main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What do you want in an Ultimate SW Game?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by kgray, Dec 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kgray

kgray Jedi Youngling

Dec 1, 2005
    In the Literature threads we have a topic called "Shall We Play a game" wich Chronologizes Every Star Wars Game Level by Level. Lookin at the Pros and Cons of a lot of these games I was thinkin about what I would like in a Star Wars Game that I created. So yeah, post your ideas for a game.

Id like to see a game series that Pretty much Started with Episode 1 as the first game, and Episode 6 as the last.
    It would pretty much be a compilation of Rouge Squadrons Flying Mechanics and Levels but when you get out of the cockpit itd be like Battlefront. I love the idea of boarding other ships and blowin them up from inside.
    Now when you play as a Jedi though, Itd have the fighting system of RotS except the sprint and Jumping would stay the same as the Heros of BF.
    Each game would revolve tightly around the stories from the movies so Some of the games (Episode 1, Ep 3) would pretty much be Improvements from the previous versions. You would get at least 20 hours of gameplay from each, and Every level could be co op as well. Each game would be like living the movies!

I don't see any reason why this can't go in the game idea thread.
    Link: Game Idea Thread

2. Lord-Draco

Lord-Draco Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    Ultimate Star Wars Game: RPG

The Ultimate Star Wars game in terms of a RPG would be pretty much what every Star Wars RPG fans dream of. A Elder Scrolls Oblivion type game but in the Star Wars setting. I even believe this game could pwn KOTOR in many aspects.

Ultimate Star Wars Game: Non-RPG

The Ultimate Star Wars game that wouldn't be a RPG would be a combination of the X-Wing/Tie-Fighter/Jedi Academy games with a mix of a little Battlefront 2.

Imagine this, I'm Kyle Katarn fighting inside the Echo Base on Hoth (Like Jaden Kor in Jedi Academy). I'm slicing Storm Troopers and whatnot until I run outside the base. I then see this massive battle going on (Like the Battle of Hoth in BF2) so then I run around the battle field slicing down more Storm Troopers (Still using the JA engine, not BF2. Just just imagine the Battle of Hoth using the JA engine but BF2 format). Then I run to a transport ship, get inside, and take off into space. I then board one of my Capital Ships (BF2 Style), gets inside a X-Wing and takes off into space. I then fight in a battle above Hoth against the Empire (X-Wing vs Tie-Fighter style with a BF2 type space setting).

How does that sound?

3. Vaan_Karrde

Vaan_Karrde Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 8, 2005
    It is nice to see how other fans share the same wonderful idea, it makes the possibility of such a game all the more... er, possible.

I'll expand on it though; I think a good timeline wouldn't be during the clone wars, or the galactic civil war, because if the game took place during such a major event we would be chained and dragged into the storyline, meaning less freedom. No focus on major characters or events, it should take place during a normal, peaceful era sometime before The Phantom Menace... or even better, during the prosperity of the New Republic/before the Yuuzhan Vong invasion.

But just because the game is set during a "peaceful" era, doesn't mean there won't be any action, this is Star Wars, there are always fights breaking out in lower city cantinas, bounties being placed, smuggling operations, interplanetary disputes, and other crises that can be much more personal and free to be creative with than a fullscale war that already has the story written for itself. ;)

4. Lord-Draco

Lord-Draco Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    You are so right. But you know how some of these purist in this forum are. They believe that "EU won't work" and that all people want to do is play in the PT or OT era over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. As if a game that doesn't take place in the PT or OT is a flop when in fact Some of the more popular and better quality SW games are the ones that didnt take place during the movies such as KOTOR and the Jedi Outcast/Academy games.

What you say about having the setting before the movies or way after the movies is a great idea. That way we are placed in a setting that we aren't so familiar of whats going on. Thats what made Morrowind so great. He really didn't know the overall story, so as we played along, more and more of it came to us and we eventually learned it all. However if it is set in the OT/PT, we already know whats going on....taking away a lot of the storyline exploration for us.

5. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    You do know that this exact game concept gets raised about once a month. What it really nees though is a GTA type planetside feature where you can be a criminal and steal speeders and the like...

6. Vaan_Karrde

Dec 8, 2005
    You know, I never knew there was so much resentment for the EU among Star Wars fans, before I came to this forum. Any book/comic/game that isn't done by George Lucas is automatically irrelevant, if it wasn't in the movies than it's not Star Wars? What kind of attitude is that? A very boring stance that doesn't let you enjoy 90% of what Star Wars has to offer. No other fanbase isolates material, that isn't done by the original artist, into a whole external category like SWfans seem to do.

Sorry, rant off topic...

You are right, if it is set in an era immediately before or after we get the same Star Wars feel but a fresh plot we can explore, but my point was if the setting is during no major event (clone war, civil war, etc.) and the storyline isn't too heavy, we get more freedom. That's why I liked Morrowind, save for the beginning, I wasn't being told what to do throughout the entire game like Knights of the Old Republic.

7. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    If anything the people on this board are much more tolerant of the EU than elsewhere. Because we realise what makes for an interesting plotline in a game is something you've not encountered before.

If you really believe your paragraph above regarding SW gamers only being interested in reenacting movie scenes, you've read the entire tone of this board all wrong.

Me, I'm totally indifferent about EU comics and Novels (having read many of them, but giving-up on that whole industry about 5 years ago), however I love my SW games, and in particular those presenting me with new SW scenarios (KOTOR, Rep. Commando, Jedi Knight series, X-Wing series etc).

8. Admiral_Chiss

Admiral_Chiss Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 27, 2005
    I think the Ultimate game would be a new X-wing-Tie Fighter game and I belive many would agree with me. Not some new RPG ,we have KotOR for that, but a true space flight simulater. If Lucas Arts made a game like this people would simply not be able to keep it stocked in stores.

~Chiss_Admiral

9. Vaan_Karrde

Dec 8, 2005
    We have KOTOR but it's a restricting storyline heavy RPG, like Final Fantasy. We need an open ended RPG with lots of freedom, like Morrowind. I'm sure flight simulation would be very well done in a game with so much exploring.

I don't see the need for more starfighter games, there are already quite a few and I still haven't played a Rouge Squadron game.

10. NewWorldOrder

NewWorldOrder Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2005
    masters of tera kasi redone and online.

11. Therren_Cragan

Therren_Cragan Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 25, 2005
    I personally believe that an RPG style game would be the best, but it would be fantastic if there was a way to incorporate all of the best traits from the best games into it (starfighter piloting, gunfighting, lightsaber duels, and the such). For me it would have to have a great story that follows with the laws of the movies and doesnt make up its own plot that messes in any way with what happened in the films (one of the problems I had with the battlefront games is that some of the stuff in the games deviated a little too much from the films story for my tastes). The story would work best for me if there was a way to really get to know and the characters to a point where you feel a bond with them (FF7 did a great job of this for me with this. I was honestly almost moved to tears when Aeris was killed) and it would have to be chocked full of action so that there would never be a dull moment. The gameplay must be highly involved and, as i said earlier, finding ways to blend the best parts of the best games into it would be an incredible experience for me.

12. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    Oh, don't even get me started. I have quite a few good ideas, the first of which came to mind right now, I'll explain. If this baby here doesn't fade into obscurity, I'll throw out a few more.

1. Ever play Star Trek Bridge Commander? I'd like to see a similar idea incorporated into the Star Wars Universe. Not necessarily a BC clone, but just the idea of commanding the larger vessels of the Star Wars Universe like Interdictors and Blockade Runners and Star Destroyers and Mon Cal Cruisers. I imagine an impressive single-player with maybe both Rebel and Imperial campaigns, each spanning roughly 10 or so hours of missions, all of which can be done multiple ways to increase replay value. But, single player isn't good enough for some people, so when you get online for multiplayer, you would create an online avatar (race, faction, appearance, ship etc.), be randomly be dropped (within your faction's territory) into a massive online galaxy (that's always on and the only changes would be initiated via gameplay). Then you pretty much get free run of the Galaxy. You wanna go off on your own and blow up Rebel ships? fine. You wanna mass your Rebel fleet at Sullust? If you can get the players to comply, you're free to do it. It's up to you.
    One thing I have to stress though, is my idea of having control of your fighters. Depending on your type of ship, you would have a certain ammount of fighters at your disposal. You can divide them into Wings, groups Squadrons, whatever, give pre-flight strategy to them (basic scripts like "Bombers attack the Capital Ship" "Fighter groups cover the bombers") and then once they're deployed you would have a mini-map displaying your fighters and you could order them around in a manner like a 2D RTS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.