main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit What do you want and don't want to see in the new EU?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by SatineNaberrie, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    They had Admiral Trench surviving as well.

2. Shadow Trooper

Shadow Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2013
    I don't mind if they bring back characters that were dead in Legends. The example in the Vader comics was actually pretty cool and a nice deviation from Legends. It is only obnoxious when a canon source explicitly shows the character dying, like in the case of Maul, Fett and Palpatine and than the creator decides to bring them back to life.

3. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    I'm really not sure how you can equate the three. They're not remotely close to being the same circumstances, or even the same ones making the decision.

Fett was resurrected (and killed again) numerous times throughout Legends, and though George himself said he would have likely rezzed him if he'd had the opportunity, it wasn't his decision that did it, it was because of the character's popularity. Fett was a familiar foe, and his death was never made explicit in the first place. Veitch and Kennedy rezzed him first, but like I said, someone was going to.

Veitch and Kennedy brought Palpatine back because they wanted to bring Vader back and George said no. Palpatine's resurrection fits very well with his motivations and character that've been established since then, though at the time it was pure comic book retcon stuffs wrapped in DE's rather bombastic sequelitis. As far as the EU was concerned at the time, Palpatine was the Dark Lord of the Sith, commanding powers beyond even Luke, and his survival beyond death was a symbol of that in-story.

George brought Maul back because he though he'd made a mistake killing the most visually distinct and fan-favored characters from a very divisive trilogy of films and sought to rectify that. Of the three, that's the only one that was explicitly the decision of the creator of the character himself, and as terrible as an idea as it was, it also gave us TCW's best ongoing storyline and at least one of its best episodes overall. Yes, it was a bad move because Maul was explicitly dead, because TCW already had its Maul-epxy, and because Maul had no worthwhile character worth bringing back aside from name and visual recognition. But it's not like precedent for darksiders being chopped in half and surviving didn't already exist.

4. Thuro

Thuro Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2013

[​IMG]

Want
    All of the good EU characters.
    Yuuzhan Vong
    Vergere
    Leia becoming a Jedi
    Ben Skywalker
    Vestara Khai
    Mara Jade
    Jaina Solo
    Scout
    (characters that are specifically mentioned are ones I really want)

Do Not Want
    Darth Caedus
    Pellaeon as Chief of State
    Mercy is for those who deserve it.
    Jagged Fel

Abadacus and ScorpionJedi like this.
  5. Shadow Trooper

Shadow Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2013
    Cynical_Ben , I don't really see the difference between all of the cases you just mentioned. In all of the cases you claimed that the circumstances were different, but the reasoning behind bringing back all three of the villains was essentially because the author/creator thought it would be cool. It really boils down to the fact that Maul and Fett were brought back because the fans liked them and they looked iconic. Palpatine was also brought back for coolness argument but I will concede that it retro actively makes sense once his character was better established. Also I never claimed that the same person made all of the resurrection decisions. I was just stating my disappointment that this trope has already appeared in New canon and that it will likely appear again when some writer wants to bring back a dead iconic baddie like Fett.

6. Thuro

Thuro Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2013
    I'm afraid I have to agree with you. This is an old trope in comic books and one that I'm not in a hurry to see spread to more grounded (well kind of) stories.

Vthuil likes this.
  7. hairymuggle

hairymuggle Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 28, 2014
    Do not want
    - Ahsoka
    - "The Jedi were evil and deserved to die!!"

Wants
    - Everything else

lookameatbag likes this.
  8. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Don't want: the name "Jedi Civil War". It was a Sith War, not a civil war of the Jedi.

Vthuil, Darth_Dreadwar and Gamiel like this.
  9. Darth Dreadwar

Darth Dreadwar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 26, 2010
    In regards to resurrecting Palpatine, it's worth noting that Palpatine was intended (at the time) to be centuries or millennia old at the time of ROTJ, and in conferences re. Palpatine's appearance in TESB Lucas said the Emperor possessed Obi-Wan's power of transformation/Force ghosting. That, in conjuction with vague ST plans at the time (which were to deal with the final defeat of the Emperor, with only Vader dying in ROTJ), the fact Lucas suggested Palpatine be resurrected to Veitch (and said Dark Empire essentially worked as the ST he'd planned) and even the dark side explosion upon the Emperor's death make me think the Emperor's return/immortality was never far from Lucas' mind, and might have been a plan for the character (or at least something being left open for the ST) from very early on.

I like the 'War of the Star Forge,' myself. 'Second Sith War' is unoriginal, and Jedi Civil War is a terrible name for the reasons you gave.

Gamiel, Saga Explorer, Vthuil and 2 others like this.
  10. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    "War of the Star Forge" is definitely the best of those three names. It's original and it's descriptive.

Riv_Shiel and Vthuil like this.
  11. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I think Jedi Civil War works for its purposes. My understanding was that the name was selected due to the fact that for the non force users the line between Sith and Jedi was blurred. The war was started by the heros of the Mandalorion Wars, who had disappeared and then returned as conquerors. The former Jedi heros were now the enemies of the Republic. To many I doubt it would be easy to grasp that they fell to the dark side and became Sith. It looked like the Jedi were fighting themselves. I'd imagine that this impression was aided by the fact thay the Jedi Order had been split on how the fight the Mandolorian. Since the side that fought in the war became the Sith, the JCW may have looked like an extension of that argument between Jedi. In the mind of the galaxy, those two sides had been against each other for a long time and then over time escalated to the JCW. Thus the name Jedi Civil War was given to the conflict. That name was neVer actually meant to say that it was a war between Jedi, but rather that when the war was over the rest of the galaxy saw it as such. The Jedi Order didn't survive the war and those that remained were forced into hiding for another five years. Thus there was no one to correct the galaxy.

Rebel_Loyaltist likes this.
  12. Darth Dreadwar

Darth Dreadwar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 26, 2010
    That, and to distinguish Revan's Sith from the true Sith.

But the problem is that the Great Sith War was also between Jedi and Jedi renunciates, and you'd expect the galactic populace to mistake that war for a Jedi Civil War to a greater degree (due to the largely inter-Jedi nature of that conflict and the lesser scope of the Kunite Sith Empire) than the War of the Star fORGE.

Vthuil, Iron_lord and darklordoftech like this.
  13. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Furthermore, ALL Sith Wars with the exception of the Great Hyperspace Wars would be "Jedi Civil Wars" based on the logic behind KOTOR I being a "Jedi Civil War".

Darth_Dreadwar and Vthuil like this.
  14. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015
    Another thing I don't want :
    -IG-88 D ( Why did it have to be more IG-88s :confused: )controlling Death Star II computer core ...

15. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    ...I think it's pretty safe to say that's not going to happen again.

darklordoftech and Saga Explorer like this.
  16. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I really hope you're right.

17. EECHUUTA

EECHUUTA Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2007
    What I Want:
    Bring back and finish Star Wars: 1313. Looking at the teasers it saddens me at what we could have had, an exploration of Coruscant's steamy criminal underworld with a guy who has to do stuff by the skin of his teeth. We could have had spice smuggling and bounty hunting, and dangerous (and amusing) attempts to suck up to a Hutt crime lord. Damn you Disney! [face_frustrated]

KOTOR 1 and 2 to be recanonized. I don't want though for Revan's/ Exile's appearance or sex to be canonized, because half of the fun is choosing their appearance and sex, and knowing that Revan's 'canon appearance' looked like the perfect description of a boring Jedi kind of killed it. Plus it gives us the chance to have a KOTOR 3, which the MMORPG failed to deliver thereof. Nothing kills immersion faster when you have other players running around with names like "Darth Butt" with supposedly 'rare' items that are multiplied a thousandfold. (Those dead Sith Lords must put out like a common whore if there are that many, because daaaang.)

Recanonize The Force Unleashed 1 and 2, so we can get Force Unleashed 3. Reason I say this (besides just liking Starkiller) is that they could use 3 to re-establish just how dangerous Vader is. How do they do that? By showing that Vader only let himself be captured because it makes his enemies underestimate him, and when they do that, they let down their guard. It's like some fox 'playing' with a rabbit to lure it in, before the fox shows just why it's a predator. After barely, just barely getting out alive from this sudden and glorious curbstomp, the game throws you against Maul to finally and canonically end his arc (Sidious had him captured and is experimenting on him) although he'd have to be a suped up end boss so we don't have a replay of yet another Vader+ Palps fight. Good side you both simultaneously die at the end of the fight, darkside you end up joining him and becoming his apprentice.

Books on alien culture and their own heroes. Twilek, Rodian, Hutt, et cetera. Stuff from the aliens' point of view, that also builds the worlds that they live on. What do they do and how do they act, that makes them more then just rubber-forehead aliens?

What I Don't Want:

Mara Jade. Reason? She was arrogant and thought she was hot stuff to the Emperor, only to be domesticated by Luke out of her unwomanly ways so she could settle down and produce his all important Skywalker baby. I never found her cool, and her character was put into the oft inevitable female character trajectory of glorified baby bucket.

The Many Res-o-rrectins of Palpatine: Lucas might have wanted this at one point, but it's proof that what looks good in theory is not always good in actual print. The whole thing already looked cornball as hell with Palpy's I-bought-dis-at-Drac's-yard-sale cape, but at the end when he's walking hunched over (I guess it'd supposed to be his "scheming" pose?) while still dripping his tube juice and looking like he's about to go "Muhahahaha!," then I thought "Well, if there is a bright point to making EU Legends, it's in not having this turd be canon anymore."

Dark Side Luke: Luke should be able to largely resist the allure of the Dark Side by now, or it will make the impact of him rejecting the Emperor's temptations less meaningful. If he has to go as far as to die rather then fall, it will show just how deep this conviction lies and show just how strongly adverse he is to becoming what his father was. Seeing him with yellow Sith eyes would honestly ruin him for me, because to me, that's not Luke.

18. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Want: Age of Apocalypse style event where Ken Palpatine and his team of Ewoks fight to restore the timeline.

19. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Don't want: Darth Bane's guyliner

20. The Extreme Moderate

The Extreme Moderate Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jun 30, 2005
    So much love for Dooku on this thread. He's such an underused character, who could be such a complex, deep and tragic figure.

I also agree with those who want more Padme. She's one of the PT's Big Three, and she is so thoroughly ignored in the old EU that it's shameful.

21. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015
    Don't want : Logray banned from the Ewok village (facepalm)

22. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Want: The events of Republic commando Video Game to be canonised
    Don't Want: The Republic Commando Novels to be canonised

Barriss_Coffee, Slater and spicer like this.
  23. Slater

Slater Jedi Master star 2

Oct 12, 2014
    At least Delta is still canon, god bless TCW for that.