main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What do you use to generate planets for your films?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by swmaster, Aug 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swmaster

swmaster Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 16, 2001
    I have been looking for a program or method that makes photorealistic planets. Please share your methods.

SWmaster

2. andalite

andalite Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 29, 2002
    they have some good planets over at sci-fi 3d. I find them to be very realistic.

3. Darth_Jerak

Darth_Jerak Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2002
    I model the sphere in Lightwave. Then I paint an image map, or generate one with this plugin that I've got. Then project it onto the model.

There my photorealistic planet.

-Kol.

4. Master_Jedi_David

Master_Jedi_David Jedi Youngling star 2

May 24, 2002
    How do you do it in Max 4? Anyone know?

5. tumblemoster

tumblemoster Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2000
    My best friend the planetmaker is called Lunar Cell from Flaming Pear Software. This baby makes some beautiful 2d planets. Combined with Glitterato and Solar cell you can build your entire 2d texture environment with a few clicks of the mouse.

-tm

6. BrentK7

BrentK7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    magic

7. Rikalonius

Rikalonius Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2001
    Go to the SciFi3D page and look at the planet texture maps for Naboo, Coruscant, Tatooine, and Dagobah. There is also tutorials for Lightwave and 3D max. I used the basics of the tutorial to do it in Imagine, before I got into lightwave, so I'm sure you duplicate the process in Maya or whatever your using.

It is simply a matter of have a couple of spheres and using good maps. Bump map, color map, and highlight maps etc..

8. Pixelito

Pixelito Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    i usually start with an infinitely dense cloud of gases and dust and then wield my godlike powers of creation to form the gases and dust into a planet. by altering the levels of the different gases and dust, I can configure the balance of elements that exist on the planet. i can do it all, watery planets, forest planets, snowy planets, anything. its pretty cool. takes about 7 days.

9. Kingleonard

Kingleonard Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 18, 2002
    Saves on rendering times as well I'm guessing. ;)

10. Rikalonius

Rikalonius Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2001
    God must have had a great system to render it all in seven days.

11. Arfour_Peeseventeen

Arfour_Peeseventeen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    My best friend the planetmaker is called Lunar Cell from Flaming Pear Software

Lunar Cell is quite a beautiful program with a short rendering time. :) I love it's ability to create a wide variety of planets. You can get a 15 day demo at their website, I think. :)

12. mpfjr

mpfjr Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 8, 2001
    To create a photorealistic 3D planet in Max is easy but takes a bit of time.

I have the best tutorial site bookmarked at home so I'll have to post it later. Or ask PixelMagic for the link. He is the one that gave it to me.

In the mean time, go out on the net and find the highest resolution images of the earth viewed from space you can find. Also get some that are just clouds. This process is a 3 layer effect. Actually, three spheres.

13. muphicks

muphicks Jedi Master star 2

Aug 20, 2001
    hehe my advice try and try and try and try and keep at it..

This is what I started out making,

[image=http://www.mups.co.uk/~muphicks/downloads/PlanetMaking.jpg]

then this

[image=http://www.mups.co.uk/~muphicks/downloads/Attempt2.jpg]

and finally ended up with this.

[image=http://www.mups.co.uk/~muphicks/downloads/Attempt3.jpg]

The first one was done by myself, the 2nd and 3rd were done via tutorials I found on the net. Although the third one is done via a tutorial, I've also done various changes to get it more how I want it.

I can't find the link off hand. But I'll have a search through my other machine for you later.

I'm sure I searched on google for something like "3d photorealistic planet tutorial"

Anyhow if I can dig it out I'll post it for you.

14. mpfjr

mpfjr Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 8, 2001
    Yah, that is the same tutorial I have at home.

15. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    My best friend the planetmaker is called Lunar Cell from Flaming Pear Software. This baby makes some beautiful 2d planets. Combined with Glitterato and Solar cell you can build your entire 2d texture environment with a few clicks of the mouse.

I just checked out that software and it is awesome!! I was using Lightwave and Bryce for planets but it just takes a long time with both of them. I wish I had known about this software a while ago.

16. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
  17. GizmoMkI

GizmoMkI Jedi Youngling

Jul 6, 2002
    Tumblemoster, thanks for that link on LunarCell. It really makes some beautiful worlds.

18. borjis fett

borjis fett Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 25, 1999
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.