main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What do YOU use to represent movement/combat?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Gesh_Bomil, Mar 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gesh_Bomil

Gesh_Bomil Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002
    Just wondering what everyone uses for the PC's and NPC's to interact with each other. I use the SW micromachines dudes stuck with mactac on pennies. For the board i use a dry erase Chessex roll-up mat. The micromachines vehicles (any line) also work for props as well as HO train scale stuff.

For individual tools, the players also pick an action figure from my collection to have in frount of them to introduce themselves to others in new games. I also use them to introduce new NPC's (anything from GI Joe or the plethora of other fig lines work too).

Any other ideas out there?

Gesh

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    For the board i use a dry erase Chessex roll-up mat.

These things are THE BOMB. :cool:

Or, in this setting, the THERMAL DETONATOR!

We've recently switched. We now use LEGO mini-figs, though I was far, far, FAR more partial to the Micro-Machines. It was all a matter of finding one with a large base, thus not needing anything to make it stand upright.

For the battle-mats, we usually use a lexan shield over and dry erase on that, rather than the board. Sometimes we also use a paper-square map under lexan, depending on who's hosting.

3. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jansons_Funny_Twin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Years ago, our GM looked everywhere for the perfect table cloth withone inch squares. That's our board.

I use 2 things for me. One is a small figurine, and the other is a Gundam Model to represent my Mobile Suit.

4. EwokSlayer01

EwokSlayer01 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 7, 2003
    In our game we utilize what appears to be board pieces from "SORRY"

5. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Pen and paper. Yeah, a purist :cool:

6. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Star Wars Micro Machines. Some action fleet stuff is to scale, and the Millenium Falcon playset is so perfect. I've got a customised Jedi I'm itching to use for a New Republic Game - MM Ki-Adi-Mundi body with MM SotE Dash Rendar's head. Brilliant stuff - if I could get a picture up here I would.

Heck, I might as well plug a friend of a friend's page as well - these are his WEG Star Wars minis: Rob's Minis Page. Rob is often on "Hot Mini Or Not" and wins a variety of tournaments in Australia.

E_S

7. Tremaniac

Tremaniac Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Man, I just use extra Character Sheet 3000s. Or if it's a really long stretch, this bit of Laminated 20'x3' graph paper we used to use for AutoDuels.

8. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    I also play D&D, so just I use the Chessex grid map and my D&D figs. from that game. I did do some modifications to a samurai fig. for my Jedi.

9. Idiots Array

Idiots Array Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 3, 2000
    My old gaming group used to make up custom character tokens using images from various comic books scanned, cropped to 1" square, and printed onto posterboard. The 'heads' side of the token featured the character image and the 'tails' side had a big red "X" over the character image for use when the character had been knocked unconcious/killed.

My current group uses dice to represent each character.

10. Jacen13

Jacen13 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 17, 2002
    I use microsoft Exel and print up sheets with one inch square boxes on it. I use a pen to draw the current scenario on it, though if I can find a RPing group I might cough up the dough for a dry erase board. I never thought of using micromachines. I have enough of them.

11. Gesh_Bomil

Gesh_Bomil Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002
    Well, that's what this forum is for. So that everyone can get ideas to represent their characters in their games to enhance the experience. All ideas are sound and use things at hand which is what the whole "imagination" in RPG's is all about. Nobody has a complete set of vehicles/figures and a big enough checkerboard to have everyone be exactly authentic. Those SW miniatures they are making look nice but my word are they expensive. There was a thread about Wizkids SW a while back that intregued me though...

Gesh

12. darth-jiggady

darth-jiggady Jedi Youngling

Feb 14, 2003
    We use my small collection of micromachine star wars figures and ships.

Im sure that lego's would be easier for situations in which you would be representing your heros in melee combat. But for space encounters the micromachines work really good.

Thanks for the link to the starwars micromachine site. I am just wondering if they are still in circulation at stores, like walmart, or have most places stopped carrying them?

13. Ping

Ping Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 23, 1998
    My first GM had a hex board and figurines. I make do with pen and paper. I'm not a purist, just poor. :)

I also have a hard time thinking of other things besides a straight shoot-out to make combat more interesting. And space combat is the worst. Gives me a headache. I'm sure there must be a faster, more cinematic way to do it, but darned if I know what it is! (I resorted for one game to giving the player in the X-wing a custom X-Wing mission for her to fly, because it was supposed to be cool, dang it!)

14. Jacen13

Aug 17, 2002
    The michromachines, I just discovered, are great if you're using them for starfighter combat, but it'll take a little doing to make it work with space transport and Capital ships.

15. Fanboy_Solo

Fanboy_Solo Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 7, 2001
    I use the big graph from the Invasion of Naboo game, and the one from the GM Screen. For characters, we tried figures, but it takes way too long to sort over 500 figures after I take 20 or so out for a game. Now we use printed tokens, which are much easier and do not make the visuals the most important aspect of the game.

16. Silver-Blade

Silver-Blade Jedi Youngling

Mar 1, 2003
    What r those Chessex boards?

17. Jacen13

Aug 17, 2002
    I've seen them. They are about $30 at my hobbey shop, and are vinyl, which I think can be written on w/ dry erase marker. They also have a massive $98 board.

18. Fingorfin

Fingorfin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2001
    Yes, those things are great. We use that along with fantasy minis in our current D&D games. We did not have the board during our last Star Wars campaign, so we used pen and paper to deal with combat, but we will certainly be using it in our next game.

19. Silver-Blade

Silver-Blade Jedi Youngling

Mar 1, 2003
    I use the paper board that came with the GM screen.

20. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Jacen, the vehicles are good, but scale can be a problem. I tend to use the figures more. One other thing I found was that some action fleet vehicles are in a good scale - eg Slave 1, and the odd die-cast too (the Gian Speeder from Episode 1). Otherwise, if you have some WEG minis action fleet figs are to scale.

E_S

21. Fanboy_Solo

Fanboy_Solo Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 7, 2001
    Since most of us in our group are not able to buy all those miniatures, we try using little tokens sometimes with some sort of graphical representation of the setting.

22. Jacen13

Aug 17, 2002
    Are the WEG minitures avalible any more?

23. yodaismygod

yodaismygod Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2002
    Well the WEG are available to an extent. Meaning you have to find a comic book store that didn't sell them all.

24. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I generally use a figureine that at least somewhat resembles what character I'm playing. Although, one time I forgot to bring it to my gaming session and ended up using a cheeseball.

25. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    When the WEG game came out, they also did a grid-based space combat system called Star Warriors. It used illustrated carboard chits that are perfectly to scale for the d20 system. There are chits for X-Wings, Y-Wings, TIE Fighters, Bombers, Interceptors, Advanced, A-Wings, B-Wings, YT-1300's, Kuat 31's (Slave I), Star Destroyers, Mon Cal Cruisers, and asteroids.

Depending on the scope of the combat, an X-Wing or TIE chit (for example) can represent either a single fighter or a formation of however many fighters. That also comes in really handy when using the "starfighter as battery fire" rules for d20.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.