main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga What do you think of the possibility of them naming time periods

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by jamminjedi23, Jul 30, 2016.

1. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    If they are indeed going to keep on making Star Wars movies for a long long time to come (and how much money there is to be made in it now there is no reason to even think about stopping) what do you think of the idea of them separating sets of trilogies by title or time period and starting over with an episode 1.

For instance this current set of trilogies (which may end with Episode IX or XII) could have a title that has something to do with the fall and the rise of the Jedi Order.

And after that they could start over with an episode 1 within a different time period and it will be given a different title.

How do you feel about the possibility of doing that? I'm sure the idea of doing something like that is being thrown around if they do fully intend to keep the episodic movies going.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I think if there is going to be even one more trilogy, naming them will be necessary.

Having a PT, OT and ST is fine, but an Episode X-XII will need another name.

3. Banana-Wan Kenobi

Banana-Wan Kenobi Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 6, 2016

RT?

RT=Revolution Trilogy?

4. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    It's possible that they intend to let the third trilogy be the closing act of a trilogy of trilogies and then start a new phase, so to speak. That might be wise, considering that the longer they carry on, the more key contributors will drop off (such as John Williams and Ben Burtt) and the farther from GL's vision they will stray. IMO, there's still a sense of unity, but that will diminish over time. Ending the current Saga with EpIX and then leaving it alone as one complete work would make a lot of sense artistically - assuming that the story does come to a satisfying close that gives additional depth to the first trilogies.

Looking at it from a business standpoint, though, I'm not so sure that they'll want to do that. There's just something magical and culturally significant about that classic opening: "STAR WARS; Episode number; EPISODE TITLE; Text scroll", accompanied by JW's majestic score, that I don't think they want to let go of, let alone tamper with (by, for instance, adding a saga/era title). By just adding more episodes to the same series, they'll stick to tradition and make the new movies seem as significant as the first ones, since they'll be made to be part of the same body of work.

I'd welcome an "Anthology" trilogy, though! For instance, they could do a grand Old Republic story. It wouldn't surprise me if they announce something like that when EpIX is out. Even if they plan to keep the Skywalker Saga going beyond that, they might want to take a break from it, to let the actors age and make the world hungry for more.

As for naming the trilogies, I prefer to just call them Anakin's/Luke's/Rey's Trilogy, or the First/Second/Third Trilogy.
    Whatever gets the point across!

5. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I-IX: The Skywalker Saga

ETA, if Luke dies in VIII, I shall be most put out.

6. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I don't care if they make an Episode X-XII, Episode X-C, or Episode X-DCCLXXIV

As long as I-IX feels conclusive, call it the Skywalker Saga. Then make a new saga, possibly set hundreds or even thousands of years later. Give us something completely different, something like the Kotor games. Same universe, but that's about all they share in terms of storytelling and atmosphere. Then go ahead and call that the next episode

Darth Rozic and Lulu Mars like this.
  7. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    If they go up to Episode XII, then I-VI should be the original sexology, while VII-XII would be the sequel sexology. If they go beyond, then it should be the first trilogy, second trilogy, third trilogy, fourth trilogy, etc