main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What do you think of TPM as the months (and years) go by? - Official thread

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Jedi_Learner, Mar 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    >>>>>his account was probably hacked...?<<<<<<

LOL!! Good one.

2. PadmeAmidalaLover

PadmeAmidalaLover Jedi Youngling

Dec 4, 2003
    I have always loved TPM from the first day it came out and always will. This is a silly thread, if you don't love all Star Wars films you are not a real fan! I already know that Episode 3 will be one of my favorite films a real fan has all the sw films in his/her top 6!

3. rpeugh

Apr 10, 2002
    >>>>>>>>>Reading intelligent posts from people that dislike the Prequels or have problems with them has changed me. Now if anyone wants to insult me like I did to them months ago, then I understand. <<<<<<<<<<<<<<

There are intelligent posts on both sides of the argument.

I will say that I commend you for coming in and having the guts to say that you changed your mind. You could have easily just gotten a different username and pretended to be a different person.

4. JKBurtola

JKBurtola Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 4, 2003
    LOL Jedi_Learner bowed down to peer pressure [face_laugh]

5. rpeugh

Apr 10, 2002
    >>>>>>>I still adore it. And it comes in quite handy in an emergency. Last night I had to use it and its sequel as audio-visual mouthwash after seeing a horrendously over-praised fantasy film.<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

LOL! That is the best post I have read in a long time. Thanks. Actually, I must admit that ROTK redeemed the LOTR trilogy for me. I actually liked it. Unlike the first two movies, some of the emotion was actually TRUE emotion and not artificial. I actually felt for a Hobbit whenever he cried,because unlike the first two movies, he actually earned it. and the Faramir/father subplot was very emotional. And Sean Astin was great. He and Gandalf are definatelyl the heart of LOTR. And is it just me, or did Peter Jackson actually restrain himself this time from the endless closeups and annoying slow motion of the camera and other stupid camera tricks?

But SW is still definately the greatest franchise of them all. I too still find LOTR to be somewhat overrated, but not as overrated as I once thought.

6. DarthMaul13

DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 1998
    Go see the Extended Editions of FOTR and TTT, and you will see LOTR in a whole new light. Watch the behind the scenes extras too and you will be amazed at the amount of work that went into it.

7. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Watch the behind the scenes extras too and you will be amazed at the amount of work that went into it.

This is very true, however, I fail to see how it weighs on one's opinion of a film.

I mean, I'm sure it took a lot of work to make "Kangaroo Jack", but that doesn't make it a good movie.

I like the LOTR flicks 'n' all. I just don't see where the connection comes in, that they're good because a lot of work went into them, or because the filmmakers are passionate.

Maybe it comes from the fact that I can be passionate about my films and STILL get a bad grade on them.* Someone please call my professors and explain to them what the priorities should be. :p

* I've never actually gotten THAT bad a grade, but there was one I was pissed about.

Rick McCallum loves you!

8. Dagobah_Dude

Dagobah_Dude Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 9, 2001
    I liked TPM quite a bit the first time I saw it, and my respect for much of it has only grown with each subsequent viewing. I do find Jar Jar annoying when he gets in the way(ie, in Watto's shop), but other than that, his character is ok. The music, the duel and the camaraderie between Qui Gon and Obi Wan really appeal to me. Also, the sequences on Tatooine have a "biblical epic" feel to them that made me think a lot about what being the Chosen One means in the SW universe.

I like AOTC more, but TPM does have quite a bit to recommend it.

9. starwarsfan182

starwarsfan182 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 8, 2002
    Yeah, I still love TPM too.

10. SkottASkywalker

SkottASkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    THE PHANTOM MENACE "had me at 'Hello.'"

I've always fully enjoyed EPISODE I. Great start to the saga.

11. Jedi_Majik

Jedi_Majik Jedi Youngling

Nov 7, 2003
    TPM is a great Star Wars Movie. It sets the stage for everything that comes after it. It shows us a world that my mind never imagined. When Ben Kenobi speaks of a lightsaber being an "elegant" weapon, and makes reference to a more civilized time, that's what we see in EP1. The characters are wooden because they haven't had much reason to emote.

I can remember when I first saw the scene of Qui Gon plunging his lightsaber into that blaster shield (or whatever kind of door it was). He was unstoppable and relentless. I thought, "how did these guys get wiped out."

The only thing I don't like is the opening space sequence as the jedi approach the Trade Federation blockade. I was a bit worried when I first saw that, and I rarely watch that now.

I think most people dislike TPM because the Star Wars Universe was not what they had envisioned or what they would have hoped for. That's exactly why I love the flick. What would have been the fun Darth Vader starting out as brooding young bully? We would not have rooted for him in AOTC.

Anyway, it's a great flick.

12. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    Last night I had to use it and its sequel as audio-visual mouthwash after seeing a horrendously over-praised fantasy film.

Were you watching Ridley Scott's Legend again? :p

I would have figured something a bit more contemporary, like the Harry Potter sequel, but Legend works in that regard too. :p

13. Darth_Magnet

Darth_Magnet Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 16, 2003
    strilo edit: Off topic. Don't troll.

14. winter_chili

winter_chili Jedi Master star 5

Nov 6, 2002
    Episode 1 was the only hyped movie where I didn't feel dissapointed afterward. I loved Kill Bill, Matrix Reloaded AOTC and Return of the King but after watching each one I felt kinda like "Is that all?" But not TPM.

15. Ekenobi

Ekenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2002
    And is it just me, or did Peter Jackson actually restrain himself this time from the endless closeups and annoying slow motion of the camera and other stupid camera tricks?

No he did use slo mo. Especially the ending or endings. It was all slo mo it seemed.

16. AragornSolo101

AragornSolo101 Jedi Youngling

Dec 17, 2003
    I still dig TPM, it still affects me, I feel nostalgic watching it. There are plenty of things now that I see as flawed that I didn't before, but I'm not going really let that stop me from having a pleasant 2 hours+ when I pop in the DVD.

17. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Well said! I have never thought the film was perfect, but I approach it from a frame of mind to enjoy it. :)

18. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    Hey Learner. Care to explain your post in the DF on December 3? Your opinion musta changed pretty quick.

Rick McCallum loves you!

19. The_Abstract

The_Abstract Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2002
    My opinion of TPM has changed recently as well. Given the groundswell of "fantasy" movies since 1999, it's apparent that this movie definitely stands the test of time. I used to think of it as just another "Star Wars" movie, but that label drags with it a lot of presumption.

It really is the boldest fantasy movie since, at least, "Jurassic Park". (Who ever thought we'd see photorealistic dinosaurs on screen?) I think the adults of this movie (Qui-Gon, Shmi, Palpatine, Yoda) really carry this picture. Anakin is something quite unexpected, but I'm quite fond of Jake Lloyd's portrayal. He reminds me of my younger brother in many ways. The special effects are still stunning, though I wish this movie would have been captured digitally. I think my brain would have melted then. DOTF is among the best thematic pieces John Williams has ever created.

Yep, still love this movie. :D

20. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    "I couldn't wait any longer. I haven't seen Episode I in about four months and I wanted to watch it again. I sat myself down in the living room, put the dvd in and pressed the play button. I wasn't expecting my opinion to change an awful lot, I've seen this movie many times before. After seeing it last night, I have to say that my love for Episode I has grown more than last time. This movie does indeed improve with time. I still find the Story compelling, the special effects awesome and the characters interesting. I still find Bink's antics on Tatooine and Naboo hilarious, I still find the lightsabre duel between Obi-Wan and Darth Maul awesome and I still find Palpatine's rise to power very chilling considering we all know what he is going to do in Episode III. Some of the complains about the movie seem a tad bit unfair now and while I can understand why you don't like it, surely there is some good in this movie?"

I'm killing myself over here! I must of been blind. [face_laugh]

21. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    We get it. You changed your mind. Why continue to harp on this?

22. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    Like I said in another thread, this is his Warholian 15 minutes of fame. Maybe he just wants to extend his time in the sunlight... juuuust a little more... :p

Rick McCallum loves you!

23. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    The Phantom Menace was on the telly today. I did actually find myself thinking, "This really isn't too bad." It has a lot of problems, more so than the other films in the Saga, but it is an entertaining film, and there are certainly worse ways to waste an afternoon. Like watching 1941, for instances!

24. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yah Spielberg sucks.

25. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    :mad:

It's a good job I like you, as otherwise you'd have felt the full fury of my mighty banning twig.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.