main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit What do you want and don't want to see in the new EU?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by SatineNaberrie, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    H-BOMB, I really like some of those suggestions.

2. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    exactly

3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Why people can't just admit they don't mind repressive fascism, I'll never know. Instead, we are made to feel like the Empire actually wasn't bad, just poorly misrepresented.

4. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    Look, as long as we have Kyle Katarn, the rest is gonna be fine.

Revanfan1 and whiskers like this.
  5. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    well it is more socially progressive than us now, apparently

6. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Than who, us?

Being more socially progressive than the US isn't hard, as most plants and vegetables are less unequal. But I mean, you look at Norway or Sweden, and yeah. "Us" needs to be defined.

7. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Why you!

9. Scrubbed

Scrubbed Jedi Master star 1

Feb 1, 2006
    Because most people do mind. Repressive fascism may make an excellent enemy in the short term but in the long term which I assume they want to milk it long term it just gets to be depressing. Lots of people read to escape and depressing isn't a great escape (While some may hope to glean some real world lessons from it chances are they are severely overestimating the author.)

10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

What? How is that justification for whitewashing the Empire then shoehorning it into something it's not?!

11. lookameatbag

lookameatbag Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2014
    Wants:

More Knights of the Old Republic
    New Sith Wars
    Darth Zannah
    Durge
    Kyle Katarn
    Xizor
    Mandalorian Jango Fett
    Darth Vader having an apprentice
    Luke rebuilding the Jedi Order
    Mandalorian Protectors
    A Thrawn-like character
    Grievous portrayed the way he was in early Legends stories
    A new RTS game
    Origin stories for the Jedi, Sith, and Republic
    A story focused on Delta Squad
    A book about a group of stormtroopers who go to jail for refusing to carry out an atrocity for the Empire. They eventually escape and become soldiers of fortune, giving help to those in need.

Don't Want:

Palpatine clones
    Comedic portrayals of the Empire or CIS
    Force users being the protagonist in every single story
    The tusken raider from Masters of Teräs Käsi making a comeback
    Stuff from the Holiday Special
    Teeks
    The wampa surviving it's confrontation with Luke in Empire Strikes Back
    Luke being a whiny and incompetent Jedi Master
    Anything from TCW or Rebels (But seeing that they already found their way into the new canon, it's too late to change anything)

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  12. PatttyB0123

PatttyB0123 Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 2, 2003
    Let's go back to the original title of the thread please.

mes520 likes this.
  13. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Let's go ahead and get that book on Count Dooku. He was a child once, an innocent kid who dreamed of becomming a greate Jedi Master, before he found himself too disgusted by the political corruption (Which was most certainly there) that existed within the Galactic Republic to keep serving it. Therefore, he may have very well truly believed in serving and protecting it at all costs, before he found himself no longer able to justify doing so. That alone, the slow fall into disillusion makes for a great story, no matter who the character is. A person like Dooku, who while manipulative, and powerhungry, still started off with the intention of creating something better, and even as a Sith Lord retains his charm and class, could be picked apart as a character in so many interesting ways.

Boba Fett. Despite his brief appearance in ESB, ROTJ, and AOTC, the character remains insanely popular and is just as untapped now as he was when the original EU first started. They'll have to decide whether or not he actually survived the Sarlacc this time around, but honestly with the previously mentioned popularity, and some of the great work they did with the Clones in TCW, I don't see why they wouldn't allow him to survive. Even if they don't however, there's still the time between AOTC and ROTJ, a period of nearly 30 years, that they can explore about his life. How did he get that Mandalorian Armor? Did he ever form connections with some of his other clone brothers? Did he ever visit Mandalore? What happened to Mandalore after Maul, and what role did Boba play in it? There are a bunch of different roles the character could play, and interesting aspects that could each be made into a novel: Clone, Jango's Son, Mandalorian, Bounty Hunter, etc. And perhaps teh great thing about each, in my opinion, is that they would all take the character to places that could help flesh out the new universe more fully.

The Clone Wars served to show us a variety of Jedi characters and what they were doing during the War, but i'd now like them to go into greater detail into what the Old Jedi Order was like before the War. Not only can this expand on old characters and create many new characters, from any number of species, it can also serve to show the contrast between the Order as it was and how it became. The failings of the Order are noted time and again after all, so I think its beneficial to see its slide towards Order 66 and Knightfall. This can also help expand on the universe as a whole by having Jedi go on missions to different planets around the galaxy. This also lets us just get some regular adventures where the entire fate of the galaxy isn't at stake, and that's always a good thing in my book. A universe as large as this one must have thousands of planets with interesting things and story's going on all the time. No reason we can't see some of those.

On that note, let's see some variety in both the Empire and the Rebellion. Not everyone in the Empire is bad and not everyone in the Rebellion is good. For one thing, all the Empire is is the Republic with a new name. The average citizen living as part of the Empire was a part of the Republic beforehand. Some of them are sure to be happy with the change and some aren't. The Rebellion in turn is a ragtag organization fighting against a government that spans the stars. They are therefore outnumbered a hundred to one and need all the help they can get, which in turn means they should be scraping from the bottom of the barrel, taking on anyone who's willing to aid them. This of course means that not everyone will be joining for the noblest of ideals; revenge, power, credits, all are plausible and they all allow for the chance of some truly terrible people entering and attaining high positions in the Rebellion. In general lets just see writers not paint this conflict as if its all good on one side and all bad on the other. The person at the type being a monster doesn't mean that the soldiers at the very bottom are all the same.

14. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Don't want One Sith tattoos. It's hard to take a bunch of Maul cosplayers seriously.

Jeff_Ferguson and Darth_Dreadwar like this.
  15. YoungBossk

YoungBossk Jedi Master star 1

Aug 30, 2014
    Want:
    . Ahsoka to not be flippantly killed
    . Cade Bane one of the 'best' bounty hunters in the galaxy with no history or reference to earn his reputation a bit more
    . More on Boba Fett, the Mandalorians & Clone connections
    . An appearance from Durge & Embo
    . A cameo from A'Sharad Hett & more on Tusken Raiders
    . More information on Sifo-Dyas
    . Some history of Yoda
    . Jedi Purge survivors to have more relevance
    . Saba Sebatyne or some other descent Barabel characters
    . Black Sun!

DON'T WANT:

. Earth to be tossed into the mix
    . Rogue/Dark Jedi to be trying to take over the galaxy
    . Random 'main' characters family members to all of a sudden spring up out of the ground and have a major impact
    . Key characters from the OT like Lando & Wedge to be completely forgotten
    . Ewoks

spicer and Iron_lord like this.
  16. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    Want
    Dead is dead. Despite my enjoyment of Dark Empire, needlessly resurrecting characters is a stupid trope that is a justifiable criticism of speculative fiction. If we are going to kill people then keep them dead.

17. Shadow Trooper

Shadow Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2013
    Agreed. I didn't actively hate TCW until Darth Maul came back from being bisected. Looks like the New Canon is already guilty of this right from the get go, just like Dark Empire did for the old EU.

18. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Where did they do this in the new post-TCW material?

19. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Want:

- Ziost

Don't Want:

- Sith Yavin

20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I think it was doing it in TCW, and canonising TCW, that's what's objected to.

21. Shadow Trooper

Jul 18, 2013
    Iron Lord is correct. I was referring to TCW and Son of Dathromir adding the concept of bringing back characters from the dead into the new canon before the new canon even started. Just like Dark Empire brought back Fett and Palpatine, the Maul precedent might see us subjected to similar bad plot choices in the new canon.

Riv_Shiel and Iron_lord like this.
  22. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998

Possibly, but in recent interviews, Filoni and Story Group are very well aware of the problem, and have been wanting to make clear it's not a precedent. While Disney XD might not want actual confirmed moment of death portrayed on screen, Filoni wanted it made known that:
    Grint, Aresko, and the Inquisitor are very much dead, and not coming back.

Shadow Trooper and Iron_lord like this.
  23. Shadow Trooper

Jul 18, 2013
    That is reassuring. One of the most infuriating moments in fiction for me was when a certain character in ASOIAF came back to life. This plot device always manages to get me annoyed and depending on the frequency of its use, sometimes makes me give up on a story all together ( Like in the Marvel Cinematic Universe). The use of this trope on Darth Maul, the precedent of Dark Empire in Legends and the frequent use of it in the Disney run Marvel cinematic universe has made me rather worried that the story group will resort to using it again in the New Canon whenever it suits them.

24. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    Also, remember, there was one other chance to bring a character back who we assumed was dead in Rebels: Luminara. Many actually were looking forward to that having happened ... But nopes, didn't survive much past Order 66. She's totally mummified dead.

On the other hand, speaking of movie characters who didn't die on screen but were presumed dead:
    Tagge is alive, but it's presented that he, and perhaps other High-ups in the board room, very plausibly left the Death Star significantly before the Yavin offensive. This is a case of bringing new potential to a character that Legends explicitly portrayed as having died in the film, not the movie itself.

And I think this decision, also, has been not only well handled, but applauded by the fans.

25. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Though I think it's possible that part of the reason that decision has gone over well is that
    while Tagge may have died in Legends, his family played a major role in the original Marvel series - so fans may be more willing to accept him surviving and playing a major role than they would some other character.