main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion What do you want for the future of Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by ArianaSU, Mar 16, 2013.

1. ArianaSU

ArianaSU Jedi Youngling

Feb 11, 2013
    Hi everyone! I'm Ariana, a magazine major at Syracuse University. I'm writing my major story this semester on Star Wars, the sequel films and nostalgia. I would really love to do some fan interviews to give the story more depth and authenticity. If you're interested in talking about your passion for the series and what you want to see in its future, let me know, I would love to set up a real interview. Thank you so much!

2. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Sounds interesting - I'm game. I'm one of those old farts who saw Star Wars in the Thearter when it was JUST called "Star Wars" and not ANH...

3. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Old school here as well, with kids who will see Star Wars for the first time in a theater with Ep VII.

4. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Same here, fan since the beginning.

5. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I'd be interested in providing a "newer" perspective if you want one - my first SW films were the '97 Special Editions.

6. The_Coon

The_Coon Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2013
  7. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    I'll be interested in seeing Star Wars movies that expand the perspective. I want to get away from Skywalkers/Jedi. But the key is not to oversaturate the franchise with tons of films over a short period of time.

I think that is unsustainable. I would like one or two Star Wars movies a decade and nothing more...

Krueger likes this.
  8. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Good luck with your story.

9. DarthVengeant

DarthVengeant Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2004
    Iv'e been a "fan" of SW since 1977. Saw it 10 times back then in the theater. I own enough SW items and collectables to fill a small house. I'd be interested in an interview. Mine wont be as sugar coated as others. I have a different point of view than most.

10. Episode Swag

Episode Swag Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2013
    I would be happy to provide a newer fan's POV seeing as I'm a 90's kid. But ever since I first saw Star Wars I have loved it oh so much! My earliest memory I have of the series is C3PO and R2D2 walking up to Jabba's Palace in VI. Though I didn't understand what was going on, the visuals were pure magic for my eyes at such a young age.

11. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    I'm a "Prequel era" kid, so if you need someone's view on Star Wars growing up during the early 2000s, I'm game!

12. jasman

jasman Administrator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 29, 1998
    I'm the old fart here, and often the voice of reason amid the chaos. I'll help. (check out my sig)

13. Jedifirefly5

Jedifirefly5 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    I don't know. You'll probably draw out all sorts of sincere stuff then spin it and be condescending and put a bad slant on it. Star Wars fandom have been subject to that forever.

14. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Dont care about a bad slant... haters gonna hate anyways nor do they need any more proof their own pov is correct but if shes truthful it might be useful to her and after the prequals I no longer am what I describe below. Way more a critical fan now than a deluded one. Plus I find my past with Star Wars quite humorious (whats the point of living if you cant laugh at yourself anyways)

Been a fan ever since I was 2-3... practically my first memory. I recall getting very confused with the "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away" as my mother read it to me. For some reason I just never made the connection to the classic fairy tale opening... for about 10 minutes (or what felt like it in recollection) I was trying to figure out in my head where the space ships where. After that I finally got the courage to interrupt the movie and asked my mom if this was real... she said something to the effect of 'yes and be quite', clearly she just said what she thought would get me to be quite not realizing how much this movie had already warped my fragile little mind. lolz in hindesight since she had only herself to blame for me being such an obsessive fan I 'ruined' her favorite movie later in life. Anyways, been a fan ever since.

I was born just after Return of the Jedi, was in my teens when episode I was released which I saw it 10 times, but was such a deluded fan it took me 8 times watching it for my brain to finally start judging it beyond "OMG" Im watching Star Wars... and go to who the ***k is this horrible cgi character. From then on the critical fan was born... and the deluded fan gone

Also have a love/hate relationship with the Expanded Universe (books/comics/games)... played or read most of them when they came out, rereading them now for a more adult take on what I loved ages ago.

15. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I saw all 3 OT films multiple times during their initial releases, I was in the lower double digits as a member of the original fanclub, dressed as a charcter from the films every Halloween for a decade from 77-87... and despite all of that... I would not be here on this site today if it were not for the prequels. I would have moved on in life with the OT as 'decent memories'. I care enough to post online because the prequels are more enjoyable to me than the originals at this point.

16. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    I'm one of the lucky ones - I get enjoyment out of the films as a whole (but growing up with the OT, it will always have a special place in my heart.)

I would have never in a million years thought I'd actually be looking forward to seeing my childhood Icons 'all grown up'....

17. ArianaSU

ArianaSU Jedi Youngling

Feb 11, 2013
    Thanks for all the responses everyone! I really appreciate it.

18. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Hi Ariana,
    I have zero interest in bein interviewed.
    Thanks in advance,
    Eeth M. Koth

crackvader likes this.
  19. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Again, my only response is hmmm.....

20. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Started with ANH at the theater for a date. Been a fan since. Wound up dragging my then 11y/o daughter to TPM and she came out a fan. She's the one who introduced me to these boards and we wrote SW fanfic together and I modded there for a couple years. Love the PT, probably more then the OT and look forward to something new and exciting with the ST.

Thanks to SW and these boards, I've seen more of the country and world and hung out with a great many of the people here.

21. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    I want Star Wars films that my little sister Sam can grow up on and enjoy and not rant on *she already keeps ranting to me about the prequels and she's only 6!*. I also want films that dont completely destroy her memories of the original movies since she's in love with Luke Skywalker and I can tell she'll be crushed when she's faced with the sad realization that he's no longer the guy she had a crush on.

22. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Each to their own...

23. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
  24. Hydro spanner Celt

Hydro spanner Celt Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 9, 2013

You are clearly of the same generation as I am, and very honest when you admit that the OT would have been but decent memories for you. I also like yourself was excited by the PT , but unlike yourself I couldn't connect with the characters for reasons that have been highlighted many times on theses pages by other posters arguments which I known you are well versed in. The PT is interesting and the good v evil is more ambiguous and grey etc . But intrinsicly I didn't care enough or invest enough in the characters. You are perhaps the first person of our generation who I have heard of who rates the PT as more enjoyable . I just think of the wee boy walking out the cinema in 1977 with my mind and world blown away never to be the same . I flew half way round the world to see TPM on the opening day to capture that same feeling sadly it wasn't there but New York was a blast.
    I am intrigue how you can find them more enjoyable I know it's subjective but I would like to know your thoughts

25. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    My niece who's 16 watched all 6 films over a period of time a few months ago. Advised her to start with ANH which she was slightly confused with, but she went with it. After all 6 she told me the 1st 3 were excellent and Han Solo was her favourite. On the other 3 she said, yeah they were ok but she didnt see the point in them. Enough said.