main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What do you think?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Benny_Blanco, Aug 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benny_Blanco

Benny_Blanco Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2002
    I was just replying to a post about TPM, and thinking about how I don`t really mind Jar-Jar`s antics in it now, even find them quite funny - and it suddenly struck me, how INCONSISTENT is this film with the rest of the PT in that Jar-Jar, who has a MASSIVE part in TPM foesn`t even feature(for the most part) in the rest of the PT? I know that it`s down to GL bowing to heavy criticism, but does that not seem like an enormous inconsistency? We get a couple of scenes in AOTC (one of which is admittedly very important, and then NOTHING in ROTS).

Strilo edit: We have a Jar Jar discussion thread listed in the forum index. Please use it.

2. LordRevan19

LordRevan19 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 26, 2005
    Yeah, I was wondering about that too, but I think GL heard what everybody said about Jar-Jar and didn't give him a big part.

Good Stuff

3. Benny_Blanco

Jul 21, 2002

Yeah, ok i can understand GL bowing to the heavy criticism, but it just makes TPM seem abit ridiculous! Imagine Chewie having such a big role in ANH, and then NOTHING after that in ESB and ROTJ - wouldn`t that seem a bit stupid?

4. Darth_Sheba

Darth_Sheba Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 28, 2003
    Inconsistent? Not really. If you don't need a character, don't use him. Or, worse, try and shoehorn them in somewhere.

5. Benny_Blanco

Jul 21, 2002

But my point is, such a BIG role in TP, and then...nothing after that.

6. Darth_Sheba

Feb 28, 2003
    I'm always being told GL did the story the way he wanted to do it. Why question this?

7. Benny_Blanco

Jul 21, 2002

Because GL admitted he "played down" Jar-Jar after the criticism of TPM.

8. Darth_Sheba

Feb 28, 2003
    And that's a bad thing?

Or would you have prefered he make that change because his "vision" dictated it?

9. Benny_Blanco

Jul 21, 2002

Darth_Sheba, don`t you thin it seema bit strange when watching them in order that JJ has NO role after TPM?

10. Darth_Sheba

Feb 28, 2003
    No, not at all. You got to be consistent, but not to the point to sticking things in simply because it would look funny not to see them. Jar-Jar doesn't strike me as being so important he has to be seen everywhere else. He supposedly served his purpose in TPM, and GL made the decision not to have him pop up so much in the future.

11. Estaban

Estaban Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 19, 2005
    What role should Jar Jar have played in AotC? He got amnipulated into voting for the Chancellor to have emergancy powers. What elese did he need to do? Go on another adventure with Anakin? Maybe be Anakin's co pilot in the Coursant chase or help the Jedi in the Geonosis arena?

Lucas might have cut the amount of time Jar Jar would have been on screen because of"vocal bitching but there wasn't anything for Jar Jar to do in AotC. His part of the story was over. There was no need for Jar Jar in AotC or RotS.

12. mynameismyown

mynameismyown Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2005
    i think jar jar served his purpose story wise in tpm. besides none of the characters in all the PT have much character besides anakin. so it doesnt matter since anakin got good screen time in tpm

13. Jedi_Master_Eric

Jedi_Master_Eric Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 14, 2005
    I can't help but feel that Jar-Jar has no story arc. Its as if he's introduced in TPM (heavily, for that matter); then we get to AOTC and ROTS and his character just stays suspended in the air from where we left off in TPM. To complete his story arc would have been simple. Even a shot of him after Palpatine declares the Republic an Empire, looking scared, concerned, or even giving a tear would at least symbolize the death of innocence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.