main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What do you want from the next animated series?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by McRowdy, Mar 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McRowdy

McRowdy Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 19, 2010
    What has been said

So going off what little we heard what do you personally want to see out of the next series.

darthbarracuda likes this.
  2. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Good writing - good plots - no character assassination.

Oh - and Obi-Wan would be nice, if not realistic. :p

3. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    This'll probably be locked/ merged, but..

2D.

4. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Genndy Tartakovsky.

5. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Nah, this should be a separate thread.

Okay, I know that this isn't going to be a popular one with the EU fans, but I'm really hoping for a TCW style animated series that fills in the 40+ year gap between Episode VI and VII, complete with Luke Skywalker becoming a Jedi Master, new adventures that don't include Chewbacca dying. 2D is good and all, but you have too admit - the scenery, props, spaceships and CGI in Clone Wars were breathtaking, especially towards the end. If they take a step away from making the characters from looking like cut-out pieces of wood, it will be great.

darthbarracuda and TreborSabreon like this.
  6. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck.

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Miracles do happen. I just liked one of Naru's posts.

What do I want, in addition to "please don't suck"? Please don't make it so blatantly ****ing obvious who the director's favorite characters are, because I really don't give a ****, I just want to see an engaging story.

Oh, and original characters, no steamrolling of existing EU characters. A director who is willing to consult with EU readers and search Wookieepedia.

8. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I'm guessing that this show will tie into Episode VII in some way, either as an immediate prelude similar to the microseries, or even just occupying the gap between ROTJ and Episode VII in some form, possibly even when Luke was still relatively young.

If releasing a comedy set in the OT era makes "no sense" to LucasFilm, I don't see how a Dark Times show would make any more sense when Episode VII is going to be the next big thing that they are going to want to hype up, and perhaps try to make a more cohesive universe between films and TV in having the latter more closely tied to the prior.

The 3D animation, particularly character models were really good towards the end of TCW, but there was also plenty of limitations such as the time it simply took to create a character model. E.G. Oppo Rancicis who was absent for the entire show, or how the same models were reused over and over again, and some environments just seemed too orderly and stale on account of the technology not being that great yet. Admittedly, this got better as time went on and there are some examples of beautiful environments such as in the Trandoshan arc, but I think 2D offers greater freedom from a story telling pov, and good story telling was something I felt to be very inconsistent.

Having said that, if it is 2D, I wouldn't want to see it stylized so heavily as the microseries was.

TreborSabreon and Mia Mesharad like this.
  9. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I like this, ALOT. And if existing EU characters are used let it be characters with not too much info or large gaps in their history.

And one thing I've always enjoyed is the excellent cut-scenes seen in the LucasArts Star Wars games, it may be expensive but I'd love to see that quality of animation or better tested upon a animated show.

10. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Animation as good or even better than season five of TCW, great characters, great storylines, something that ties in with the films and don't leave important storylines hanging too long in case Disney tries to cancel it.

phatdude1138 likes this.
  11. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    It will be interesting to see which time period they choose. I honestly would be excited about the time inbetween Ep. III and IV. As far as the timeframe inbetween Ep. VI and VII that would be good as well. However I think it would be best to introduce all the storylines in the movies first before they pass it on to t.v. so I would think they might want to hold off on a television show in that time period for now until we get to know the characters in the new trilogy and grow attached to their storylines.

12. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    What do I want from the next animated series? Beautiful animation because I'm spoiled. Cool storytelling somewhere between thought provoking and pure escapism. That cool yet campy feel Star Wars has. Dark, not afraid of violence, not one to shy away from some cold plots. I want cool characters particularly OCs to follow who are as cool as Rex has been for me. I want bounty hunters, armored guys, blasters, and space battles. Heroes vs villains. It should enhance the saga, improve characters and make me about cry when Vader dies which is something that never happened before. Most of all, it better live up to or beat TCW. I've enjoyed the ride alot and for me it'll be some tough shoes to fill.

13. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    Dave Filoni produced TCW style animation for a series set not long before EP VII. It would be an explicit lead in to the movie. Hopefully enough of a lead in to upset folks trying to stay completely unspoiled. :)

TreborSabreon likes this.
  14. Sgt Crowfield

Sgt Crowfield Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 27, 1999
    What I want from the next animated series if it's not about clones?
    Stormtroopers. Lots of stormtroopers. Lots of stormtroopers in non-cannon-fodder roles.
    Best thing would be a show about stormtroopers. If I can't have that, the show's Jedi-to-troop-to-other-characters-ratio should be slanted heavily in favor of troops, unless it's rebel troops, because I never liked the rebels.

What I rather wouldn't have is 2D. I want stylized 3D a la TCW or TF2, and if I can't have that, go for the SWTOR intro look. Or do a show with my current SWTOR character in a supporting role, he's cute ;p.

Go ahead, Disney. Prove that you're able to surprise me in a positive way after all. Do you really want Wreck-it Ralph to be the last Disney movie I bought?
    You don't mind, Disney? Well, I thought so.

15. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    Mostly all this ^^^^

And this:
    This is the time period I want:
    I would like it set in the "dark times". You know those 100 scripts of the LA we were prommised? I would like to see old TCW characters make an apperance, especially Ahsoka and Asajj (would fit perfectly in the underworld image of the Dark Times). I want some Hondo action too. I wouldn't mind a Han and Chewie cameo as long as it doesn't steamroll the EU too much. Boba setting up shop as a full fledged bounty hunter.

Basically I put ALL this in a letter that I mailed to Dave Filoni today. :)

16. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    The heroes to not carry the idiot ball so much.

17. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2013
    Why should we assume that there is going to be another animated TV series based off of this? By "series" they could just be referring to the new series of films "7,8,9 + spin-offs." I think the line "previously untouched in Star Wars films or television programming" is simply saying that the TIME PERIOD of the new series of films has never been explored on screen - only in print. I really don't think we're going to see a TV series during this period...they're focusing on the films and they've canned Filoni and co. - his animation crew has been cut out of Lucasfilm and I don't see them bringing in a different crew when, commercially, Filoni has done so well for the company. If they were doing another TV series in an animated format, why let Filoni go???

I'm really not seeing it - especially based on this:

Sure, its not straight from the horse's mouth, but I have a feeling this is what Disney/LFL is thinking with this new series of films - more adult, cynical content - not an animated TV show aimed at the "8-12 boys" demographic. Plus, I'm thinking part of the odd circumstances surrounding the end of TCW had to do with the lack of a TV outlet for such a show. As it had been stated for a while now, Disney XD was not exactly a great home for TCW - it was an extra (additional $$) channel for cable subscribers, it did not have a great reputation, etc. and Disney didn't have a different network to put it on (Disney was too "girl/pre-teen" demo). I really don't think that Disney has a proper TV outlet for an animated SW series...

I'm putting it out there right now: No new animated Star Wars series at least for a long while (at least 5 years).

18. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    The possibilites of a post-RotJ are huge, and the canon of that era is sparse compared to the three years of the Clone Wars. If it was set then, adherence to canon wouldn't only be awesome and a requirement (imo), but entirely possible.

19. DavraCahan

DavraCahan Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 3, 2013
    Agreed.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  20. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    On starwars.com in the caption for the story it says, "...and an exciting new animated project." And the main article says, "...Lucasfilm has decided to pursue a new direction in animated programming."

klooney and TreborSabreon like this.
  21. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    "As we enter into an exciting new era focused on the next Star Wars trilogy, Lucasfilm has decided to pursue a new direction in animated programming. We are exploring a whole new Star Wars series set in a time period previously untouched in Star Wars films or television programming. You can expect more details in the months to come. " http://starwars.com/news/a-new-direction-for-lucasfilm-animation.html

What time period was untouched? The period between ANH-ESB?

I think we can rule out an animated series on the "Dark Times". I can't imagine an animated series on Vader hunting down Jedi.

I will throw out an early guess out there...

Yoda. A 1000 year old character doesn't have much backstory.

22. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    ...Other stuff happened in the Dark Times other than Vader hunting down Jedi. I would not think any story set in the 19 year gap would solely focus on that. It's a poorly explored area in which the creators could pretty much do any kind of story they wanted. It could center on a Jedi refugee or do something completely different. The Underworld was supposed to take place during this period and allegedly wasn't going to have Jedi at all.

If Detours made no sense to them in releasing it prior to Episode VII I would think that the unfamiliar Old Republic or Dark Times eras would make even less sense. And it's unknown if this show would be ready before or after Episode VII. There's going to be a huge gap between ROTJ and Episode VII - at least 30 years to accommodate the actors' aging. They could set a show in that time frame and have Luke, Leia and Han as main characters (I really don't think they are going to be main characters in the films). Or if the show comes out after Episode VII, and depending on what the treatment for Episode VIII involves, perhaps it takes place between those two films. Working on a television show simultaneously with the films and keeping them in roughly the same time period would allow for more cohesion I would think, and the success of one would promote the success of the other.

I can't see them deciding to make a Yoda spinoff TV show when they are trying to market the ST.

23. RupertRoll

RupertRoll Jedi Youngling

Mar 13, 2013
    I want it to be thoughtful, fun and contemplative. And that's a high and mighty goal, since the established lore can be a suffocating load of baggage.

24. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Knights of the Old Republic!

It has been discussed before. Disney have enormous room to make their own impression, without damaging or effecting already established storylines and universe.

25. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    ^Working off of that: reflecting back on TCW, I realize that the part I loved most about it was how it used original characters (Hondo, Cad Bane, Satine, Talzin, Savage, all of Death Watch, etc). Sure, not all characters it developed were awesome (a pink Gungan? srsly?), but the vast majority were pretty inspired. So if we're getting a new series, I'm actually hoping they branch out and do their own thing rather than focus on previously-established characters.

(I'm singing a different tune than I did in 2008, back when I wanted TCW to focus primarily on old characters. Oh how wrong I was.....)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.