What do you think of TPM as the months (and years) go by? - Official thread

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Jedi_Learner, Mar 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Bazinga'd
  1. gator Jedi Knight

star 2
    I still love it. I love the characters and story even more today. Plus, the cinematography and sets are still beautiful to look at.
  2. Darth-Mauls-Torso Jedi Master

star 3
    Yes. I can honestly say that I do.
  3. Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I loved TPM even more now then I did in 99. I recently watched TPM and AOTC back to back and what a thrilling experience. TPM flows perfectly into AOTC and you never miss a beat.

Someone mentioned that AOTC filled in the gaps from TPM which I agree with also. They then siad that Episode III will fill in the gaps of AOTC which will also happen. But here's the best thing of all, A New Hope will fill in the gaps of Episode III!!! The circle will then be truly completed. :D
  4. Jedi_Learner Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I can't believe I actually written that way back in March. My opinion of Episode I has changed considerably since then. For me now Episode I has incredibly two-dimensional characters with a very thin storyline. George Lucas should focus more on his story and characters rather than special effects. Amazes me what he did with a larger budget.
  5. JohnWilliams00 Jedi Master

star 4
    *rubs eyes*

Huh? [face_shocked] Is this the same Jedi_Learner?
  6. Jedi knight Pozzi Force Ghost

star 6
    Well aren't you glad? :p

Anyway TPM wasn't what I expected in 99 and I was always a little disappointed. The action with the Jedi was always good and that kept me going.

Then the DVD came out, and I realised that the Podrace had always felt so dull to me. This new improved podrace helped the entire film. I love it.
  7. openmind Jedi Master

star 4
    For me now Episode I has incredibly two-dimensional characters with a very thin storyline.

[Luke Skywalker]Then this thread is truly dead [/Luke Skywalker] [face_shocked]

Spending time on LOTR boards I believe 8-}

Off to the Basher's Sanctuary you go...please [face_devil]

8. Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep

star 6
    For me now Episode I has incredibly two-dimensional characters with a very thin storyline. George Lucas should focus more on his story and characters rather than special effects. Amazes me what he did with a larger budget.

[Ackbar] It's a trap! [/Ackbar]
  9. Sith Interceptor Force Ghost

star 4
    ahh that does not compute...!
  10. Ekenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Yes I still do. Love the story, the characters, the effects. I always fill sorry for Anakin knowing what is going to happen to him. I feel for these charactes know ing things are about to go to hell. wb

My wife who is not a big Sw fan is really into the PT. She wants Lucas to change it so he does not change to DV. She really cares for Anakin.
  11. Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost

star 4
    I love it. It´s an amazing film.
    I really feel sorry for people who think that the PT (especially Menace) doesn´t stand up in terms of a SW movie and general movie making!!
    What the hell? Okay then, Charlies Angels,
    Tomb Raider, Triple X, the newest Bond, S.W.A.T. and all the brainwashing teen comedies and romantic comedies are better than TPM??? I don´t think there was any major summer blockbuster that was better than the Phantom Menace since 99 at least (some might say the LOTR sequels and Matrix´s sequels)
    but other than that, was Terminator 3 a good sequel? Was Spiderman a good movie? What will Spiderman two be like....

Anyway, Menace is a great piece of classic storytelling which only LOTR has in another way. Great tales-great cinematography-great feel.

12. Jedi_Learner Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I am indeed the same person if you can believe it. This will most likely only apply to myself so I don't claim to speak for anyone else, but I was in denial of how bad the Prequels have been. That is my own opinion.

Reading intelligent posts from people that dislike the Prequels or have problems with them has changed me. Now if anyone wants to insult me like I did to them months ago, then I understand.

Could one of the moderators change the title to something else since it is misleading. 8-}
  13. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    This thread can stay, as it is something others can post their thoughts in as well. Just because the original author has decided he does not like TPM is irrelevant.

I must say I am curious as to what brings about such an extreme about face. One of the most militant fans of TPM suddenly returns and says he no longer likes the film and was in denial. Seems a bit strange.

14. Sith Interceptor Force Ghost

star 4
    his account was probably hacked...?
  15. Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus

star 4
    I still love Episode I. What about yourself?

I still adore it. And it comes in quite handy in an emergency. Last night I had to use it and its sequel as audio-visual mouthwash after seeing a horrendously over-praised fantasy film.

Worked like a charm, too.

-Otis
  16. openmind Jedi Master

star 4
    I was just kidding about shutting this thread. But the author I think should have started another thread or settled his grieviances at the Basher's Sanctuary.

Carry on, if you must [face_devil]
  17. JohnWilliams00 Jedi Master

star 4
    Last night I had to use it and its sequel as audio-visual mouthwash after seeing a horrendously over-praised fantasy film.

Were you watching Ridley Scott's Legend again? 8-}
  18. Darth_Punk Jedi Master

star 4
    I must admit, I was very dissapointed with TPM when I saw it, and I think that was down to un-realistic expectations drawn from the first trailer.
    When I saw AOTC for the first time, I thought GREAT.
    That said, looking back, TPM has really grown on me, and I would go as far as to say it has more of a feel of a SW movie than AOTC does.
  19. Oakessteve Manager Emeritus

star 6
    You mean you saw Empire Strikes Back, Otis_Frampton? Cool, I didn't know it was at the cinema. Now, if you had seen Return of the King, that would have been so much better. :)
  20. zacparis VIP

star 7
    I still love it, I've always loved it. :) I thought it was a great movie, and I had no idea how much people disliked it until coming to these boards. But it's only increased my love of the movie.
  21. Oakessteve Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Billy_Dee_Binks, as much as I'm not keen on The Phantom Menace, there is no way on Earth I'd consider any of the films you listed as being better than Episode I. George, for all his failings as a director, knows how to make extremely fun, solid, entertaining, well made films, which films like Star Wars, American Graffiti, and Attack of the Clones demonstrate. Anyone who does think a film like SWAT (I think if one was to replace the S with a T, it would make a rather fitting description of the type of person who goes to see it) is better than Phantom Menace....well, they need a good cup of tea. The reason why I was disapointed is that it didn't live up to my expectations of what a Star Wars film should be. For a regular film, it was fine, but it wasn't what I wanted from a Star Wars film. Attack of the Clones did, for the most part, live up to my expectations of what a Star Wars film should be like, but Episode fell so far off the mark, it's just faintly embarrassing.
  22. TrueJedi Force Ghost

star 5
    I still love it, I've always loved it. I thought it was a great movie, and I had no idea how much people disliked it until coming to these boards. But it's only increased my love of the movie.

You had to come to these boards before you realized that TPM has been universally reviled? Seriously? With every new epic film that comes out, TPM falls further down the shaft, much like the Emperor does in ROTJ.
  23. anidanami124 Force Ghost

star 6
    You had to come to these boards before you realized that TPM has been universally reviled? Seriously? With every new epic film that comes out, TPM falls further down the shaft, much like the Emperor does in ROTJ.

No that's not true. Off the boards must people don't really care one way or another.

One minute they like The Matrix. The next they like Kill Bill, The next they like LOTR, the next they like SW, and so on and so on.
  24. Ekenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    I did not know how hated it was until I came on these boards also. Thought this was a "fan" web site. Did not know people went on boards of movies they hated. I just not even acknowledge movies I did not like. I do not even bring them up. This is turning into a LORE hate PT website. Doe not even seem like SW fan site anymore. Seems a channel for all to come here a bash SW now rather then people coming together for a common interest. It just does not seem fun anymore. Tired of having to defend why I like something here.
  25. rpeugh Force Ghost

star 4
    I didnt know it was so hated either until I read about it in the January 2002 edition of Vanity Fair. Then I came to these boards and I was like , "WHAT?" .

I have only talked to 2 or 3 people in real life who didnt like TPM. And one of those people I think liked it after he saw it a second time.
Moderators: Bazinga'd
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.