main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit What do you think will happen to the EU in 2015?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by wild_karrde, Jan 4, 2014.

?

What do you think will happen to the EU in 2015?

1. Complete reset, all existing EU wiped out

22 vote(s)
    21.6%
  2. Some EU will survive, but most post-ROTJ will not

65 vote(s)
    63.7%
  3. New EU will be created for the movies while current will continue to exist as an AU

10 vote(s)
    9.8%
  4. Everything will somehow work out so the EU stays canon

5 vote(s)
    4.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    This isn't about what you HOPE will happen, but what you honestly think will happen.

2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I imagine some is already guaranteed to survive, kudos to... the TCW/Rebels team, of all things. The Inquisitors and Sienar Fleet Systems are already confirmed as the show's villains, and we'll probably be seeing things like Phindians and Black Sun showing up again.

Dave Filoni might be our new EU overlord. Good grief.

3. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Honestly, since the Disney acquisition and the announcement of Ep. VII, I thought that almost everything after ROTJ will be heavily retconned or more likely reset completely. It's the only way for making room for brand new stories set post ROTJ. For the things pre-ROTJ, I don't think there is a need to reset anything, but I expect some changes there as well. The only eras I think it would be stupid for Disney/Marvel to tamper with is the DOTJ, TOTJ and KOTOR. Those eras are loved dearly by fans (and casual SW enthusiasts) for a long time, erasing them would be a big mistake. Expanding on them (without retcons) is what I'd love to see.

4. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
  5. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    If they don't make any official announcements about the EU I think that there's some point in the New Republic era at which you have to erase everything to do with the Big 3 or the galactic situation. I think that point will be somewhere in Courtship-Thrawn-line.

What will be interesting is that Thrawn for example would be canon because of the pre-ROTJ stories he's in, but his big campaign would not happen (unless it's in films. But he would have to sing)

Jedi Prince will stay canon because it can't be any more contractive to the new Post-ROTJ as it was to the old before retcons. And Waru will stay canon because his spirit is in everything.

6. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    [​IMG]

EECHUUTA and SiouxFan like this.
  7. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Finally someone is bringing it up!

Anyway, I rather wonder what will happen with this forum in 2015.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  8. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    We will properly get to close the Lit Board because there won't be any new stuff that is not just movie tie-ins.

9. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I just wanna know what's going to happen to the post FOTJ stuff, there's still more stories to be told. And I feel like there's a lot more that can be done with the character Allana.

10. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    Men in mouse masks will come to every single one of our houses, break in, and burn all existing EU material.

To be serious, I think they will do an EU reset so as to not scare away anyone who sees Ep. VII and would be scared away by the mountains of books, comics, etc.

11. Shira_French_Cheese

Shira_French_Cheese Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2010
    I'm a positive thinker, and what I think will happen is that old stories will be preserved, but will involve lots retcons, blatant overwrites, reshuffling, compressing, blog posts, and lots of frustrated posts by people on Lit who can't take it anymore.

12. Corax78

Corax78 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 2, 2008
    For me this is hard to answer with the choices given in the poll so I will list what I think will happen with the current EU.

1. In terms of comics: pay close attention to what Marvel/Disney does. If Dark Horse's back catalog remains unpurchased Marvel is going for a brand new era of EU.

1a. A partial purchase. If a few comic series are purchased we know part of what still counts. For example if DotJ is purchased we will most likely see that continue at Marvel at some point. If the numerous Vader minis are purchased this could create a problem. We know that there is some sort Darth Vader TV thing out there somewhere, so if that changes the comics don't expect them to be brought forward too soon.

1b. I almost fully expect the TOR comics to be purchased, simply because EA is still dropping new content for the game. Incidentally TOR could influence the future of DotJ as well, considering that DotJ works as a prequel to the game.

2. What happens with the novels. I know that Kevin Hearne's Luke novel is slated for January 2015, but I don't know when DR's contract is up.

2a. If the novels move to Hyperion. Expect an almost complete wipe out of the current EU. To an extent this has happened with the Scholastic young readers novels. The Rebels stuff is coming from Disney books now over Scholastic.

3. The Clone Wars. I fully expect to see an 'OFFICIAL' continuation of TCW in some form. Now whatever happens with this it will carry forward. But it will be very interesting to see WHO gets to do the continuation.

So those are some things to take in to consideration as time passes. It still doesn't fully answer the question but it will help as we move forward.

13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The post ROTJ stuff gone, Everything else from DOTJ up to ROTJ running the risk of getting ret-conned. Wouldn't surprise me if they did change everything. Also 3rd continuity for the Clone Wars.

14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Nah, we'll just fill it with readalong threads for all of the old EU.

15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    And Fleet Junkie debates. Can't see those ever going away. :)

16. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    So would the boards be split into pre-2015 and 2015 onwards sections like with the movies or like the Community board where there are like 5 different type of thread topics to choose from?

17. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I will not let this forum which has stood for fifteen years to be split in two.

18. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Where else will we go to argue about Karen Traviss?

windu4, Mange, beccatoria and 3 others like this.
  19. SiouxFan

SiouxFan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 6, 2012
    ^^^Or Jacen?

If the powers-that-are have any sense…they'll just start over. Sure some of us will gripe, but we're already doing that...

20. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I think there are some things that could feasibly survive...TOR-era stuff is almost guaranteed, so KOTOR, Knight Errant, DOTJ, etc. are almost certain. Then any Clone Wars-era EU is almost certainly safe too, because if it hasn't been rendered non-canon by TCW by now, it probably never will. Dark Times stuff is probably safe, so anything like Coruscant Nights, the DT comics, and the other stuff in early pre-ANH is probably safe. The Han Solo and Lando Calrissian books are probably safe unless they flat-out change them with spinoff movies or Disney or Marvel-released stuff. Then anything between 0-3 ABY is probably fine, and so is SOTE. And as for post ROTJ stuff...as Lugija said, Jedi Prince is a certain stay. :p

The X-Wing series is almost certainly safe, as is anything not directly tied to the Big 3, like Shadow Games or Death Star. Truce at Bakura is close enough to ROTJ to be safe...but once you get to Courtship you're probably pushing it, and by the Thrawn Trilogy, and anything after, you're definitely treading non-canon due to the birth of Jacen and Jaina. So I'd wager anything up to TTT is safe, and everything after is non-canon.

spicer likes this.
  21. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    What I would like to see happen: two separate continuities, the current one and a different one that is movies only with some tie-ins (much the same way the Marvel universe is now with the movies separate from the comics).

What I actually expect to see happen: total reset of everything outside of the movies and Clone Wars / Rebels completely ignored, and a brand new EU created.

22. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    (Does Leland Chee still post here? We should get his opinion :p ;) )

23. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Reboot followed by a far more conservative and corporate creation.

24. Endor_boy

Endor_boy Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 24, 2013
    Two separate novels lines sounds like it would be too confusing to anybody but the hardcore people. I want the EU to continue, with a soft reboot/retcon where needed. The next generation of the Solo/Skywalker kids in the movies are probably going to be completely different from the EU. I expect we'll get a total hard reboot. I hope if that happens that the range is allowed to go out with a bang at least.
    I wouldn't rule out the EU doing some kind of in continuity retcon, time travel changing the post RTOJ history. That's probably the only way that would keep the EU in any way, short of tptb actually respecting the EU and making use of it's rich history.

25. Maul95

Maul95 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 6, 2013
    All the Post-ROTJ erased except for the Jedi Prince series, pure trolling [face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.