main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What do you think of TPM as the months (and years) go by? - Official thread

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Jedi_Learner, Mar 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    :eek:

Good lord. American Graffiti is one of the best films ever made, in my opinion! Although THX-1138 is a bit inacessible, but still a great film for a director's first ever feature.

2. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    Just a Question... Why Would You choose to be the Moderator of the Film that you like the least?

3. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    Good question, but could you of asked him in the way of a private message? :)

4. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    Because I still like it. That's the key word here.

Anyway, back to the topic! :D

5. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    Just wondering... It wasn't an acusation or anything. Anyway... I Love TPM, but I said that before.

6. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I always liked TPM very much. The opening scenes are magnificent. The end battles are superb. Palpatine & the politics are heaven. Tatooine was great, especially the scene when Anakin leaves Shmi (my fav. scene of the saga). The pod race is great. Qui-Gon was played superbly by Liam Neeson. The acting was good, IMO. The music was wonderful as usual.

I have to say that TPM is a really good SW movie. I'm starting to consider it as my fav. SW movie!

TPM has the Star Wars feeling. A feeling that I didn't sense that much in AOTC (imo). (Don't get me wrong, I still like AOTC very very much)

The only part I disliked in TPM was the travel through the planet core. That's really all, but still, I think it's way better than the speeder chase through Coruscant. (which is, IMO, the worst scene of the saga. :( Were is the chase feeling? The visuals were OK, but that's all. Stupid things happened, too much "coincidence". And the dialogue just didn't suit for such a scene. Could have been much better without dialogue & when it was shorter, à la ROTJ).

IMO, TPM is a pure Star Wars movie, more than AOTC ever will be.

I hope Eps.III will return to TPM's spirit. :)

*throws forcelightning to defend himself*

7. Jedi_Learner

Jul 10, 2002
    You only gave passing mention to the holy one? I wonder if your feelings on this matter are clear... [face_devil]

8. _Xanatos_

_Xanatos_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 18, 2003
    I still love TPM, it was my third SW theatre expierence and was just great, I loved it and the promotion that film got was wonderful it seemed a lot bigger than AOTC and seemed to have a lot more of a SW impact, plus it had a great actor, Liam Neilson, but I still love it and watch it, I have seen it more than AOTC.

9. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    You only gave passing mention to the holy one? I wonder if your feelings on this matter are clear...

:p lol! Yes, they are! By now, everyone must understand that Ian McDiarmid is their God! ;) I don't have to mention it so often anymore! :)

10. KyleSith

KyleSith Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2000
    'The Phantom Menace' is an amazing film! A true cinema treasure. There is a freshness about it that I adore. My first theatrical experience with it induced an odd reaction that I still can't quite explain. Not quite disappointment but not quite elation either. The media hype and my own expectations made it into a film that it could never be, or so I thought, before I saw it. Now, almost four years later, I truly appreciate what Mr. Lucas created with Episode I. A, dare I say, brilliant opening to the Star Wars Saga. What a treat.

Regarding 'American Graffiti,' this is one of my favorite films. Aside from it being a wonderful film all around I find that 'American Graffiti' really shows what kind of film maker Mr. Lucas was and still is. By studying 'AG' I gain a lot insight into both the Original Trilogy and Prequel Trilogy how Mr. Lucas works as an artist. I'm surprised that so many people complain that Mr. Lucas has lost his touch because when I watch 'American Graffiti' and 'The Phantom Menace' I see the same film maker at work. An artist who crafts every scene, every shot, every piece of dialogue, every subtle reaction with uncompromising purpose. He takes actor "mistakes" and uses them to add something more to the characters or situations. I applaud Mr. Lucas for not losing sight of his artistic merits and vision.

11. rodan70

rodan70 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 1, 2002
    I still like it, The lightsaber Dual and Dual of the fates makes up for any other short commings of the movie

12. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    After viewing the movie last night, I realized that I am beginning to appreciate it more. If you would have asked me a year ago if I liked TPM, I would have answered the question as a basher. But, after seeing AOTC and watching TPM more, I am actually beginning to like the film. So, yeah...I would say that at this point in time, I like TPM.

13. hoth-nudist

hoth-nudist Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 5, 2000
    I just like bits and pieces, I never watch the whole thing.

14. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    Don't listen to that nonsense. The real Steve loves TPM. It's that damned Molly that is the basher. She steals his name and lets loose. 8-}

I <3 TPM. It's almost my favorite of the 5, but ANH was the first and that gives it the edge. :D

15. Ekenobi

Ekenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2002
    I sill love TPM. Even more Since AOTC came out. Love them both!!!

16. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
  17. Jedi_Learner

Jul 10, 2002
    I agree with you Go-Mer-Tonic, this forum is indeed freaky! I hope the normal english writing appears soon. :)

18. Bjork

Bjork Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 21, 2002
    Ahh - attack of the Wingdings!

Anyway: I loved Episode I when I first saw it and I still do. :) Each Star Wars movie has it strengths and weaknesses; but they're all awesome in the end.

-Bjork.

19. starwarsfan182

starwarsfan182 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 8, 2002
    I liked TPM when i first saw it and i still like it. I even knew TPM was gonna be awesome even before it was released.

20. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    TPM used to be my favorite.

Once AotC came out, it topped TESB, and suddenly RotJ came to be tied with AotC for first on my SW list. TPM fell to the bottom, along with ANH.

Now I'm not sure where I rank it. I love all the movies about the same. And that's a lot. :D

So...yeah...to answer the question of this thread...I still love it. ;)

21. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    Yes I love TPM more than ever before.

22. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Still love it. I love 'em all.

23. Master_Byrd

Master_Byrd Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2002
    I love TPM, with all the rest of the SW films. Yes, it has it's flaws, as do all movies. But it's already a contemporary classic in my opinion. :D

24. AssassinDroid21

AssassinDroid21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    Actually yes I like it more.

At first I liked it, then I started to hear others bash it so I started to dispise it a little, then I joined the JC and heard all the nit-picking and hated it, then a while ago I watched it and realized the little stuff doesn't ruin it, its still a great movie. Maybe not the best movie ever but still good. So yes I love it more than I did. :)

25. Jedi of the West

Jedi of the West Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 7, 1999
    I loved TPM when it came out in 1999 and I still love it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.