main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit What do you think will happen to the EU in 2015?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by wild_karrde, Jan 4, 2014.

?

What do you think will happen to the EU in 2015?

1. Complete reset, all existing EU wiped out

22 vote(s)
    21.6%
  2. Some EU will survive, but most post-ROTJ will not

65 vote(s)
    63.7%
  3. New EU will be created for the movies while current will continue to exist as an AU

10 vote(s)
    9.8%
  4. Everything will somehow work out so the EU stays canon

5 vote(s)
    4.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    His involvement is that he gave his original treatments to Disney. How much the ST diverges from those is up to the writers. And Lucas isn't involved in Rebels at all, nor do I think that he put stuff from his treatments for a ST into TCW, and if he did it's not some massive tie-in. He didn't take Ahsoka out of his ST treatment to put in TCW.

2. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    But in regards to the ST, that is more than zero involvement. [face_beatup]

3. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    It's not an active involvement. Even if he didn't write the treatments or they weren't used, you could argue he had more that zero involvement because he created the characters.

4. son_of_skywalker03

Dec 7, 2003
    Now you're getting it! :p

5. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    Would anyone beside me feel that if the EU was retconned it would detract from the quality of EU books?

6. windu4

windu4 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2008
    What quality?

7. CommanderDrenn

Oct 19, 2013
    Can't tell if trolling or serious, but I will answer anyway.
    I would go into the read thinking: Well, whatever in here really doesn't count to Star Wars continuity.
    But I've always been OCD about such things.

8. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    It looked to me like nothing more than an opinion.

9. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    It would prove that LFL, or at the very least Disney, is only in it for the money not the art. If LFL can't respect the EU enough to continue that story and can't realize the post-NJO was a massive disaster that needs to be fixed, then I really don't care what they do. Lucas showed that only "his" art matters, especially with TCW, even he is a filmmaker with a lot of other people contributing to "his" art.

10. CommanderDrenn

Oct 19, 2013
    No, no -I was honestly not sure whether he was being sarcastic are not. Let's get back to the topic, though.

11. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Generally corporations aren't in it for the art.

And by generally I mean always.

12. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    If you want insights, into LFL's plans going forward, these are must reads, and the forcecast, interview, with Pablo, and Leland, is quite educarional, and Clubjade has a great article, as does lightsaberrattling

http://www.slashfilm.com/lawrence-k...k-star-wars-episode-vii-and-standalone-films/

http://lightsaberrattling.com/binding-the-galaxy-together-a-look-at-the-lucasfilm-story-group/

http://www.forcecast.net/story/home/ForceCast_273_The_Galaxy_Is_Reading_154431.asp

http://clubjade.net/?p=54518

13. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    If say Thrawn or Pestage showed up in Rebels, would that increase the chances of some parts of the current EU being 'recycled'?

14. son_of_skywalker03

Dec 7, 2003
    I'd say contrarian more than sarcastic.

15. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I find it curious that the announcement that LucasFilm and Disney were doing a sequel trilogy was not viewed as necessarily damning to the Expanded Universe continuity, but the announcement that Marvel comics was going to take over the license in 2015 is being taken as precisely that. Do people really think there's a better chance that Episode VII stars Jaina Solo and Ben Skywalker, than there is that Marvel would make comics of them? And not only that, but that Marvel would demand a reboot?

Didn't Marvel put Mara Jade in one of its comics last year?

darklordoftech likes this.
  16. son_of_skywalker03

Dec 7, 2003
    There were those that argued that very thing. I could be wrong, but I viewed the opinions on the matter rather split.

The first issue, I believe (I'll have to re-check if it's not), of the event Infinity:
    [​IMG]

17. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    It just seems like a foregone conclusion now, whereas before the announcement it wasn't.

18. son_of_skywalker03

Dec 7, 2003
    Well I, personally, don't see it completely as a foregone conclusion. However, I don't exactly have a good feeling about it.

19. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I am not worried about Marvel, I am worried about LFL and Disney, because Marvel will follow the leader.

TrandoJedi and darklordoftech like this.
  20. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I get the impression that people maybe had the hope that so long as Dark Horse had the license, DH would keep the existing EU continuity alive, and now that Marvel will be getting it, there's no one that will keep the current continuity in print with new material.

darklordoftech likes this.
  21. Endor_boy

Endor_boy Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 24, 2013
    I wasn't really aware of people thinking Marvel was the bigger threat to the EU. I've barely given that a thought. I think it's pretty obvious that the new movies are going to contradict the EU hard, especially with the next generation of Solo/Skywalker kids. Marvel is far more likely to follow the movie's lead, with stories focused on whatever the movies are doing plus the original trilogy. I read that the first comics coming out of Marvel were a general Star Wars comics, and two spin off titles, one starring Luke and one starring Han and they were all set between ANH and ESB. That doesn't seem all that threatening to the EU at all.

22. Max Nocerino

Max Nocerino Jedi Knight star 1

May 22, 2013
    Everything gone. NOOOOOOOOOO

23. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    From clubjade, talking about this forecast
    http://www.forcecast.net/story/home/ForceCast_273_The_Galaxy_Is_Reading_154431.asp
    http://clubjade.net/?p=54518

Pablo Hidalgo and Leland Chee talk ‘Story Group’ on the ForceCast

October 6th, 2013 by Dunc · 2 Comments

The latest ForceCast celebrated Star Wars Reads Day with a big slate of interviews.
    The Pablo Hidalgo and Leland Chee interview starts at 0:46. They discuss what they’re reading, their first Star Wars reads, how they started at Lucasfilm, the evolution of their jobs and killing Yaddle.
    There’s an interesting bit at about the hour part on the Holocron, where Leland admits that the biggest misconception about the Holocron continuity database is that “People overemphasize the importance of the canon levels.” You don’t say.
    But for anyone curious about what’s going on with the ‘Story Group,’ the discussion begins at about 1:05. It began as an initiative from Kathleen Kennedy, Pablo says, as it’s her philosophy that “creativity leads.” They declined to out some of the other members – folks who might not be familiar to us yet, apparently.
    They won’t say anything about Episode VII, naturally, but Pablo does say that the story group is meant as a “bridge” to the “all-new storytelling going forward.” What’s coming up will be more interconnected than what we’ve seen previously.
    As for tie-in literature for the new movies: “That’s definitely part of it,” Leland says. “Everything, every new fiction is going to be part of it,” he says, going on to mention video games and books.
    “All these forms of story going forward, each one of them can be an entry point” for new fans, says Pablo, so it’s their goal to make them meaningful.
    Also: 1:15: Lucasfilm, why are you not jumping on Mary’s Bar Guide? MARY’S BAR GUIDE. Damn it.
    Timothy Zahn appears at 1:17 and talks about his ideas for ‘the Maestro trilogy’ that ties up a few of his own lose ends and a transition novel from the EU to the sequel trilogy.
    And Aaron Allston shows up at 1:48 to talk about his experiences on the X-Wing, New Jedi Order, Legacy of the Force and Fate of the Jedi novels plus his idea for an X-Wing TV series. He also speaks out for keeping the EU going as a parallel universe.

24. EECHUUTA

EECHUUTA Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2007
    I voted "Some EU will survive, but most post-ROTJ will not."

I think some names and places will survive, and any EU that is on the peripheral edges and not directly involving the Big Three. Some of the very early post-ROTJ stuff with the Big Three might survive, but I can easily see the rest of it getting declared Infinities.

The new movies (I'm already thinking of them as D-Canon or Disney-Canon) will quite likely cut a broad swath through most of the existing EU.

25. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    For the love of god, please give us an X-Wing and Tie-Fighter show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.