main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit What do you want and don't want to see in the new EU?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by SatineNaberrie, Mar 14, 2015.

1. smoothkaz

smoothkaz Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 25, 2014
    Want to see
    Ahsoka vs Vader
    Ahsoka dying -not by Vader's hand directly, but still because of him
    Ventress in the OT era
    Thrawn
    A time before the movies when the Sith had conquered the Galaxy
    Leia showing Force sensitivity and using her abilities, but not understanding what had happened
    Shira Brie
    The state of the Trade Federation after the Clone Wars
    Luke discovering Holo footage of his father and Obi-Wan during the Clone Wars or in action
    More on Tarkin and Vader's relationship
    Jaxxon
    More focus on early Rebels who aren't Force users, especially Bail and Mon Mothma
    Stormtroopers portrayed as efficient, tough, and well-traind
    The details of the seven lightsaber forms re-canonized
    Mace and shatterpoints

Don't want to see
    Vader having any apprentices
    Ventress being part of the Rebellion- she should remain neutral to the war and want nothing to do with it
    Luke lightsaber sparring with Yoda
    Maul in the OT era
    Boba Fett being a Mary Sue

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I want :

to see variety. Not "Everyone is morally the same" - but kind and compassionate people, cruel people, and varying degrees of kindness and cruelty.

I don't want:

the OT undermined completely - a "Palpatine was the real hero all along - and the rebels were wrong to rebel" story.

3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    That is Tycho and Winter?

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    -Don't want
    Jedi/Sith/The Force/Lightsabers all the time
    Obi-Wan and Vader meeting between ROTS and ANH.
    Maul being alive for OT and beyond

-Do want
    Villain vareity
    Villains without the Force
    Character variety
    Zayne Carrick like Jedi
    Ancient Sith Wars.

5. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    SW characters have never been treated morally the same but action wise they are pretty close.

6. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I want to see other Force Orders aside from Jedi and Sith!

Gamiel likes this.
  7. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I guess I should do this:
    [​IMG]
    James Earl Jones saying Snips
    Massive characterization retcons like we saw in the EU, either direct or indirect (e.g. Jacen, Barriss, Vergere)
    Mutations in continuity where details are wildly distorted, e.g. cortosis starting off as a really brittle metal in VOTF and then being super strong and used for armor and difficult to mine in PoD

Do Want
    Stories in which characterization and mythology are synergistic (see: OT, Dark Forces II, Dark Empire, NJO)
    More stories like Mortis, Yoda's arc, Path of the Jedi, Traitor, TUF, etc. (sorry anakinfansince1983 :( )

One of the things I've wanted to see for years is a Starkiller - Luke post-ROTJ team up story. I don't really expect the character to appear in nucanon, but I also like that sort of redemption story, a reverse Darth Vader where the character starts as a Sith and "falls to the light side" and becomes a Jedi, so I would want to see such a character in nucanon, not necessarily a Sith per se, but a bad guy, or even morally gray, Jedi type character that becomes good. The fact that the character is a Jedi allows for that "spiritual journey" angle of storytelling that you don't get with other morally gray characters like Han Solo.

darskpine10 likes this.
  8. Fruit Pastilles

Fruit Pastilles Jedi Master star 3

Dec 21, 2014
    Wants:
    1. A book from the Imperial side of things, possibly about a group of stormtroopers such as the 501st similar to the Umbara or Rookies arc from The Clone Wars. All we know about stormtroopers is that they are ruthless, killing machines, but that's from the Rebel's perspective. I want to see how they feel about the war and fighting for the Empire. Maybe we could see how the surviving clones felt about everything, and what it was like to see most of their brothers dead or being replaced by volunteers.
    2. Revan. I'm currently playing KotOR for the first time and it's a shame how a character like Revan is now non-canon. He was so close to being canonized as well in the Clone Wars show, but was later taken out. I think it could open up the possibility for a KotOR III, especially if they just recapped the events of KotOR I and II, but with their own new canon spin on it to match up with the rest of the new EU, as well as Jedi Revan pre-KotOR. Luceno could do a good job I think.
    3. A series of books or comics chronicling the relationship and adventures of Obi-Wan and Padawan learner Anakin between TPM and AOTC. It could be similar to the old Jedi-Padawan books written by Jude Watson.
    4. Ahsoka vs. Vader in Rebels. That would be pretty emotional, especially if Vader is forced to kill Ahsoka. I think this has to be done in Rebels and Rebels only. Reading it in a book wouldn't have the same effect for me.
    5. Dooku. I think Dooku is a very interesting character, and was under-used in the prequels. We should have seen him as a Jedi in TPM, and then it would've been more of a surprise to see the reveal of Dooku as Sidious' new apprentice. Another one I'd put in Luceno's hands.
    6. A new SW RPG game. There hasn't been one released in years, and now that they're partnered with EA, I'm hoping we get a fun, story-driven RPG similar to the old KotOR games. I heard that Bioware are developing one, so I'm praying they can make something good.
    Don't wants:
    1. An over-load of Jedi/Sith/Dark Jedi. I want to see all that the galaxy has to offer, such as smugglers, bounty hunters, pilots, gangsters, stormtroopers/clone troopers, Mandalorians, whatever. Force users aren't the only interesting people in the GFFA.
    2. Ridiculous stories such as the Yuuzhan Vong and Death Troopers. It's Star Wars, not Night of the Living Dead.
    3. Incidents that lessen the significance of certain movie scenes. We saw something similar with Marvel Star Wars #2, when Luke got in a lightsaber duel with Vader. Now for me, it didn't ruin ESB at all, but if they keep doing it, then it probably will. I hope that they don't do things very big in these type of stories and keep them subtle, but fun. In the old EU, we had **** like Dark Empire, that just completely ruined the whole ending of the OT. What's the point of all the celebrations and sacrifices in ROTJ if the Emperor is just going to come back multiple times even more powerful and turn Luke to the dark side. Again, keep it subtle.

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    DigitalMessiah : Traitor is awesome.

Let's see:

Do want--

--Lots of stories with great interaction among fun characters. Suspense. Villains using unique methods of doing evil (i.e. no more Force lightning, please. Nobody cares anymore). Pilots, ships, space battles. Humor. Lots of humor.

Do not want:

--stream of conscious stories in which the viewer is left wondering what the hell is really happening to the characters as opposed to what is happening in the midst of a lot of mind-****ery. If I see a duel in which a character falls to his death, the character needs to be really ****ing dead by the end of the episode. Which brings me to...

--Impossible resurrections. Nobody survives being blown up or bisected or digested in a sarlacc. The end.

--Preachy philosophy

10. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Wide variety of stories-Adventure, comedy, romance, horror, western-like, philosophical etc.
    Stories set pre-Republic and set decades/centuries after the movies.

11. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Where's the line that Traitor doesn't cross?

Force Smuggler likes this.
  12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Traitor is philosophy, but I took it as "life truths that most of us already understand" as opposed to "life truths that you, the reader, MUST believe or think about." Traitor did not ask me to buy into any life truth that I didn't already subscribe to, it just articulated those for me.

Or maybe it was just really well written. I remember being afraid I would not like Traitor because of the type of book it is, and ended up loving it despite what it is.

Regardless, I'd rather the NEU not attempt such a thing, because I don't think such an exception can happen twice.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  13. mxcp204

mxcp204 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 13, 2006
    Don't want:
    1. More villains with silly names like Savage Opress and Kallus
    2. Overuse of the Sith
    3. New characters who are basically old EU characters renamed
    4. Trying to shoehorn The Clone Wars and Rebels references into everything
    5. Characters from the prequels returning from the dead
    Want:
    1. A focus on the military aspect of the Star Wars Universe, not just Jedi vs Sith
    2. Exploration of the relationship between Palpatine and Vader
    3. Defined heroes and villains on both sides of the Galactic Civil War; not just Rebels good, Imperials bad
    4. Darth Bane and the rule of two
    5. A character study of Count Dooku
    6. Luke's training to become a Jedi between ESB and ROTJ

14. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    The heroes going to planets before they show up in the movies. Mustafar in TCW Season 2 and Utapau in the Anakin/Obi-Wan arc with the Bonus content before ROTS for example. Don't have the Empire be on Yavin 4 or Hoth before their movies. Rebels are going to have to find Hoth so fine on that one. No going to Endor before ROTJ for Rebels. No going to Naboo/Tatooine/Kamino/Geonosis etc for Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan/Anakin etc before the PT appearances.

spicer, Abadacus and darskpine10 like this.
  15. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Seeing as Lando is in Rebels, an episode on Cloud City would be nice eventually.

16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Since Lando "conned somebody out of it" - that would be nice.

Maybe even see him get the Falcon and lose it to Han?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    That works as well. Dooku on Geonosis is expected as well. Separatists on Mustafar is fine imo.

After their initial movies appearances they can go back. Geonosis in TCW/Mustafar in Rebels are fine imo.

darskpine10 likes this.
  18. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Someone is not on speaking terms with Joseph Campbell I see.

anakinfansince1983 and Gamiel like this.
  19. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Some of you guys suck, just plain suck. While I don't want only stories of jedi/sith, I do want more stories with the big three and well now everything is canon anyway so whatever they come out with is legit. Some of you are posting legends stuff which is apple and oranges. New canon is not going to honor any of those stories, but will mined the EU to fuel new canon. If you want to know what I don't want to see is the re-telling of the OT in various formats. Its getting out of hand

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

HOW COULD YOU WANT MORE?

I'm sorry to shout, but all we had was them well into their old age still behaving like 20 somethings.

If we got no stories with them and it upset a few of you deeply, good. Less Big Three, less Jedi/Sith. Be original, you hack writers, if you can.

21. Slater

Slater Jedi Master star 2

Oct 12, 2014
    Telling people they suck, for any reason really, but especially just because they mention things from legends they would like to see/have honored in the NEU is a thoroughly dickish thing to do.

Abadacus, StarLorrd, Vthuil and 2 others like this.
  22. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    vong333: The Dream of Stanley Milgram

23. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I have no need to be on speaking terms with Mr. Campbell. :p

I agree with Slater. Just because people want or are drawn to different aspects doesn't warrant name calling or snide remarks. It's old already.

24. H-BOMB

H-BOMB Jedi Master star 3

Feb 21, 2009
    Want:

- A Book or Comic series examining the splintering of the Mandalorians. All those awesome murals on Mandalore and the occasional snippets of history that we would get in the old TCW Episode Guides really excited me. So much potential for new characters and planets and ships and armor and Jedi and stuff. Maybe we could see a young swashbuckling Yoda?
    - A Book or Comic series looking at the wars between Jedi and Sith (1000) years ago that supposedly led to the formation of the Republic. (Not the reformation, I don't think that's a thing anymore, right?). Sure, we'll see Darth Bane again, but his design in the Yoda arc was so cool. Imagine huge archaic armies of Jedi and Sith clashing with each other on the desert mountains of Moraband. How awesome would that be?
    - Some Books or Comics filling in the rest of The Clone Wars. Especially the events leading up the Battle of Coruscant and all the military campaigns on the planets we glimpsed in RotS. I'm interested in what the original plan was before the cancellation.
    - Just tie up Darth Maul's story please. His resurrection was unnecessary and I just wish they would finish with him. The sooner the better.
    - Potentially some one-shot stories focusing on Obi-Wan's and Qui-Gon's apprenticeship. Obi-Wan's first encounter with Satine would be a good starting point. And some stories looking at Obi-Wan and Anakin's apprenticeship and maybe even Qui-Gon's and Count Dooku's?

Don't Want:

- Too much stuff filling in the OT timeline. Like, I get that there's a whole bunch of space and new(ish) stories to tell during this time but we've seen quite enough already.
    - A bunch of stuff on Darth Maul. Just finish it up.

Ambivalent:

- Stuff in between the OT and the ST. They're going to fill it in, I get that but eh, I just don't care all that much. I'd rather have Star Wars expand its timeline, preferably into the past. Even in the old EU there were still hundreds of years between 1000BBY and 0BBY where like, nothing was going on. So much potential to create a dense and rich history/mythology, especially pertaining to how the Jedi and Republic operated back then, and what threats they faced. Maybe the term "Jedi Knight" is archaic and comes from an older time where the Jedi were a lot more militaristic, and then they screwed up and back-scaled things to become kinda boring monks. Who knows?!?!

25. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

OK, so even though the Empire represents the evil villain that the Hero, on their journey, must topple and even though they engaged in a level of crime above genocide, they're not all evil because, I don't know, Peter Cushing or uniforms. Brilliant.