" to me. You can only use them if you channel the dark side-how cool is that ;)

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  9. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    For me, the Force sabers used by the Force Hounds are just some kind of advanced stage of the Lightsaber we know existed later on.
    I do not get why anyone suddenly would not like it. Lightsabers (and Force sabers) are part of SW.

10. Sable_Hart

Nov 28, 2009
    ?
    Dawn of the Jedi is set in the early days of the Republic, yes? 25k years before the films?

11. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    That does not change the fact that Lightsabers must have been created somewhere in history.
    I know all Jedi in the earlier issues of TOTJ (Odan Urr for example) look weird because they use energy packs, but it is possible the Rakata develloped such a weapon earlier on.

12. Sable_Hart

Nov 28, 2009
    Ah, you mean a prototype. Sorry, when you said "advanced" I thought you meant the Force saber should be more advanced than the lightsaber.

13. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    Sorry, I was a bit too fast when I was writing my message. Yeah, I did indeed mean 'earlier', instead of 'advanced'. :)

rumsmuggler and Sable_Hart like this.
  14. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    We already knew Tythonians got the basis to the lightsaber technology from "visitors". In my mind, forcesabers fit perfectly.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  15. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    I don't have any issue with the Forcesaber conceptually, I do wish that visually they were slightly more distinctive from lightsabers. Obviously there's only so much you can do with hilt design, but I think it would be nice if the blade was a little different, perhaps having dark lines or lightning inside of it to show the dark side or something (obviously there's a point of diminishing returns on visual detail in a comic so that might be impractical to actually draw that sort of thing). Right now, in pictures with limited context, like the cover art, they basically look as if they were lightsabers.

Ulicus and Zorrixor like this.
  16. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Yeah, like you I like the basic idea but would have preferred their design to be a bit different somehow, like the blade 'crackling' more or something, rather than the familiar smooth beam of light 100%.

17. Quinnocent-Till-Sith

Quinnocent-Till-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2004
    I think it's like the predecessor of the automobile being a wheeled metal shell powered by good intentions but they fit in with the more fantastical time period.