main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What do you want from the next animated series?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by McRowdy, Mar 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    I have been a fan of animation & comics ever since I was a kid. And, though I don't have a lot of interest in the forthcoming ST, a new cartoon series is something I could really get into - only if it's done properly, of course.

I am not a fan of the animation used in the CW cartoon - I did see the CW animated film in the theatre back in 2008, because I wanted to give it a chance. And, it just doesn't do it for me - the animation is too "blocky" (if that's the right description), video game-ish, and CGI-ish. Because of this, I've never seen an episode of the show.

I did like the animation used in the Clone wars micro-series from the early 2000's, as well as the Nelvana?! produced Droids & Ewoks cartoons from the '80's. And, I recently saw the short animated Boba Fett segment from the Holiday Special (on the Blu-ray DVD's) and thought it was superb; I liked how they used the voices from the original cast, and the story/animation was fantastic (this was also produced by Nelvana, the same company behind the Ewoks/Droids cartoons). Sure, these shows are pretty much ancient history at this point, but just because a cartoon came out 10-50 years ago doesn't mean that it's worse than some of the crap that's come out recently. In fact, IMHO in many cases older animation is superior to the newer stuff.

So, animation with an old-skool retro style/vibe, but at the same time updated for the 21st century, is what I'm looking for.

Don't have a lot of interest in the post-ROTJ EU, but an animated series set during the following time periods would be great:

- Between ANH & ESB: Not sure how well this would work with the "big three" (since it would really only work best with their voices, like in the aforementioned animated sequence from the Holiday special), but they could focus on other, peipheral members of the Rebellion & Empire & their adventures. Maybe "The Big three" could make cameos, but that wouldn't be essential.

- Between Episodes III & IV, i.e. "The Dark Times" - if done properly, an adaptation of the DH comic book of the same name would be fantastic (with animation similar to the comic), but, if that won't work, a series with a similar theme (i.e., exploring the galaxy as the Empire becomes more & more powerful, DV exterminating the remaining Jedi, etc.) would be interesting.

- Set during ancient times, i.e. the glory days of the Jedi, the Old Republic, etc. They could possibly base this on some of the '90's DH comics (Tales of the Jedi), but could have original stories as well.

2. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    What I definitely do not want is a kiddified and severly dumbed down show when compared to TCW. I'll use the cancelled The Spectacular Spider-Man and it's replacement Ultimate Spider-Man as a comparison example:

[​IMG]

3. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    A " kiddified and severly dumbed down" version of TCW sounds horrible -- it already was kiddified and severely dumbed down.

4. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    An animated series like TCW that deals with some really mature themes, including murder and suicide, doesn't translate well into 'kiddified and severly dumbed down' at all.

5. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I was talking more in terms of logic, consistency and writing.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  6. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    [​IMG]

7. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
  8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I could see Disney doing a series for one of its channels if they see enough demand that they could get advertisers. I never watch commercials so I don't know who advertised on Cartoon Network.

And if Disney uses a different writing team, that could only be a good thing.

9. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    With Genndy Tartakovsky it would be awesome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.