main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What do you want in Episode 7 that we've never seen in a movie?

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by arrowheadpodracer, Apr 17, 2014.

1. arrowheadpodracer

arrowheadpodracer Jedi Master star 5

Apr 9, 2002
    We've seen several males do lots of crazy amazing lightsaber stuff, but the most we've seen from females with lightsabers was in the background of the battle of Geonosis. (Or in animation.) We've seen Leia and Padme shoot guns, but I want more. Ahsoka rocked the small screen, so let's see it on the big screen! Jedi or Sith, I don't care.
    I'd like to see a bad ass female with lightsaber.

2. DieWompRatDie

DieWompRatDie Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2008
    How about a brother and sister making out? Am I the only one? Oh wait...

arrowheadpodracer and he-guy like this.
  3. Yuri1138

Yuri1138 Jedi Knight

Dec 29, 2009
    More slave Leia

Dark Crafty likes this.
  4. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    What I want to see, that we haven't had a chance to see before is ... what happens? This seems so basic as to go unsaid, but at a fundamental level what I've missed all these years is the continuation of the story. The Rebel Alliance wins at Endor, the Emperor and (a redeemed) Darth Vader are dead, but then what? Are they still battling the Empire? Do Leia and Han get a family? What about Luke? Does he get his own family? Do they / how do they rebuild the Jedi? With the last two Sith gone, who will the Jedi have awesome lightsaber battles with?

At the same time, I worry that we will end up disappointed. By not having more movies, we were free to envision the potential of something fantastic - whatever that might be for different people. Once the movies happen, we're locked in to that continuity, good or bad.

We did have the EU book, to be sure. I think those actually add another level of complication to the movies and people's expectations. They started, what, in the early 90s? They've been around almost 25 years... sheesh, as old or older than some fans! I think the book storylines - good and/or bad alike - have become entrenched in the minds of some of those who have read them. We're used to the idea of Mara Jade, Han and Leia's kids, the New Republic. I've heard fans elsewhere talk as though the new movies are going to trample all over the established EU. What we have to remember is that the books, even though some were very good and well beloved, are separate. The new movies don't have to have anything to do with them, can complete overwrite them, and I think some fans are going to find that difficult.

I do agree with AHPR. I think a female Jedi as one of the main characters would be awesome. At the same time, I don't want it to be a big deal in the storyline. What I mean is, while it may be a big deal to us, I hope it isn't a big deal to the characters in the story. I want a female kick-ass Jedi and for it to not matter to the other characters what her gender is.

I'd like to see the new Jedi (I presume there will be new Jedi) discovering more about the Force. I can't imagine that Yoda was able to teach Luke *everything* is the time on Degoba. That line about "already know all you need to know"? Hah. I know there's a lot of debate about just how long Luke was there, but it can't have been decades and I have a hard time imagining someone could learn EVERYTHING about the Force in a shorter time. I have to think that not knowing everything would open up the door to more experimentation and exploration as the new Jedi try to learn. I mean, there's a difference between being told "we have thousands of years of knowledge and this is how everything is done" and "eh, start here and after that, I dunno". Some of the old knowledge would be re-invented, but maybe this gives them the chance to discover something new. I'd like to see some of that happen.

5. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Oh, and YAY for once more having actual Star Wars discussions here! Thanks, AHPR! =D=

6. JawaJaka

JawaJaka Jedi Knight star 2

May 24, 2011
    FYI: the first EU book was Splinter of the Mind's Eye in 1978, so EU has been around as long as the movies. To me they're nothing but fan fiction written by professionals and nothing more. Personally I gave up on debating what will come next in the SW universe. Uncle George certainly didn't think too heavily on it when the prequels came out. I'm just going to wait and see. And what I would like to see - more teddy bear - er- Ewok stomping! What I definitely do not want to see - JarJar crap. I hated both (along with most of the prequels). I'll just keep watching my beloved and grainy original DVD's of the original theatrical release (no special edition crap for me, I'm a purist).

7. Joseph_Orion

Joseph_Orion Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    A good plot. The fact that Dark Horse's "The Star Wars" makes what we actually got a pile of junk, I'd like to see a well written plot for once.

Obey Wann likes this.
  8. QueenHighMistress

QueenHighMistress Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    I want to see no one whine about stuff they don't like and instead cheer the stuff they do.

arrowheadpodracer likes this.
  9. QueenHighMistress

May 8, 2005
    More women would be nice, too.

arrowheadpodracer and nnaydolem like this.
  10. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    It's true, Splinter of the Mind's Eye came out after the first movie. But I think that was just about all until the Zahn books, right? I remember it being an enormous deal when those were coming out. Or so it seemed to me at the time.

11. QueenHighMistress

May 8, 2005
    Yes, that was pretty much it (aside from some kids' books) until the Zahn books.

12. darth_hair

darth_hair Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2001
    I want to see jedi and sith fight arena style. I also want to see more battles like Geonosis. Wonder if the Empire stayed on control or if they will go a new republic route. Oh and I want to see Chiss and Mara Jade too.

I hope they dont show the insides of starships that look like water treatment plants.
    Definitely more Gungans.

DieWompRatDie likes this.
  13. arrowheadpodracer

Apr 9, 2002
    T and QHM, Han Solo had some "adventures" and so did Lando. But those books came out during the age of the OT. So, when Zahns trilogy started up, those older books were kinda cast aside, until Crispin worked them in to her *young* Han Solo trilogy. (in a very small way. it was weird.)
    Anyhoo!
    Something else I'm hoping for, that might help connect all these movies (and T, I think this speaks to your concern about how much Luke knows, since he's the last "real" Jedi and all)..
    Holocrons. They've been made canon by the clone wars and that could be a cool way for Luke learn (or have learned) more.
    OR, A Jedi who escaped the purge went in to hiding and is now at the end of his life and maybe willing come out of hiding to pass on some knowledge (particularly of what NOT to do). But they'd have to cast someone really old with a particular vibe... *coughMaxVonSydowcough* ;)

Also T (and I don't want to start a gender/casting discussion in this thread PLEASE) I agree with your thoughts about a female Jedi. I don't think the other characters should-or-would be looking at her like "wow! you're a woman!". I was actually thinking of the younger woman in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and how much ass she could kick with a lightsaber in her hand. She seemed to be in every martial arts movie there for a little while and she always killed it. I enjoyed that.

Dh, Chiss would be awesome. But I doubt we're gonna see Mara. :(

14. QueenHighMistress

May 8, 2005
    Oh, right. I forgot about those books. I even own some of them.

I think holocrons would be awesome. I was actually looking at the cast and thinking "Max VonSydow in makeup and kinda blurry in a holocron would look a lot like old Ben."

Yeah, a kick-butt woman who wasn't treated as abnormal or "chosen" or something would be great.

15. arrowheadpodracer

Apr 9, 2002
    Totally. I was just thinking the same thing earlier today.

Do you think Serkis will be used to bring a motion capture creature to life, or acting in his human form?

16. QueenHighMistress

May 8, 2005
    I'm thinking CGI motion capture. He's known for it, and there are plenty of alien races already established that would be easier in motion capture now.

Although, I think it would be a nice nod to him and SW tradition if he had a cameo in his human form.

17. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    A moral and decent Imperial that isn't sabotaged at the last second.

18. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    I just want a good plot and no unnecessary use of lens flare, CGI or fart jokes.

Joseph_Orion likes this.
  19. FanForced

FanForced Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2007
    I want great dialogue! Some funny or epic lines to quote over and over!

20. one of us

one of us Jedi Youngling

May 5, 2014
    As long as there is no Jar-Jar and plenty of R2 and lightsaber duels I am sound as a pound

21. JawaJaka

JawaJaka Jedi Knight star 2

May 24, 2011
    Oh yeah, more R2's!! AL is waiting for his casting call! :D

22. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Oh, right. I forgot about those old Han and Lando books. Thinking back, I don't think I knew about them until later, so I probably never parsed their age.

I'm going to consider things from a different point of view for a moment. Do we really want the new Jedi to get more knowledge of older Jedi traditions? Would that be a good thing, or potentially a bad thing? Yoda gave Luke a strong basis on the whole anger, fear, aggression thing so he knows the dangers there. What other aspects of Jedi tradition would be under consideration? While the Jedi did have many good points, I wonder if the new generation might be better off taking a different approach. Consider some of the ways Jedi operated such as separating children from their families and the rules of no attachment. Is that a path they should take again, or would it be better to go a different way?

23. QueenHighMistress

May 8, 2005
    As far as I'm concerned, the way Anakin brought balance to the Force was by eradicating the hierarchical, hubris-infused and appallingly backward-minded Jedi Order. Qui-Gon wasn't conformist enough to become part of the council, but he figured out how to communicate from the other side of the Veil. If the holocrons possess information on the Force itself, and how Jedi can use it, awesome. But I would really rather not see the Jedi become the more "organized religion" it had become by Obi-Wan's time. I would rather it be the sort of "spiritual path" Yoda and Obi-Wan put Luke on. (This is part of why my Star Wars tarot deck is set up the way it is. Which is totally going to be destroyed by the new movies, now that I think about it.... Poodoo.)

24. arrowheadpodracer

Apr 9, 2002
    FF, Totally :)
    T & QHM, I agree with both of you, I think. The somewhat emotionless Jedi order was clearly part of the problem, not part of the solution. Luke's love for his father and Vader's love for his son is what eventually saved them both, IMO. Sometimes emotional attachment is a good thing!
    Taking kids away from their parents may have helped them focus on training, but it also cut them off from any emotional development. That's bad. I wouldn't want that tradition be be brought back, but there may be some useful bits of info about the force or the Jedi history (like what NOT to do) that could be tucked away in a holocron in Obi-Wan's trunk on Tattooine. Luke's training was pretty limited. It was enough to keep him alive, but not what won the battle.
    I agree that the "spiritual path" is a better way to go, but I'm not sure that's really what Luke was taught. I like to think Luke came to understand that on his own. Obi-Wan asked Luke to leave his family. Yoda tried to stop Luke from going to help his friends. Luke disobeyed both times, and I think he ended up learning more by doing so. (Hooray for youthful disobedience!)
    I'm hoping these movies will bring warmth to the characters in a way that the prequels never did.

25. Joseph_Orion

Joseph_Orion Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    They were brainwashed. That's why they didn't want Anakin around because he was too old to be brainwashed. I am looking forward to seeing closure to the original trilogy cast and new adventures. I hope the heroes have even more of a dark side to them. It makes them more realistic. I'm also looking forward to what kind of villains we will see. What I hope they'll stay away from is "Remember this one guy in return of the jedi who had a small role? Well surprise, he's actually an uncle of one of the main villains and a brother in law of one of the heroes!" Sick of that small town universe lol I think I might actually stay away from everything so I can be surprised this time around lol