main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What do you think of TPM as the months (and years) go by? - Official thread

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Jedi_Learner, Mar 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Nameless_One

The_Nameless_One Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    Off topic, but don't forget that Qui-Gon had already made Anakin his Padawan, in spite of what the Council forbidding it.
    They told him it wasn't allowed to have two, but when he said Obi-Wan no longer needed his teaching, the whole matter was left somewhat up in the air - and Qui-Gon was just the sort to exploit that sort of uncertainty.
    As far as he was concerned, Ankin was his new Padawan, and Obi-Wan was now a Jedi Knight.

In fact, this kind of slightly dubious interpretation displayed by Qui-Gon rubbed off on his new Padawan, as shown by Anakin telling R2 that he had been instructed to stay in the cockpit, so that's what he'd do.
    A great deal of Anakin's attitude in later life comes from Qui-Gon, his first father figure, hence the friction between him and Obi-Wan, just as there was friction between Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon.

And regardless of Anakin being Qui-Gon's new Padawan, he was still the Chosen One, and Qui-Gon wasn't really going to let him out of his sight for very long.
    Finding him was the will of the Force, after all - Qui-Gon believed he was meant to find him - believed it strongly enough to defy the Council and break the Code again.
    Remember - "Feel, don't think" - Qui-Gon lived for the moment - and in that moment the Chosen One had been found by him, and he believed his destiny was bound up with him.
    He defied the Council, broke the Code and dispensed with his old Padawan - all for the sake of the boy he had found.
    It would be completely out of character for Gui-Gon to do anything other than take Anakin with him when they returned to Naboo.

2. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    I'm noticing two basic kinds of posts in this thread today: those that are discussing bashing and those that are discussing the topic. The subject heading "What do you think of TPM as the months (and years) go by?" indicates that this thread is for discussing what you think of TPM as time passes, not whether or not bashers should move on with their lives or other message boards. Let's get back to discussing TPM and why your opinion has or hasn't changed for the better or worse since May 1999.

3. Neo_Van_Nostrand

Neo_Van_Nostrand Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 9, 2003
    Personally, I have the same opinion now as I did after I first saw the film. I thought that the CGI was unrealistic, I didn't care for the midichlorian idea, and the script had problems. BUT, I still loved the movie because it is Star Wars. The characters and actions scenes were excellent.

4. Ekenobi

Ekenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2002
    I might as well say people who praise the films just give it blind, empty-headed praises like "it's cool" or "it rocks".

I resent these types of remarks. I have been told this many times and it pi$$es me off. Who are you telling those that like the PT that they are blind andempty-headed? Who are you? So what if we make remarks like that. It is how we feel. I came out of both TPM and AOTC saying WOW and I did not need to explain to everyone every little point why I like them. Wow was enough. This is a place for fans of star wars to be able to talk with others who enjoyed all the movies just as they did. At least that is what I thought when I first came on. Instead this place has turned from that and all the "gusher" seem to do on anymore on any thread is defend why we like the PT. I am tired of defending myself. And I really want the bashers to go some where else. You have your own thread for $*%&^ sake go there. Go on another site. This is not a "fan" site to me anymore.

And I will say it like I always say, TPM is very awesome!!! Liked it in '99 and still today think it is awesome!!! Don't need to go into full detail why either. AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!!!

5. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    People are welcome to their opinions. You don't have to read our posts if you find them so offensive. And no, I'm not a basher. Don't be foolish and post something you will regret afterwards.

6. The_Nameless_One

The_Nameless_One Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    Episode I remains one of the cultural highlights of my life, and will always remain one - just like Episode II always will.
    (And - I hope - Episode II as well.)

I am a musician, poet and writer, and George Lucas' incredible vison is a source of great inspiration to me - seeing Episode I for the first time opened my eyes to the new possibilites available for the stroyteller through film.

There are more fans than bashers at TFN - and the bashers will eventually manage to move on with their lives, and then this will be a proper Star Wars site again.

7. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Uhm, didn't I just tell everyone to get back to discussing the movie? Why, yes, yes I did. Next person who rants on about bashing/gushing/bashers/gushers in this thread will be taking a short vacation.

8. SkottASkywalker

SkottASkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    I am a musician, poet and writer, and George Lucas' incredible vison is a source of great inspiration to me - seeing Episode I for the first time opened my eyes to the new possibilites available for the stroyteller through film.

Cool, very cool. Nice post. :cool: :)

Artist, myself(not for a living, even though I could). Even before STAR WARS. I really enjoy the STAR WARS production paintings and illustrations.

Of course, I really enjoy all of STAR WARS. :)

9. PhantomMenace

PhantomMenace Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 20, 2001
    Add me to the "artist but not for a living" list. :p

Anyhow... its been nearly five years since the release of TPM. I'd have to say that I liked it better then than now. I have AOTC to thank for that, for the most part. It really did surpass TPM in my mind. These days I get a little bored watching TPM, but it's probably 'cause I've watched it a gazillion times, and the same is starting to happen with AOTC. So overall I still think it's a good movie that had its shortcomings. It could have been less kiddie, and it could have been better. But it definitely could have been worse.

10. Cyprusg

Cyprusg Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2002
    When I first saw The Phantom Menace in the movie theater I had goosebumps, almost tears in my eyes when the Star Wars logo came on screen. But from the very first shot I was thinking "I've got a bad feeling about this".

I left the theater thinking it was one of the worst films I had ever seen, but the light saber battle was worth the price of admission. I still think it's one of the worst movies I've ever seen. And for that bad movie to be a Star Wars movie was like a hit to the face. Definitely not what I was expecting after all those years of waiting.

11. Sith Interceptor

Sith Interceptor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 1999
    You thought "I've got a bad feeling about this" after the Ambassador ship hurtled past screen?

WOW.

12. PhantomMenace

PhantomMenace Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 20, 2001
    For me I was a little nervous after seeing Nute Gunray cowardly utter the line "Yes of course... we will be happy to have ambassadors" or something to that degree. I didn't know if it would be awesome or if it would bite. I loved it at first, but again, now it's quite boring and not as good as I thought.

13. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    My appreciation has always gone up. Opening night I was blown away, I saw it 21 times at full price, and once a week the whole time it was in the dollar theaters.

The whole time other people around here were trashing TPM and saying it was the worst thing to ever be inflicted upon man, it made me appreciate it even more, because none of the complaints I heard rang true to me. They all sounded like the complaints people had for the classic trilogy when those came out. Sure, there may not have been as many people harping on the classic trilogy as the prequels, but the harping itself was practically identical: Bad acting, bad writing, all special effects and no heart, and of course, the charges of racism.

When AOTC came out, it made me appreciate it more because I could see more reasons for things I didn't really think as much of before in TPM.

One thing the prequels have really done for me is they are making the classic trilogy better. It resonates more to see the history behind the Empire, the Old Republic, Palpatine, and especially Anakin Skywalker.

It has always moved me when Vader decided to save Luke and toss the Emperor into the chasm at the end of ROTJ, but now that I have seen where Anakin came from, it makes me cry every time.

14. darthsidious32

darthsidious32 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    My opinion of TPM hasn't really changed much since I first saw it on opening day in the theaters 4 1/2 years ago.

I absolutely loved it when I first saw it. Later on, I came to see more of its flaws. But those flaws never lead to me hating the film. I still love it for what it is. It's a great STAR WARS film, and a fitting opening chapter to start the saga with.

Even now, I still will watch it occasionally. I have to admit that I'm more wowed with LOTR than with Star Wars. Not that it's a fair comparison though. LOTR is taken from a completely different genre than Star Wars, taken from better source material. Let's face it, the style of Star Wars is taken from cheesy sci-fi serials(perfectly cool with me), and LOTR is taken directly from one of the greatest fantasy authors of all time.

Nevertheless, I still enjoy the way Star Wars is, and will continue to do so. Star Wars is awesome - even the prequels. Bring on Episode III !

15. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    I love LOTR too. I consider it to be an honerary Lucasfilm.

16. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I think of the LOTR trilogy in that way too -as the first movies ever to capture the spirit of the original Star Wars trilogy.

AS for TPM, I haven't seen it in two years and I think that has improved my memory of it. I now rank it well ahead of AOTC in terms of quality and watchability.

With TPM, I think Lucas genuinely hoped he was making a movie that everyone would love, that would have broad and universal appeal from adults who had seen the OT all the way down to their preschool children. His goal clearly was to create a multigenerational Star Wars experience that everyone could embrace, and I respect his intent, even though I think the execution fell short by a wide margin.

17. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    That's unfortunate.

18. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    It is unfortunate. I would have loved to see a PT that had the kind of public and critical reception that LOTR had. It's still possible that Lucas will make an Episode 3 that no one will ever forget, and I have a lot of respect for the people who still hold out hope.

19. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Give it time, more people will appreciate what Lucas has done once the more emotional initial responses have time to dissipate, and are replaced with more contemplative analasis.

Look at the reviews of the classic trilogy, which were positive, but also didn't think they were anything more than shallow special effects extravaganzas with a simple story.

FF 20 years to the reviews for the special editions and suddenly everyone is a Joseph Campbell expert. Suddenly the classic trilogy is this deep and culturally signifiagnt film from a storytelling standpoint as much as a special effects standpoint.

20. Darth_Fless

Darth_Fless Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 9, 2003
    This first time I saw TPM, I thought it was a cool movie, but it did not seem to fit in with the other SW movies - it seemed far removed from the OT. I found myself saying "Trade Federation & taxes and shipping routes - what is that and what does it have to do with the rebellion and the empire of the OT"? and "Where are the stormtroopers"?

I think time, and AOTC have made TPM better, because we now understand more clearly the events that were taking place in TPM.

Ultimately EpIII will help TPM even more as we see the conlcusion to some events that took place in TPM.

I like TPM more and more each time I see it.

21. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    "Look at the reviews of the classic trilogy, which were positive, but also didn't think they were anything more than shallow special effects extravaganzas with a simple story."

Naw. I remember reading the Time magazine review of Star Wars with my dad in 1977. It was one of many reviews that praised the film relentlessly. Everyone knew from the day it opened that it was going to be a monster hit at least on par with Jaws.

22. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Yeah but Jaws was just a summer blockbuster.

SW is a deep mythology. Did that review you read in '77 happen to mention the depth of the story?

23. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I don't know. Jaws can lay claim to at least the same level of mythic undertone as Star Wars. There's the man against the sea/man against nature "Moby Dick" quality of Jaws that really lies at the heart of its appeal. I don't think it's as timeless a story as Star Wars but it's certainly no more superficial.

24. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Considering the sequels all blew chunks I would say it isn't nearly as deep.

25. Ed-25-UK

Ed-25-UK Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 5, 2003
    "I still think it's one of the worst movies I've ever seen".

Wow, this person hasn't seen that many movies!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.