main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What do you think of TPM as the months (and years) go by? - Official thread

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Jedi_Learner, Mar 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ekenobi

Ekenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2002
    I feel for TPM strongly today as I did in 1999. This movie ROCKED and still does.

2. SkottASkywalker

SkottASkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    I watched THE PHANTOM MENACE today for my 44th time, overall. Totally enjoyed it. :cool:

It was bad decision-making to minimize his time and dialogue.

Is this a fact? So, you know all of the motivations of Lucas? Do the rules of "Good Decision-Making Concerning Time and Dialogue" specifically state this?

All I expected was a good quality, entertaining film. Did not get it.

Hey, you don't have to convince me. I got it the first time. You didn't get what you wanted. I got it.

3. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    I watched THE PHANTOM MENACE today for my 44th time, overall. Totally enjoyed it. :cool:

Hey, you don't have to convince me. I got it the first time. You enjoyed it. I got it.

4. SkottASkywalker

Jan 3, 2002
    Hey, you don't have to convince me. I got it the first time. You enjoyed it. I got it.

Good. You're learning. ;)

And since this is a fan site, positive comments aren't unexpected and are welcomed.

Have any?

:cool:

5. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Ahem. Stop antagonizing each other. I am not afraid to stop this car if need be. :p

6. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    What I want to know is, "Are we there yet?" ;)

Yes, I have some positives to say. Maul was a great character because he was so lean and clearly-defined. He is a rare example of a character that did not need Hamlet-esque complexity or depth because, just by his very physical appearance, he spells out pure malice and evil all the way through. And he is a great fighter, and I loved the duel in that huge generator (?) room. I may not be a fan of too many CG sets, but that set is an example of something I felt was used properly to really stretch the boundaries and give us something rarely seen.

I always thought Naboo's palace was very gorgeous, ever since I saw the first TPM trailer. One shot I really loved that was unfortunately dropped was that image of a towering Theed building during the scene of Jar Jar, Obi Wan and Qui-Gon escaping the waterfall (deleted scene). That was a breathtaking shot. (I think Jar Jar is looking up twoards it if I remember correctly) However, since the entire scene was dropped, it would be hard to figure that shot into the final film I guess.

Qui-Gonn was a very well-realized character. (Liam acted very well too)Whereas I felt Obi Wan was underdeveloped and could've used more dialogue and screentime, Qui-Gon actually personfies what I feel a great Jedi should be. True, he was rebellious at times, but that's what gives him some dimensionality I think.

7. Alomanuma_Topha

Alomanuma_Topha Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 2, 2004
    After watching TPM over the last few years, here's my favorite scenes:

1. Finding out darth vader built C3PO! Who woulda thought??? what a cawazzy coincidence!!! I hope lucas is going to fix ANH in the definitive editions. When darth vader senses something in the death star hanger (as luke and co. are hiding in the falcon). In the new version, he could report to Tarkin that he senses his old master, his son, daughter, the droid that helped his defeat the trade ship, and his homemade robot!!! cool!!!

2. Finding out about mediclorians. Finally a scientific explanation for the force! I never liked the whole spiritula asspect that lucas was spinning in the OT. I much prefer thinking of the force as a measured amount that you're born with. Kinda like that movie GATACA. You wanna be a jedi? Please pee in this cup and let's see how much force you have. I'm sorry, we're looking for someone with a little more force. Thanks for applying though, and good luck.

3. The jedi cousil scenes. Typically, I don't like watching people sitting in a circle having boring conversations, but slap some alien masks on 'em and call 'em jedis and now you got movie magic! Finally we get to see the jedi in action!

4. When anakin and padme have their moment on the trip to coruscant. I felt they had real chemistry. I was especially moved when padme sensed that anakin missed his mother. Clearly these two had feelings for each other much deeper than simple frendship.

5. When that animal farts right in jar jar's face. HAHAHA! You're never too old for a fart joke and kudos to Lucas for finally putting one into a star wars movie. HAHAHA, so funny... farted right in his face! LOL!!!

6. The scene where sideus says "Not for the sith. This is my apprentice, Darth Maul" and Maul steps forward. I hope in the definitive version, lucas shows the scene right before this happens. I think it could go something like this:

Sideus: "Ok, I need to contact the trade federation. If by some mis-fortune, they have lost the princess, you will need to help out. At this point, I will say 'Not for the Sith'. When I say that, you step forward and cross your arms. Make sure you look very evil. If all goes to plan, it will look very cool. Are you ready?"

Maul: "Yes master."

That's all the cool scenes I can think of right now.

8. SkottASkywalker

Jan 3, 2002
    JohnWilliams00, I knew you had it in you. 8-}

Whereas I felt Obi Wan was underdeveloped and could've used more dialogue and screentime

It's one movie out of six. Plenty of time for that. At least you didn't say Obi-Wan should have gotten Gui-Gon's screentime and dialogue. 8-}

9. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I personally love Qui-Gon's character as is. I also really enjoyed Obi-Wan in TPM. He is exactly what Iw as expecting once I heard he would be an apprentice in the film.

10. jedibri

jedibri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2000
    I love TPM. I think alot of SW fans were thinking that it would be closer to the OT with space battles and Stormtroopers and so on.

What Lucas did (has done) is change the tone of the movies. And he has done a great job of it. I for one didn't want these (PT) to mirror in any way the OT. They do not. The transition in these film are great!

11. Rhaegar

Rhaegar Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 29, 2001
    Alomanuma_Topha, you had me chuckling with that last post of yours. You know, humour is really an effective tool to show how truly mediocre the prequels have been.

I am still reeling from the whole baby Vader built 3PO angle... bad, bad, bad...

12. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I like the things he makes fun of.

1. Finding out darth vader built C3PO. As long as Lucas doesn't take Alomanuma_Topha's
    advice to add the scene where Vader senses 3PO on the Death Star, I don't see the problem with this.

2. Midichlorians in no way explain nor do they de-spiritualize the Force. Midichlorian counts only show a great predisposition to being able to manipulate the Force. How powerful they are in the Force is up to how well they train.

3. What's wrong with the Jedi Council scenes? This can't all be explosions and lasers, there has to be a story to all of this, and exposition scenes, while less exiting, are neccesary to the overall substance of the film.

4. When anakin and padme have their moment on the trip to Coruscant, they weren't supposed to have romantic chemistry, Padme was a sorrogate mother for Anakin. It all ties into his obsession with not letting things go.

5. When that animal farts right in jar jar's face, I genuinely thought it was funny.

6. The scene where Sidious says "Not for the Sith. This is my apprentice, "Darth Maul" and Maul steps forward. Cinematic tension building doesn't get much better than this.

13. Rhaegar

Rhaegar Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 29, 2001
    Well, it seems like you come by the name "gomer" honestly...

strilo edit: No need to insult anyone.

14. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    What, are you better than I am because you think this stuff I like sucks?

15. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003

Here's what I think- I tried watching it again when it was on TV a few weeks ago.

It starts badly, it's just dull. The scene where QG is burning his way thru the shield door has some tension, the Nemoidian saying "we will not survive this" suggests the Jedi are really dangerous.
    Then JJ appears and I turn over. I turn back and they're in Oto Gunga, I turn over again.
    I find it tedious until they reach Tatooine. I like Shmi, she's about the only one I have any empathy with.
    The Pod race is beautifully done but it's severely marred by JJ's comments "careful Annie, careful Annie" "Diddy cra****?" Yeesh! it's like someone scraping nails down a blackboard, does he have to interrupt every scene?
    Ian McDiarmid is great, some nice subtle political stuff.
    The JC stuff is dreadful, that Yoda puppet is appalling, and the acting is dreadful, the JC folk obviously don't know what's going on so they just act serious. Those are the top Jedi?? Gimme a break.

The whole business of bringing the Naboo and the Gungans together is so lamely done.

Duel - yeah, good.
    Land battle - what is this? It's just a load of blue beach balls bouncing about and JJ's buffoonery. It just looks like a load of toys.
    Space battle - more jokey antics. I don't expect blood and guts but these battles have no sense of danger or tension or excitement.

That's how I feel. For me TPM does not get better as the years pass , it gets worse.

g

16. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    I feel for TPM strongly today as I did in 1999. This movie ROCKED and still does.

Exactly. I love 98% of this film, and its just a great movie. I love the story, the characters, pretty much everything. There are a few slight things that I wasn't fond of, but they're so small it does not hurt my enjoyment of the film in any way.

17. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    "What's wrong with the Jedi Council scenes? This can't all be explosions and lasers, there has to be a story to all of this, and exposition scenes, while less exiting, are neccesary to the overall substance of the film."

There is no story to it and feel to the scenes. The Jedi Council is wasted and shown to be stupid and lazy. Nothing but wasted potential, like the rest of the film.

18. Alomanuma_Topha

Jan 2, 2004
    "1. Finding out darth vader built C3PO. As long as Lucas doesn't take Alomanuma_Topha's
    advice to add the scene where Vader senses 3PO on the Death Star, I don't see the problem with this."

Putting that scene in would only point out to the audience how rife with stupid coincidence the sw universe has evolved.

"Oh, they liked that Vader was Luke's father??? Well then... how about this: Leia is Luke's sister!!! and... ummm... let's see... darth vader built C3PO!!! and the storm troopers are clones of... ummm... what's another popular character(?)... I know, Boba Fett!!! I'm a genius!"
    - Fake GL quote

"2. Midichlorians in no way explain nor do they de-spiritualize the Force. Midichlorian counts only show a great predisposition to being able to manipulate the Force. How powerful they are in the Force is up to how well they train."

It doesn't say that in the movie. It just states that the more midiclorians you have, the more force power you have. Interesting speculation though.

"3. What's wrong with the Jedi Council scenes? This can't all be explosions and lasers, there has to be a story to all of this, and exposition scenes, while less exiting, are neccesary to the overall substance of the film."

I never said anything about explosions or lasers. And the scenes aren't 'less exciting'... they're BORING! So exposition has to be boring? Some of the best scenes in the OT are exposition.

"4. When anakin and padme have their moment on the trip to Coruscant, they weren't supposed to have romantic chemistry, Padme was a sorrogate mother for Anakin. It all ties into his obsession with not letting things go."

Fair enough... was still BORING though.

"5. When that animal farts right in jar jar's face, I genuinely thought it was funny."

Fart scenes tend to be a matter of opinion. Some like fart scenes and some don't. Personally, I hope Lucas adds a bunch of fart scenes to the definitive edition cuz clearly star wars need more of them to accommodate today's fart scene obsessed audience.

19. The_Nameless_One

The_Nameless_One Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    Episode I still rocks the world every time I see it.

20. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    9 months on from my previous post here, and I still love TPM.

I'm not saying it doesn't have flaws, everything in existance does. But TPM still refreshes the parts other movies don't reach, to wildly paraphrase an old beer slogan.

21. Alomanuma_Topha

Jan 2, 2004
    "But TPM still refreshes the parts other movies don't reach"

yeah... fart jokes.

22. SkottASkywalker

Jan 3, 2002
    STAR WARS EPISODE I: THE PHANTOM MENACE

Great movie. Great start to the Saga. [face_mischief]

23. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    yeah... fart jokes.

There were what, two crap/fart jokes that lasted about 3 seconds each? How can something like that ruin the whole freakin film? The rest of the film is still great. Just ignore it and move on. Its not like they do them the whole movie or anything.

24. PloKloon1138

PloKloon1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 5, 2001
    There is no story to [the Jedi Council scenes].

Now, Jedi_Learner, I realize you've gone through this whole "I hate the PT" epiphany, and more power to you. But I gotta disagree with you on this. These scenes deal with Anakin's training as a Jedi Knight...and I must say, it's a pretty integral part of the story.

25. SkottASkywalker

Jan 3, 2002
    and I must say, it's a pretty integral part of the story.

Obviously true.

:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.