What do you think of TPM as the months (and years) go by? - Official thread

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Jedi_Learner, Mar 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Bazinga'd, heels1785
  1. -_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus

star 6
    It's that damned Molly that is the basher.

[face_mischief]
  2. SLR Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I always liked TPM. Like w/ many people, though, I was taken aback on first viewing by many things. However, after viewing it several more times, I began to understand what Lucas was trying to do w/ this film. The movie gets better every time I see it. I think it is a really well done film and once people get over their preconceptions of the prequel, they will really appreciate it.

Its actually funny because I had the complete opposite reaction to AoTC. I really like AoTC the first viewing. However, the more I saw it, the less I like it. The story is good but the execution was sorely lacking. I think this one fits more in line w/ fanboy perceptions, but the movie was rushed and poorly done. It is a shame because it really could have been a great movie. It is by far my least favorite SW movie. THe only reason I even say I like it is because it is SW and I could never bring myself to completely dislike a SW movie, but AoTC comes close.
  3. Loyal-Guard Jedi Knight

star 1
    I liked TPM when i saw it in the theatre, even though it was WAY diffrent than what I was expecting. Today, I still like it, espically when compared to ATOC. I liked that film too, but what I like about Star Wars in general is that no two episodes are exactly alike; they are kind of like diffrent issues of the same comic book, where the writer is the same every month, but the artist changes.

TPM still has kind of a paunchy plot in the middle (they are one Tattooine a bit too long for my taste) and the Jedi council scenes are pretty iffy too (we go in there three times, with nothing much occuring each visit) but I understand the movie had to get a lot of expository stuff out of the way, and I admire the dialouge of the film, if not the way the lines are delivered.

And oddly enough, Im drawn to the color scheme of the movie, with all it's sharply defined bright Reds and Blues. It's a nice contrast to the darker shades of ATOC.
  4. Jedi_Learner Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I am happy to see so many people who still ike Episode I. :)
  5. DarthLucanas Jedi Master

star 4
    I really like TPM. I am disappointed Qui-Gon was killed and Darth Maul too. I would of liked to see them in AOTC. I liked Qui-Gon's way of thinking in the movie. I love the idea he could be on the Jedi Council but sticks to his own inner feelings on things and doesn't always follow the book. Which Qui-Gon's way of free thinking frightens the council. He will probably be my favorite Jedi alaways. I would of liked to see a duel in AOTC with Anakin and Darth Maul. I just wanted a little more Darth Maul in the STAR WARS Universe. I watch TPM every couple of months on a weekend and it really is a great movie. I have grown more fond of it as the years have gone on. I think alot of people wanted TPM to have an older Anakin like in AOTC. And Jar Jar annoyed alot of people , but he did'nt really affect my feelings on the movie. He had a better role in AOTC.
    When I see TPM it takes me back and I start to think of the great times I had in the summer of 1999 getting collectibles and toys.
    I had never thought I would ever feel like a kid again before TPM. And George Lucas brought alot of us back in time to our childhoods again with TPM. And I thank him very much for the happiness he has brought to myself and the multitude of fans the world over. Great work Mr. Lucas. You have left your mark on history and our lives.
  6. Stridarious Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I like Ep.1 it has many great battle scenes and cool effects. It also sets up the main story for Ep.2.
  7. Emi-Yan_Tetu Jedi Knight

star 2
    I watched TPM again after not seeing it for many months.

I generally think it's a fabulous movie but each time I watch it I have slightly different emotions. Watching it recently I must say I was very impressed and entertained.

The opening scenes are fantastic, as are the scenes on Tatooine, though, I think Coruscant is certainly the high point of the film. Brilliantly done.

The only part of the film that slightly bothers me is the section after the Queen and the group return to Naboo. I think the film just gets bogged down at this point just when it's starting to pick up some kinetic energy.

I think the corresponding section in AOTC is better served with the Droid Foundry scene maintaining the momentum.

This is all just my opinion and I don't take it too seriously. I don't pretend (unlike others on this board) to understand film better than George Lucas!

I don't like to rank the Star Wars films but do you know there are 120 different ways to order them. It'll go up to 720 after Episode III comes out... the power of Maths!
  8. DarthWrytard Jedi Master

star 2
    Yes.
    Dual of the Fates is still cool music, and the Obi/Maul duel is the best of all time. (So far.)
  9. Samwise_Skywalker Force Ghost

star 4
    Loved TPM to death in 99 and love it to death in 03...
  10. Pooja Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    When I seen TPM back in 1999 on opening day, well... I walked out and right back in. I had the money to watch it multiple times, why not? Most of my friends and I seen it twice on opening day, and again the next day. Through the theatrical run, I seen it 10 times. In translation, it's safe to say that I love it, though the first 5-6 times I seen it, I had mixed feelings about some things, but in the end, I think it's a brilliant, imaginitive film- hadn't seen one of those since Jurassic Park. I liked Episode II just a tad more, but I think it's because it was a more mature film.
  11. Samwise_Skywalker Force Ghost

star 4
    <<"I seen it 10 times.">>

Wussy...I saw it 21 times... ;)
  12. Indy2 Jedi Master

star 4
    Its a lame story, with a poor script; mixed with awesome production values and great vision.

It is baically the weaakest of the SW films.
  13. YodaBoomstick Force Ghost

star 1
    "Its a lame story, with a poor script"

...Could you possibly bother to give an explanation?

If you don't have a decent one..I suggest you don't write it in stone.
  14. winter_chili Force Ghost

star 5
    poor script eh?

the script is FAR better then ep2 or ROTJ

it may have abosolutely disgusting dialogue (jar jar) but it has amazing dialogue too. If you really pay attention to what qui gon says its quite good.
  15. Pooja Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Wussy...I saw it 21 times...

I apologize. I'll have to double my efforts.
  16. Indy2 Jedi Master

star 4
    Just remember when your making six movies, one of them has to draw the short straw.

17. Padawan_Jess_Kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    I adore TPM. Once my favorite movie of all time, still my favorite movie. It opened up all the characters in the saga (that lived too be in the OT.) It showed the Jedi Council, and had wonderful scenery. The dialogue was brilliant, and I loved it to pieces. It bothers me so much that there are more TPM bashers than gushers, for it truly is a wonderful film. I loved all of it. The feel of it was fantastic, and I felt as if the characters were real. I'm sure a lot of people could relate to the characters that were shown.

But the thing I loved most was the ending. IMO, (respectively) I don't think AoTC did justice to the true power of a Jedi with their lightsabre. In TPM, you got to see just how amazing the Jedi were with their weapons. The sheer power they could have when relying in the Force. And the Qui death scene ( :_|) was brilliant. In no other Star Wars films do you get to see the true bond of a Master and Apprentice. But you could tell it was there with Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon. The way that Obi-Wan yelled "NOOOOO," and made the promise showed how truly tight the Master/Padawan bond was. Its love that was there, father to son love. That love is shown in no other film so far, well, not really anyways.

Oh, *re-reads the original question* Erm, do I still love Episode 1? *sigh* Yup, I love it!!!! 8-}
  18. openmind Jedi Master

star 4
    Im one of those who didn't really like it all that much. Maybe I listened to too many critics, but seriously, I just couldn't follow the story.

Regardless I saw it 5 times in the theatre, bought the DVD, hoping that one day I?ll get into it somehow. Didn?t think it was possible, until I read Lard Biscuit?s essay on it. Only then I got part of the message GL was trying to portray. However, after the release of AOTC (which I liked much more than TPM, when I saw the first time), I looked at TPM on my DVD again. Its like a revelation, but (7 months back), it started to make so much sense, the movie kept grabbing my attention, and I then realized what a great start it is to the Saga. I think its got everything a great SW movie should have and believe it or not. Its my second favourite to ESB. The story moves and its like I can?t get enough of it.

I notice more and more interesting things I didn?t see before. The ?little? things that seemed to be missing, were starting to fill in. I may be even seeing it as a child would see it, and it?s a great feeling. Strange enough, AOTC although pretty good is not flowing as much as I would like (as compared to TPM- Strange isn?t it?) Then again, maybe Im one of those who need the next episode to see it tie in well. I am confident I will get that truly great feeling again, when the pieces are fit in, after Ep. III is completed.

Without much further ado, a word of advise. If you are not getting that child like feel good excitement with TPM , I suggest you try to do yourself a favour and try to embrace it. It?ll be all worthwhile. Especially by the time Ep. III is done.

35 years and getting younger! he he! :D
  19. rpeugh Force Ghost

star 4
    SRL, even though I think AOTC is the 2nd best SW movie, I will have to admit that there are a few parts where it is obvious GL got started with the script much later than he normally would have, had he not gone on a 2 month vacation during the summer.
  20. SaberGiiett7 Force Ghost

star 6
    I just watched The Phantom Menace for the umpteenth time 3 days ago and I found myself employing the DVD ability to skip scenes completely past the Tatooine scenes, not until after awhile when I got bored of it and then right through the Coruscant load of politics to go straight to the final battle. [face_shocked]

It alarm's me to say TPM may be losing it's touch for me. Some extended segment's throughout the movie where so thick with story development it got weary of it after awhile.

Maybe I should wait a few months before watching it again. Although this was my first time viewing it in about 3 months! :confused:

<[-]> Saber
  21. Jedi_Learner Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Thanks Oakessteve for making this topic offical. :)
  22. Aiwendil Jedi Knight

star 1
    I love The Phantom Menace. It's only my fourth favorite Star Wars movie - but hey, that still makes it my fourth favorite movie of all time.

I think that many people are unable to look past certain superficial flaws in the movie. I confess that I hate Jar-Jar, but (unlike some people, I think) I don't allow this to ruin the whole movie for me. Jar-Jar and his debatable comedy is, whether you like it or not, really a superficial element, and it's unfair to refuse to appreciate the good aspects of the movie due to that single flaw.

Perhaps another reason for my high opinion of the movie is that I went into the theater with lower expectations than most. Not that I thought it would be a bad film; I was like most people quite excited about it. But on some level I was skeptical - how could any movie, I thought, possibly compare with the original trilogy? I was thus quite pleasantly surprised by the movie. Many fans who did not harbour such doubts, and indeed expected it to surpass IV, V, and VI, were, I think, disappointed.
  23. LurkerKing Jedi Padawan

I have to agree with many here and just say that TPM gets better every time I watch it. And just remembering the hype around the movie (I recently read some old issues of UK movie mag Empire) takes me back to '99. I never thought that a movie four years old could take me back like that, but Lucas has done it with TPM. Whenever I watch the Matrix or LOTR I just don't get that fuzzy feeling that I get when watching TPM.

I honestly believe that, for me, the release of AOTC has given TPM a greater scale because it puts almost everything that went on in TPM into context. AOTC itself certainly doesn't match up to TPM, but it fills in a few gaps that had many people scratching their heads before. We now appreciate why Anakin had to be so young, and why the Jedi were so wary of training this boy etc. And TPM is so different to what went before not because of some radical desire of Lucas's, but because it had to be different for the sake of keeping the OT as fresh as possible. What on earth was the point of simply cloning the OT?

TPM is set in a different time to the OT, and on many different planets, featuring different characters and nearly unrecognisable versions of existing ones. For some reason people still expected stormtroopers, and Chewie, and a big bad like Vader. They expected to relive their childhoods again. But they didn't. And for this reason alone people still like to run TPM down (although they don't like to admit it's for this reason!).

And, fingers crossed, Ep3 will do for AOTC what AOTC did for TPM. It'll fill in the gaps, complete the arcs and finish the greatest sci-fi saga in movie history. May 2005? Can't wait.
  24. openmind Jedi Master

star 4
    Amen to that Lurker King. AOTC does put TPM into context. I expect Ep. III to mostly fill in the gaps to AOTC, basically due to the "grey" story arc and what I call less straightforward than the OT. We'll probably notice clearer, how Sidious/Palpatine had set up the Jedi, to enable the start of the Clone Wars.

Anyway, your explanation is something I've always wanted to express. : thumbs up : :)
  25. SaberGiiett7 Force Ghost

star 6
    I do agree however overall with most of you guys on the fact that TPM was a good saga opener and set the stage for Attack of The Clones as well. :)

Maybe it was supposed to be but maybe it was'ent but I found TPM cheerfulness to be wearing. It's not that I'm not grateful for the movie (and I don't know how Lucas could get around making it the way it was) but it should've been more darker.

Probably through easing into the "dark times" from a more family oreinted heros win movie was the point, but try not to watch it too much you might regret it later. :(

<[-]> Saber
Moderators: Bazinga'd, heels1785
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.